Vibro axe again. (See post #129 - #132)

Re: Vibro axe again.

Yeah, I noticed the 2 by 2 thing, on the lower grips, too. At first I was thinking it could be one of those kinds of cord that are kind of flatter, and have a grove down the center. Well.... like the cord on the Supermax. :)

But looking at it closer, it does kind of look a little more rounded.

I know at one point in the past, it was thought the the top one, might be that kind of plastic covered wire, like is found on old hair dryers. (Like they use on Tie pilot helmet, to chest box tubes.)

I'm just trying to get this right the first time, because as lazy as I am, once I get one, built, I'm really, really, not going to want to make another one, just to fix what ever mistake I make on the first one.

about the side blades (the weird shaped things on the sides of the blade). What material should I cut them out off, and how think. I know I've seen a lot of replicas with what looks to be play wood. I'm guessing 1/4" think? (but I would rather check, then waste my time.)

Also, on the Yamaha parts, I have a very nice casting of the top part now. (thanks to Moncal :) ) But, I know that it goes on top of another part. Do I really need that other part? It looks like I could get the same look, with something like stacking washers under the part I already have. What do you all think?

about the side blades (the weird shaped things on the sides of the blade). What material should I cut them out off, and how think. I know I've seen a lot of replicas with what looks to be play wood. I'm guessing 1/4" think? (but I would rather check, then waste my time.)

Also, on the Yamaha parts, I have a very nice casting of the top part now. (thanks to Moncal :) ) But, I know that it goes on top of another part. Do I really need that other part? It looks like I could get the same look, with something like stacking washers under the part I already have. What do you all think?

ive just measured my blade thickness and side bits. sizes are in mm. i dont do 1/4s or whatever it is.

now the total width has to be within the width of the supermax housing.

heres what i came up with. it was built up with plastic card,including the side bits.

blade thickness 19mm

side bits each 4mm

as for the bit under the yamaha part,

lets just say a hairbrush went "missing" from the bathroom one day. it may have fallen onto my dremel cutting disk. serves it right for having the correct dimention/profile i needed. to this day its never been found:lol

z

while im on i used one of these pen lids for the piece directly under the supermax, the bit that has the pipe/tube going into it.

i did give it a bit of modification here and there and added plastic card but it has more or less a resonable shape for a vibro axe part.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-X-STABILO-H...wItemQQimsxZ20080828?IMSfp=TL0808281819r23551

z

Thanks for your help Zorg on this, it's been invaluable. The blade measurements are just what I needed, and the info on that part bellot the suppermax that the rod goes into, is a big help too, as most of the pics of the real vibro, I have so far, aren't very clear about that part.(the funny angles make it hard to get a read on the shape and all. )

Here are two more questions. :)

1. Are there any good sources left, for the tip. I went looking today, and all I could find was the modern rubber part with the wrong clamp, and just treading where the metal tip should be. I know some members have had luck in finding the accurate dishwasher adaptors. Does anyone have any left, or know of someone who does?

2. (this is kind of for Zorg, because I like what he came up with, but if anyone else has an idea chime on in. :) ) On the part that goes beside the blade. (the bit on the bendy rod.) I know what I want to use for the tube bits that round on the ends where it meets up with the rod. But what about the middle bits. (the parts with all the bumps, and grooves, and threading.)

Ok, lets make it 3, if I'm to take out the grill/mesh in the vent of the supermax, how should I do it, as not to damage the supermax, and should I put something in its place? (in other words ,should I put a piece of plastic, or something, behind the vent, or just leave it open? )

Thanks again for everyone's help so far.

Right then. I'll take #3 :)

Can't remember if there are just little washers holding the mesh? or was the plastic melted to hold it?
I did all the work with a dremmel from inside, with the SM opened at the seam, I removed anything inside.
I have 3 extra dryers here, so i'll take a look tomorrow if you don't get a real answer by then.
any-hoo, IMO, Leave the vent holes open, but paint everything inside the dryer black.

BTW, I used a wooden 1" pole for mine and used 2 1.5" screws to attach my homemade wooden blade

can't help ya with finding the tip 'cause I carved my own from wood to match the VD version, then drilled a hole up top and added a hollow bolt greebly to top it off.

Last edited:

why do you want to remove the mesh?

it looks ok with it in.

z

why do you want to remove the mesh?

it looks ok with it in.

z

Well, I actually don't want to remove it. I actually really like the look of the mesh, but I was just trying to get this as close as possible to the real deal, and so far most people have been telling me to get rid of it. I'm yet to get any close up pics of the real one, to be able to tell, so I'm mainly just gathering opinions.

1. Are there any good sources left, for the tip. I went looking today, and all I could find was the modern rubber part with the wrong clamp, and just treading where the metal tip should be. I know some members have had luck in finding the accurate dishwasher adaptors. Does anyone have any left, or know of someone who does?

What you saw is still the wrong part. Both types are still manufactured (wide thread end and quick release tip) it's just more places seem to carry only the wide threaded one. The new ones have black rubber instead of grey and the wrong clamps.
I've seen a couple of the wrong parts lately that had the right clamp, but only one correct tip (wrong clamp) recently.

What you saw is still the wrong part. Both types are still manufactured (wide thread end and quick release tip) it's just more places seem to carry only the wide threaded one. The new ones have black rubber instead of grey and the wrong clamps.
I've seen a couple of the wrong parts lately that had the right clamp, but only one correct tip (wrong clamp) recently.

Hm, the one I saw had the gray rubber, but the wrong clamp, and threading, no quick release tip. :(

Well, I actually don't want to remove it. I actually really like the look of the mesh, but I was just trying to get this as close as possible to the real deal, and so far most people have been telling me to get rid of it. I'm yet to get any close up pics of the real one, to be able to tell, so I'm mainly just gathering opinions.

yeah and those people probably have white at-at pilot helmets :lol

z

2. (this is kind of for Zorg, because I like what he came up with, but if anyone else has an idea chime on in. :) ) On the part that goes beside the blade. (the bit on the bendy rod.) I know what I want to use for the tube bits that round on the ends where it meets up with the rod. But what about the middle bits. (the parts with all the bumps, and grooves, and threading.)

If this is the part you're talking about:

axe-pipe.jpg

Then Adamata has a superb tutorial on how to make one with easily available parts:

Vibroaxe pipe assembly

I have a question of my own. This has always bugged me.

Is the label molded on the Supermax hairdryer supposed to be there, or covered over?

I notice Zorg left it uncovered on his:

SupermaxLabel-1.jpg

If this is the part you're talking about:

axe-pipe.jpg

Then Adamata has a superb tutorial on how to make one with easily available parts:

Vibroaxe pipe assembly

Yeah, that's the part I mean. I actually have one of Adamata's replicas of the part, but I noticed that the real one has threading, and knurling, and I was just hoping to get a little closer to screen accurate.

I have a question of my own. This has always bugged me.

Is the label molded on the Supermax hairdryer supposed to be there, or covered over?

I notice Zorg left it uncovered on his:

SupermaxLabel-1.jpg

its not covered up on the real prop / props

z

Hey gang, I am so close to having everyting I need to make this prop happen, but I just can not find one of those dishwasher parts for the tip ANYWHERE.:( I've updated my wanted add, in the junkyard, but I wanted to mension it here to. If anyone has one of these, can get one, or konws where I can get an ACCURATE one, please help me out.

I'm totally lost on the blades. Some folks are say the main blade, and the side blades should all fight withing the opening in the Supermax, but other say the side blades set out side the opening, and don't go in at all. In the pics bellow, of the real prop, it loos to me like the side blades set outside of the the hole. If you look in the first pic I have posted it looks (to me) like the face of the side blade is almost even with the outside edge of the step (were the metal piece originally set before you disassemble the hairdryer). If that's the case, and the and the blade is the only thing in the hole, well that would make the blade almost 25mm wide (the width of the opening in the fround of the hairdryer.) Witch seems too wide. But, if the it where thinner then that, and the side blades set out side the opening, then there would be a gap there.

Like wise. If the side blades do set indise the opening in the frount of the hairdryer, then there would be a gap just above, and bellow both side blades, as they go into the the opening. Because, the part of both side blades that is closest to the supermax isn't as tall as the main blade at that point. (in the side shots you can see the part of the main blade that goes into the supermax peeking over the top, and bottom of the side blade just a little.)

I know all of this is about as clear as mud, but I really ame tyrying to get this figured out, and I want to get it right. I was plaing on cutting the would tomorrow, but know I don't have any idea what sizes to go with. Am I supposed to modify the opening in the fround of the supermax? Are all 3 blades inside the natrual opening in the frount of the supermax?(if so that space is like 25mm, so the measurements of 4mm for each of the side blade, and 19mm for the main blade wouldn't fight because that would be a total of 27mm) Also, if they are to fight in thge natural opening, the what do I do about the gap that would be above, and bellow the side blades? If the side blades are not supposed to be inside, then still what do I do about the gap above, and bellow them? I don't think the blade would be 25mm side, would it? ARG! help. PLEASE!

newone1.jpg

newone2.jpg

newone3.jpg

profpic1.jpg

ON a side note, in that last pic, it does look like the mesh has been removed, and something else put behind the vents. (like a piece of plastic.)

Notice anything weird about this picture?

newone1.jpg

It's from the MOM companion book. (I've cropped in on it, for my last post) I've studied this pic so many times, I see it in my sleep, but today I was looking at both my supermax's, and I noticed something, I've never seen in any other pic. If you look closely in at the area I have circled in the pic, You just might see it too. See in the groove, near the front of the hairdryer (I think it was originally there to hold on an accessory when it was a hairdryer.) ? On both of mine that groove is even all the way down, with one little bump near the bottom of it. However, in this pic there is a step in the groove, just about level with the top of the side blade. HM? It almost looks like the side blade goes through the front of the supermax, and through that groove, and into the body of the hairdryer. (In other words it looks like they cut way not only a little of the face of the hairdryer, but part of the groove, to accommodate the blade continuing into the body.)

What do you all think?

Oh, and you can kind of see it in this pic too. :)
newvibrofindone.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back