Star Trek XI Uniform shirts

So yes, to answer your question - its still on its way, but moving a little slower than expected. The economy has really slowed things down for us in regard to prototyping.

As you know, we don't settle for halfway or even 89% of the way in regard to accuracy. I think about this project just about everyday now.

I modified the image from post #11 to have more vertical space between the symbols and to stagger the columns, as it more closely resembles what I see in publicity pics and freezeframes from the trailers so far.

deltapattern.png

I doubt the movie studio had decided to do the pattern to thwart copies being made. The design was likely created by the costume designer with the director's approval - not to stop fans from making copies, but to add that dimension to an otherwise flat and plain costume piece - that's why Supes and Spidey's costumes had patterns in them - updates the costume to a more modern flare while maintaining the original design.
There are a number of companies online who specialize in direct-to-garment printing - some require larger runs than others, but I think that having the shields digitally printed onto our fabric choice won't be a problem - I don't think this is a project suitable to do at home so that's why taking it to professionals is the key.
Lets keep this one going so hopefully we have these shirts in time for the release of the movie!

Frosty hit it on the head. To do it right, you HAVE to do it professionally, but the issue is its a massive project which requires numbers. Dana and I are going to be using our previous resources from the BSG projects (hey, now that its over :) from overseas to do this project. If you noticed too, this isn't just about the shirts but the pants are custom too so we are looking into this. We are gathering the best resources around us but the best thing everyone can do to help is keep RESEARCHING. We still don't have certain aspects of this thing figured out and once this one run is done, that's it. No reruns so we want to get it right as much as possible now.

wondring if ehy did a sub-dye thing for the pattern lik ehtey did for sups returns (yeah that was lycra) hmmmm.

Oh yeah...I want!

The steps to get things rolling:
1) Finalize the pattern
2) Choose the correct fabric(s)
3) Find a company online that specializes in direct-to-garment printing, and will also print to fabric supplied to them. Also determine what thier minimum order requirements are, figure out if the three different color fabrics (gold, red, blue) can be included in the overall order as apposed to seperate jobs.
4) Find a suitable seamstress or costume maker whom can produce the shirts from the pattern and fabric provided - get a price quote for individual shirts - generic sizes or custom fit?
5) Produce a prototype with pictures to post here
6) Begin taking orders. Appropriate cost for a piece like this (including emblem) would be around $75 - $90 considering absolute accuracy.

I think the only thing I can help with is doing some looking around online for a printing company who can handle the job. The method used is not important, so long as the results match the screen-used counterpart.

Time is indeed running very short if we want these in time for opening day (or for most of us, the midnight show!)

We could also try throwing this idea towards Indy Magnoli. He may be able to help, though not sure if our strict time budget will be acceptable.

I'll be honest. I don't think there is enough time to get these produced, finished and into customers hands by the opening of the movie. :unsure

You're right - not enough time to do the quality we want, which is a darn shame because that would be the absolute best time to wear them out.
On the bright side, without a strict deadline, more carefull attention can be made to get these done.
Does anyone feel we should wait until after the movie is released to really get the ball rolling? I am sure by then we will have more images to reference.

As stated numerous times before, dgasser and I are on this. This does not preclude anyone else from doing these but as anyone can attest to our standard of accuracy - we're pretty dedicated.:)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back