NASA ACES HELMET

Hughes

Starting another NASA ACES Helmet build. I've included pictures of the first one finished. This helmet is also a print from Wesley Tarr files. I've just started sanding and it's really bringing back some memories of the process. Lots and lots of sanding and filler primer. Fortunately I already have everything this time around to vacuum form the visors.

Attachments

• 1708299289672.jpeg
    1708299289672.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2549.JPG
    IMG_2549.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2755.jpg
    IMG_2755.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 100
  • NASA.jpg
    NASA.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_7385.JPG
    IMG_7385.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7390.JPG
    IMG_7390.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7384.JPG
    IMG_7384.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 80
Noticed some areas that have 3D printing issues that I missed on sanding.

image.jpg

Trimming these ridges down and then painting again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Orbital Surplus listed a complete ACES /S-1035 helmet kit on their eBay store, with most of the parts being molded directly off real helmet hardware.
The one thing I have notice with about all the replica ACES helmets I have seen, is they all have pretty significant differences from the real helmets. Which I understand, as getting ahold of a real one is not really an option.

That kit is great. It is not complete though.
It is missing the covers to keep the parachute cords from getting caught on the sides of the visor mechanism.

Last edited:
Orbital Surplus listed a complete ACES /S-1035 helmet kit on their eBay store, with most of the parts being molded directly off real helmet hardware.
The one thing I have notice with about all the replica ACES helmets I have seen, is they all have pretty significant differences from the real helmets. Which I understand, as getting ahold of a real one is not really an option.
At least weekly I check on what is for sale from Orbital Surplus on eBay. I've actually bought a bunch of stuff from Orbital Surplus and been really pleased with everything I got. That ACES helmet kit has some really cool stuff with it including the Bail bar and visors.

It is missing the covers to keep the parachute cords from getting caught on the sides of the visor mechanism.
I do have an extra set of 3d printed covers I would send to who-ever purchased that helmet. They probably aren't 100% the same as the originals, but pretty close.

Well, thanks to sharp eyed folks like you.....I believe this has been corrected. The staff have received a couple of inquires about the parachute shrouds, and they did miss their inclusion in the kit. But I have been told this has been rectified, with the 2 ABS pieces now included.

Last edited:
Well, thanks to sharp eyed folks like you.....I believe this has been corrected. The staff have received a couple of inquires about the parachute shrouds, and they did miss their inclusion in the kit. But I have been told this has been rectified, with the 2 ABS pieces now included.
Wow that kit went for over $3k. hope we get a chance to see it coming together on RPF.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back