Real LeMat grips on a Denix? (for Jayne's Boo)

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all,

So... I've been wanting to replace the crappy plastic grips on my Jayne's Boo pistol (from Firefly of course) with real wood grips. I finally got 'round to finding my local distributor of Pietta parts and ordered a set.

Since real grips usually don't just bolt right on Denix replicas I was wondering if anyone here has replaced theirs with the real thing and if there were any problems? (I know moffeaton had a set for sale a while back and mentioned something about some grinding needed.)

Last edited:
I seem to recall discussing this very thing (maybe with Moff) and the result was that Pietta grips don't fit a Denix at all due to size/shape.
Could be wrong though.
SAS

I found his old FS thread in the JY and he seemed to imply that they'd fit with a little grinding work. If he doesn't chime in here, I'll shoot him a PM.

Only thing is how to rework the grips without damaging the diamond pattern. It's not like reshaping a set of smooth grips!

I seem to recall discussing this very thing (maybe with Moff) and the result was that Pietta grips don't fit a Denix at all due to size/shape.
Could be wrong though.
SAS

Its my understanding that the Pietta grips are close to profile but a little short.
So its necessary to build up the bottom of the grip frame
(like with epoxy putty)
to close the gap to the grips.
I wasn't told about any screw location issues, but like the grip frame, it would make more sense to fill and drill the frame rather than modify the grips.
The same would apply to ANY fit issues, building up or grinding down the Denix frame to match the Pietta grips.
I painted my Denix with a semi-gloss black that I feel gives the nicest replication of a gun finish.

I originally planned to put walnut Pietta grips on my "Boo", but I don't feel up to starting my LeMat project up again, (four was enough).

CopyofJayneslematall.jpg

It is fairly easy to tell which 3 sets of grips I did in a fake woodgrain finish compared to just painted.
Good enough for me...

Mike

I had hoped the Mal grip project would have come through as there was a posiblity that LeMat grips could have been next. I'd rather have wood grips when I eventually finish mine too...Plastic is no fun.

I've already got wood grain paint on my grips... and it looks... ok. Here it is (sans lanyard ring and metal trigger guard upgrade) together with one of Phil's resin Mal pistols.

fireflyguns.jpg

(Thanks to the Wackychimp for hosting.)

I covered my Boo in semi-clear smoke lacquer with some black mixed in to replicate the real thing.

But the thing is so heavy that the thin plastic creaks and shifts whenever I pick it up! I'm trying to go all out as much as I can with my Firefly props (which is why Vera/Alice will be all-metal) and the plastic grips have been bugging me all along. I tried to live with resin grips on my Sidkit Serenity... but I just couldn't... so I carved out a set of wood grips for it. Just adds so much to the feel of the thing.

Thanks for the tips. Modifying the Denix shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both look fantastic Joe. A little blue in the overcoat for boo would add even more realism to it. What did you use for Mal's gun?

I think I just used some regular gold spraypaint on the Mal... then covered with black-brown Tamiya acrylic that I rubbed off with window cleaner. That's how I do a lot of weathering and I did something similar with the Proton pack I'm working on except I took off the Tamiya with duct and masking tape so that it flaked. I actually thought the Mal looked really crappy... it was kind of a rush job... so after I got both of Sidkit's guns I went back and started to do all all-black/blue "pristine" coat on the resin version. Just never got 'round to finishing it properly.

I also want to polish up the aluminum parts on Boo so they get that "dark chrome" look in the shadows like on the real thing. The aluminum looks a little flat. But first... wood grips!

'Twas Mr. Baldwin himself in a short video that was on Fox's website. He named the LeMat "Boo" and his Bowie knife "Binky".

I recall you did them on your Roland MDX-20, correct? Which was the hard part... doing the 3D model or getting good results from the mill?

Sorry missed the last 2 posts - checkering was done by hand, with a file, like all good checkering :) Here's a pic of a reject/practice piece I just found.

lemat_grip_filing.jpg

Yes the basic shape was CNC milled but they required a lot of hand finishing, multiple coats of gun stock oil, rubbing down with steel wool, and careful filing. I won't be making any more anytime soon.

Never had a problem 3D modeling or getting a good result from the MDX - the walnut was a bit more challenging since the spindle speed is way too slow for wood. To CNC the checkering you'd really need a 4 axis mill to keep the tool perpendicular to the grip - and a much higher speed spindle.

I'm aware of this threads age, but I was wondering if someone could share with me a photo of their LeMat's spring assembly...so that I could properly reassemble mine.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back