Original Golden Idol from Raiders here...

Ill throw in a little something here. I was told back in 95 that LFL had a problem with castings being taken off of archive materials. So they put out an idol that had a 'headband' and waited to see when it showed up for sale at conventions. So if the story is true If you see an idol with the headband it was casted off the trap.

Any truth to this Don?

Wow! This thread is an amazing source of information on this most famous [or should I say infamous] of props! I'm hoping to score one of Gobler idols soon! :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Should I hold out on getting the Sideshow idol for something more screen accurate?
Had sideshow simply made the darn thing SA, this dilema would not be in my way.
Great thread - always better to be 'in the know'

Should I hold out on getting the Sideshow idol for something more screen accurate?

Well, Sideshow MAY end up changing the mouth, nipples, feet and detail on the child's face but I doubt it. LFL likes that there isn't a screen accurate licensed version.

THE only way to get screen accurate is to nut up and buy a Gobler idol.

Brad

I have just read through this entire thread. It has a wealth of knowledge not in any books or other places I can find. Agreed - it should be vacuum-gold plated then archived.

... Are you saying it should be in a museum? :rolleyes

Agreed, this thread is easily an engrossing read, even for someone not that into this particular prop. As an iconic, frequently-replicated item, it's story is a beautiful example of what happens in this, er, "industry."

I missed this the first time (it was before I was a member here) but seeing the original pictures was interesting to me - just seeing how props age over the years aways reminds me of how fragile many of them are. Several years ago I went to a haunted house with Tom Savini's name attached, there were several glass cabinets around the queue line with props he worked on including Fluffy from Creepshow. After 15 or so years (I think that was the time) there was very little left other than the fiberglass understructure, only a few bits of latex and hair were still attached around the edges. I wish they didn't actively prohibit photography, if they didn't then I'd have some pictures to show.

Just giving this thread a friendly bump. Fyfe reminded me of its existence recently, and I remembered it was one of the reasons I joined RPF in the first place. I think its a good reminder of what to strive for in threads, and perhaps there is some more info out there.

This is a great thread and for me personally one I have a very keen interest in!! I just need to remember that the answers we seek are out there, and just a little digging through very old threads will reveal them. All part of the fun!

The day I receive my Gobler Idol I will be a happy man!!

GeordieIndy

Last edited:
Figured I would give another friendly bump to *what I think* is the best thread on the RPF for the new crowd. I look at this thread every once in a while and it reminds me why I check these boards incessantly and why I am proud to call myself a member.

To add a question, it seems we never came to a consensus on why there were two sculpts with different mouths? I suppose the running theory is that one was sculpted by Elstree in London and the other by ILM in CA, since that is where the mechanics for the eyes were installed (Note, just a theory). It might tie together why idols offered by Elstree, as Jason discussed, all apear to have mouths curled down. I believe Gobler explained that the stunt version was indeed from the "left" idol, presumably a curled down version?

In the pic of the two idols at the Archives, I am intrigued how the "eyed" idol, presumably the hero idol, has a seam while the frowning, solid eyed, version does not.

Discuss.:lol

Brandon Allinger from prop store got this after going to the original locations at hawaii and asking locals who worked as crew members on the film. It's amazing that this little guy stayed in the same area he was filmed in for 30 years.

To add a question, it seems we never came to a consensus on why there were two sculpts with different mouths?

Well actually the consensus is that the "frown" mouth idol was resculpted and presented to Mr. Hata who organized the Japanese exhibit. Most likely Lucas wanted changes made to the idol, to preserve the original idols value and importance. The first time we ever saw it was in the "From Star Wars to Indiana Jones" book, which all the photos are from the Japanese Exhibit. Since then, I am sure that several of the "frown" mouth idols were cast and given out.

The regular mouth idol is the ONLY one ever seen on screen or in production photos.

Thanks Brad, that clears up a lot.

In that picture from the archives in this thread that shows the two idols (one with gold eyes and a frown and the other with human eyes and no frown), is it your opinion that the frowned idol is the refurbished, resculpted original from which the Hata cast was made?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back