1/12 R5-K6: Red Leader's Astromech… A Bandai Custom (WIP)

korben44

Master Member
Astromech's are the silent hero's (ok, maybe not that silent!) of the Rebellion. While R2-D2 is the most well known of these fascinating droids, there are plenty more that deserve the spotlight from time to time. This week's glamour shots go to Red Leader Garven Dreis' R5-K6. He's the 'Ferarri Red' of the droid world and offers up a rather time-consuming color scheme.

Here's where I'm at with him so far:

PSX_20190622_183932.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_586248786595659_20190623_220423137.jpeg

More to come soon!

P.S.: I painted all the parts (primed and color coat) on the sprues.

Last edited:
The head is going to be the most tedious. I'm looking forward to it, though. I need to practice more complex paint schemes. I'm doing an R2-Q2 along with this one. His head is challenging, as well.

The head is going to be the most tedious. I'm looking forward to it, though. I need to practice more complex paint schemes. I'm doing an R2-Q2 along with this one. His head is challenging, as well.

I tried doing it in 1/72. All those thin white lines are going to be tough. It might be worth looking though some old unused decal sheets and see if there are any white panels or strips you can cut down to size, otherwise some tedious masking.

For example, I have a whole sheet of runway waterslide transfers for the multi-deck flight carrier. They are an off white (kind of like the tone AS-20). I wound up painting it instead. You could use an xacto to cut them into smaller thinner strips. You are welcome to them if your interested

I tried doing it in 1/72. All those thin white lines are going to be tough. It might be worth looking though some old unused decal sheets and see if there are any white panels or strips you can cut down to size, otherwise some tedious masking.

For example, I have a whole sheet of runway waterslide transfers for the multi-deck flight carrier. They are an off white (kind of like the tone AS-20). I wound up painting it instead. You could use an xacto to cut them into smaller thinner strips. You are welcome to them if your interested

Thanks for the offer! I think I'm going with silver though... If you look at this picture (see below), I think silver lines are the way to go. Even around the 'feet'. They do look whitish, but I'm going to stick with silver.

4724457986_a14029f566_b.jpg

That being said, R2-Q2 does have white and not silver...lol

Oh wow... Those are some good reference shots. I'll definitely do white on the head now. It looks like the only silver ones are on the body around some of the panels.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back