Vibro axe again. (See post #129 - #132)

Re: Vibro axe again.

Russ make metal Vader chestbox rods. I thought about getting resin ones but afraid they'd break too easily while the axe is being handled.

Anyone have any idea where to get the round discs that connect the thin metal pipes to the 1" pipe? I'm still missing those parts, and a couple of blaster grilles...

I'm making my own hardware vader rod, and it loose pretty darn good so far. :) I used a piece of steel rod, cut down. then I found some stainless steel (I thing that's what there made of) "spacers" that (once cut down) fit perfectly over the rod, and make up the higher steps along the rod. For the rings in the middle I used washers. I just used a an old hear sink (like you would find on a han GK blaster) to hold, and space out the washers, then I slid the rod in (before I added the spacers) and used a hell of a lot of supper glue. (making sure not to glue it to the heat sink ) Once the glue set up a little, I bicked it up, and added, a lot more glue in the groove, for extra strength. Then I glued the spacers in place. Polished it up bit, and now all I have to do is make up the flat pieces on the end. (witch I have almost finished, I just need to cut them down, and drill them out for the screws. :) ) All together it cost me less then $10. and it's all metal. :) (mostly steel. :) ) I'll get pics of it when it, and my clamp for my tip are done. :)

Anybody know where I get the part that resembles a Darth Vader chest rod? I think that's the only part I don't have a lead on...

Most have used replica Vader rods although the Ax ones aren't exactly the same.
I started a hardware version like Jason, but it's still unfinished.
Maybe with enough interest there could be a run of Vibro Ax rods. I think Chris Reiff (Mr. Sparkle) already has a blueprint.

Well, this doesn't come close to doing it justice, but I put my "Vader rod" (were it is so far) in my scanner (because I don't have a digital camera) just to give you an idea what I'm taking about. But, it really does look 1,000 times better in person.

postpicrod-1.jpg

It's a little off (maybe a tad short, etc.) bot over all, I'm happy with it. You can't beet all metal (mostly steel) for less then $10. :) it was pretty hard to cut down the spacers. (their tuff little buggers, and there isn't much to hold on to, so it was a nightmare to use with the dremel, on them. ) So there not perfect, but they flaws don't show up in person nearly as much.

Last edited:

I made some progress on my Axe:
RF_Axe_1030_01.jpg

RF_Axe_1030_02.jpg

As you can see, it's still in primer - I'm waiting to see if I can get my hands on the Yamaha part to complete it. If I can't - I'll have to scratch build that part.
I scratch-built my Vader chest rod (thanks to Jason for inspiration) and I threw together a quick substitute for the Threepio screw. Other than that, everything else is authentic found items.
Hope you enjoy the pics, and please let me know if you have a yamaha bit to sell me! ;)

Last edited:

Amazing, just amazing! I was making some real progress on mine a wile back, but I've ben at about a dead stop for weeks. :( I wish my props had such quick turnaround time, with such great results. Did you make the blades yourself? Any tips there? (I still have to do mine.) Your vader rod looks really good, do you have any close ups, and what did you use to make yours? :)

I'm still envious about the tip, I check all my old hardware stores yet again, and nope. the nearest "Do it best" is 2 hours away, and I don't drive. :lol

Oh, Mon Cal can cast you up a Yamaha part. I got 2 from him just a month, or two, ago for a great price. :) Really, really good castings too, very clean, and solid, with no real clean up needed. :) (Hope he doesn't mind me posting that, if so, I'll take it down. )

It really does look great so far. :)

Thanks Jason,

I'd been aching to build something for months, so when I started this I went full force. My props usually tke much longer :lol
The Vader rod - it's pretty wonky, but I like it that way. I used an aluminum rod for the base with aluminum spacers cut to size, some brass cap-things for the knurled parts (they're too big), small washers for the 3 middle disks, and 2 parts I don't even know what they are for the end pieces - they were small hinge-like things. Here's a pic:
RF_Axe_1030_ROD.jpg

I made the blade from plexiglass and styrene sheet. It's made from 3 pieces sandwiched with the larger piece in the center, and I filled it in with bondo to create the blade. Came out great, and it was easier than I was expecting.

How about I trade you an accurate tip for one of your extra Yamaha parts?

Dexvader,

I drilled 2 holes in the part of the blade that fits inside the supermax and attached it with zip ties. I then covered that all with the supermax which is attached to the pipe via a screw (which is now covered my the giant C-3PO screw-thing).

Let me know if you have an extra Yamaha part! ;)

Thanks,

Awesome, PM sent about the yamaha part. :) For mine I just used more spacers for the knurled parts, because it didn't look kurled on the real prop to me, but now I kind of wish I had, because that looks much better.

RF_Axe_1030_ROD.jpg

Wow, you made that? I'm impressed! I'll have to make two soon, so this is great reference! Thanks!

Thanks Zorg too for all the reference pics thus far!

Thanks Zorg! You and your axe were an inspiration. Your measurments and photos were invaluable - thanks again!

im glad to help out where i can. if i can save people time then thats good. i wish i had those pics when building mine. i tried to post stuff i wish i had when i started out.

z

RF_Axe_1030_ROD.jpg

Wow, you made that? I'm impressed! I'll have to make two soon, so this is great reference! Thanks!

Thanks Zorg too for all the reference pics thus far!

yeah that is impressive, i thought it was a machined part:eek

Im putting the finishing touches on mine .All I am needing are the Vader Rod and Blaster grill.

Anyone have a spare?

i have wanted to make a vibro axe for the longest time now but the one thing that stops me is how will i make the blade. does someone have a templet to use for cutting the blade the size and shape? i figure over time i can find the other parts it has allways been the blade holding me up.

Some of us use a plastic butcher knife as a base and insert 3/4" plank into it, some scratch build with 3/4" plank.

I have saved a template that was floating around years ago. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. The template do not have any measurements but you can use measurements Zorg posted earlier to extrapolate the exact dimensions.

Real Fakes, Zorg, and others have make blades out of stacked pieces of different kinds o plastic and blondo. (body filler.)

Admittedly though, the blades are what has kept me away from doing this prop all of the these years. In fact, I finaly decided to just dive in to this project a few months ago, after wanting one for so long, and I was on a really good role with it to, 'til I started getting close to time to work on the blades, and I've slowed way down on it. :(

I have a couple of the plastic knives, but the tip just isn't pointy enough, so I would prefer to use something else. Or find way to fortify the edge of the blade. (the part a square block of wood would not reach. )

I have the templates that floated around here, and my Dad said he would take a shot at cutting them out of wood for me. But, I don't know how he, or I, would do a blade edge on the big one, with the lousy tools we have. And even if we could fix it up nice, Wood would have to be filled to make it not look like would, that means it would add to the thinkness, and it would no longer be the right thickness.

I like the stacked plastics idea, but the tools I have in my apartment, barely cut butter, so I see much chance of wasted time, money, and plastic.

I'll figure something out, but it has slowed me down on this.

I have a bad habit of starting projects, doing really well on them, and then when I hit some bumps, moving on to others, and coming beck later. (I have an incredible number of half finished props laying around here. :()

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back