Large Scale Spinner Kit progress??

I've just noticed drusselmeyer's interest thread for a 1/6 Spinner - I'd say that probably means the end of the project.
I've mentioned it to Ian and he's not going to go ahead now - he's not pissed or anything, he was initially worried about cost, the amount of people interested and the amount of work involved in producing Fibreglass, Resin and vacformed kits.
It's just too risky for him now...

So it looks like this is a dead project :cry

Good luck drusselmeyer!

I've just noticed drusselmeyer's interest thread for a 1/6 Spinner - I'd say that probably means the end of the project.
I've mentioned it to Ian and he's not going to go ahead now - he's not pissed or anything, he was initially worried about cost, the amount of people interested and the amount of work involved in producing Fibreglass, Resin and vacformed kits.
It's just too risky for him now...

So it looks like this is a dead project :cry

Good luck drusselmeyer!

Too bad. There was a lot of progress there and it was near completion. Wasn't it a full 1/4 scale Studio scale size?

Mine is a compromise between a really large scale and the really humongous large scale. I am sure there is demand for multiple scales.

In any case, it would be nice to see it completed.

It's a pity alright - I don't think his heart is in it anymore.
He took his original model apart to make it more accurate and then just stopped.
Finding out there was a similar project just kind of killed it which is a real shame especially since I really wanted one too...

Here's a last look.

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1975.jpg

Picture252.jpg

octo4007.jpg

NOVMODELSHOTS03009.jpg

NOVMODELSHOTS03001.jpg

It is truly a pity because I think drusselmeyer and the rest of us would have been willing to back his project if he was willing to continue working on it. The 'other' project is at this point only talk, But it sounds like drusselmeyer's game plan is pretty good, so I will back it if it is going to go forward. I just don't think it is fair to blame drusselmeyer for the death of this project.

It is truly a pity because I think drusselmeyer and the rest of us would have been willing to back his project if he was willing to continue working on it. The 'other' project is at this point only talk, But it sounds like drusselmeyer's game plan is pretty good, so I will back it if it is going to go forward. I just don't think it is fair to blame drusselmeyer for the death of this project.

You've got me wrong androidandy!
It's not drusselmeyer - he definitely not getting blamed!
I think Ian was looking for an excuse to stop...
I think the project would have stopped regardless of drusselmeyer's 1/6 project.
drussels' project sounds fantastic - he's got my backing up to the hilt and he can have all the research we've collected too.

I didn't mean to be a bad influence on this project since mine is not strictly 'studio scale'. Even at 1/6 scale I know that the size will be pushing the limits of collectibility. Anything smaller would just not be quite right somehow.

While it could be considered a studio scale size model, mine will be smaller than the actual shooting model and therefore more a collector's scale.

If I thought there would be enough support, I might try it. I have serious doubts about the number of purists that would not only want a full size studio scale, but would have a place for it.

If there is an audience for the 1/4 scale, 4' long, model anyone already has in progress, he would have to make his own decisions on whether or not he wants to share that gigantic mountain of work.

Personally, I would have liked to have learned all the problems and pitfalls of the project before jumping into it.

Last edited:
'Kipple' over at Bladezone/kipplezone is willing to offer PETG/Lexan sheet at only cost of shipping for this project. Hope it can be of help. I will post a link to these Threads at propsummit as well.

Andy

Yeah, as a kit, the Drusselmayer spinner would have sold but as a completed piece, I don't think the average collector would be into it. I have only attempted smaller things but a spinner of that scale would take years and loads of time and devotion but the final product would be astounding...

I am getting pretty excited about this again. A good guy to contact about this would be http://shapestorm.com/

He worked on the graphics for the Sci-Fi Museum restoration and may be a member here.

Hehe yeah he's a member here and a friend of mine. I'll give 'em a nudge about all of the wonderful BR stuff being discussed over here... he doesn't hit these boards much.
Hehe you'd go sick over the BR stuff he's had access to...... i know I do whenever we talk about it ;)

I figured you had a connection to him when you posted those spinner pics on propsummit. I would love to talk to him more sometime. He is an inspiration (or a curse) to BR fans and collectors. I am sure he is a pretty busy guy too. The only people who might be more of an expert on the Spinner would be Gene Winfield, and Mark Stetson from what I have read. I have heard about his collection, but could only imagine what he might have. I have only been serious about this myself for the past year and a half, so I have a long way to go.

Well, according to my notes:

1/4th scale = 46.25"
1/6th scale = 30.83"
1/8th scale = 23.125"
1/12th scale = 15.41"
1/16th scale = 11.56"
1/48th scale = 3.85"

All of this is based on the blueprint's stated length of 15' 5" (185"). Whether or not Gene Winfield or the EEG guys built it exactly to spec, we won't know unless we go to Paris and examine the original with a ruler. Do we have a RPF bureau in Paris?

Gene

Sorry to hijack this but...

I'm still working without a decent BP set here, so I can't really read as many numbers as I would like.

Does the BP say 15.5 or 15" 6"? Yes it is only a difference between 30.83" and 31" but it is a difference.

Since I'm still working with stringers, it is not yet critical, but it will be.

Does the BP say 15.5 or 15" 6"?

It says 15'-5" long, (185")

Other info -
Wheelbase 10'-0",

Overall width (at the front, in flying mode, from the tip of the wheel light to the tip of the wheel light) 8'-1"

Distance from rear bumper to CL of rear wheel (axle) 3'-11"

Though it doesn't specifically call out the dimension, doing the math, that makes the distance from the front tip of the front wheel to the CL of the of the front wheel 1'-6"

Gene

I don't know about this particular Spinner project, but Randy Cooper is also working on a studio scale Spinner...

http://randycoopermodels.com/

Our very own GKvfx recently provided Randy with a veritable treasure trove of previously unreleased images and blueprints. Having seen the reference in question I can assure you Randy has all the images/ blueprints he needs to knock this one out of the park.

Blade Runner fans have waited a long time for a model worthy of this particular subject. Here's hoping the finished kit will deliver the goods.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back