Recasting a Sci-Fi Icon; The Classic Star Trek Communicator

Phez...maybe you or John can answer this as I am seeing (or think I am) something in these shots that MAY be a trick of the light or something else.
In the well of the prototype the top inner edge of the well on the left side looks noticably shallower then the right side...its like the well is shallow by the left hinge wheel and gets deeper as it reaches the right hinge wheel. I dont see this on the original in the side by side shots. Is that how it is on the original or is this something that happened when that area was 'fixed' after the casting of the shells? Or is it a lighting thing and Im just tired?

John is swamped and asked if I had time to update this thread.
This is the first prototype created from the bucks made from casting the original.

Prototype
CFOPic1Proto.jpg

Bottom (Prototype) top (original).
CFOPic2.jpg

Metal ring, Right (Prototype) left (original).
CFOPic3.jpg

Right (Prototype) left (original).
CFOPic4

Bottom (Prototype) top (original).
CFOPic5.jpg

Inside shell detail, Bottom (replica) top (original).
CFOPic6.jpg

Prototype
CFOPic7.jpg

Prototype
CFOPic8.jpg

"Phez...maybe you or John can answer this as I am seeing (or think I am) something in these shots that MAY be a trick of the light or something else.
In the well of the prototype the top inner edge of the well on the left side looks noticably shallower then the right side...its like the well is shallow by the left hinge wheel and gets deeper as it reaches the right hinge wheel. I dont see this on the original in the side by side shots. Is that how it is on the original or is this something that happened when that area was 'fixed' after the casting of the shells? Or is it a lighting thing and Im just tired?"

It sort of gets a bit shallower and angles back toward the top of the shells. There is a bunch of wanks and small details that are on the kit shells that transfered from the origenal shells (if you look at the inside of the back shell you can tell the amount of detail that was transfered. You can't really tell them apart except for the glue). It is completely nailed down to the smallest detail.

The real one is on hand to do A/B comparisons of the area so I doubt we would see any evidence of the fixed area that is different from the real one. I do not know for sure but I think with that kind of reference matching that area was likely trivial.

None of the parts on the prototype are made to look distressed so as it is handled and gets dirty it will look closer and closer to one of the originals.

Last edited:
"I noticed that too. I think it's an artifact of the original, I can see it in this shot."

You can totally see it in that shot you posted Rob

Wow, that's nice! It is indeed hard to tell them apart.

(splitting hairs dept)
Is it an illusion or are the holes in the repro grill just an eensy bit smaller than the original?

Wow, that's nice! It is indeed hard to tell them apart.

(splitting hairs dept)
Is it an illusion or are the holes in the repro grill just an eensy bit smaller than the original?

I asked about that also but it is just the light hitting the polished brass and washing the holes out (the hole edges sort of blend with the top of the lid). If you hold the brass up against the origenal the holes are exactly the same size and spacing.

If you look at the inside of the lid (lower right hand corner in this photo) you can see the difference the effect is causing. It almost looks like two different hole sizes on the same lid. As soon as it starts to tarnish I think they will photograph the same.

CFOPic7.jpg

Last edited:
It sort of gets a bit shallower and angles back toward the top of the shells. There is a bunch of wanks and small details that are on the kit shells that transfered from the origenal shells (if you look at the inside of the back shell you can tell the amount of detail that was transfered. You can't really tell them apart except for the glue). It is completely nailed down to the smallest detail.

Bunch of wanks!?:$

That must mean something different where you come from!

Thanks for the reply Phez...someone posted a nice head on shot of Zeta on another thread and yes indeed that wank is visible...amazing how we keep learning new stuff. I honestly couldnt see it clearly before but on the Zeta shots it was apparent...live and learn :)

Thanks for the reply Phez...someone posted a nice head on shot of Zeta on another thread and yes indeed that wank is visible...amazing how we keep learning new stuff. I honestly couldnt see it clearly before but on the Zeta shots it was apparent...live and learn :)

Very true man, you would not think a little model could hold so many little details. In about a month we will be able to just pull the shells out a box and have all the answers. No more need to reverse engineer and make best guesses from photos. The days of angle and lighting condition chats will soon be over for this one. :lol

Last edited:
"I really want one of these communicators but I'd rather not get one with wank in it!:sick"

I can appreciate that. However, pretty much every single Communicator
fan I've spoken to feels that "idealized" has been done to death.
What most people seem to want now, is a museum quality replica of what
was actually used on the show. So that's the direction I've decided to
go. With this kit, we will finally be able to hold in our hands a completely
faithful, re-creation of what was used on set back in the 60s.
That's what makes this kit so cool:)

Thanks everyone, for the kind words and support.

John Long

Last edited:
"I really want one of these communicators but I'd rather not get one with wank in it!:sick"

I can appreciate that. However, pretty much every single Communicator
fan I've spoken to feels that "idealized" has been done to death.
What most people seem to want now, is a museum quality replica of what
was actually used on the show. So that's the direction I've decided to
go. With this kit, we will finally be able to hold in our hands a completely
faithful, re-creation of what was used on set back in the 60s.
That's what makes this kit so cool:)

Thanks everyone, for the kind words and support.

John Long

Sorry, it was a double entendre - I'm a member of the 'Viz' generation!

I don't mind a 'wank' in my communicator shell!

I can't believe I just said that...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wank

Last edited:
Being a newbie here I just wanted to say thanks for posting the pictures and molding process.

It was refreshing to see open sharing of an original prop and the process by which you will replicate the ultimate comm.

If these are ever available, I would be very interested.

Thanks again,

Dex

Being a newbie here I just wanted to say thanks for posting the pictures and molding process.

It was refreshing to see open sharing of an original prop and the process by which you will replicate the ultimate comm.

If these are ever available, I would be very interested.

Thanks again,

Dex

These are actually a licensed kit you will be able to buy in a month or so. :)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back