2001: food tray

... So here's my finished prop.
This looks fantastic. Great work that you and SquidMan did!
SquidMan: I am especially impressed by the job you did on the graphics for the boxes. Would you mind describing with more technical details how you did this (tools, & methods)? Also, would you mind sharing the hi-res images?

Ahead of you Lt Washburn ;)
1568933563339.png

Yelahttam: I might do the Aries-1B tray, only if members are willing to wait 3 weeks for it and at a low production number. Also, since Squidman did the logos, it would be only fair to discuss with him what kind of "cut" he would take on the final price of such a prop...stay tuned.
The "Discovery" tray is a one-off for the moment: to find the right cup is very hard, as well as the 4 food compartments.

That is nice, thanks joberg! As many times as I have seen this movie, as well as when they brought it back in theaters, I never thought of the reality of Pan Am food in the 21st century - until now :) great work

Just watched that scene again in 2001, thats a great prop replica!

I still don't understand why Dr Floyd slept through the meal, Cheese fries and coffee would be great right about now

Yep, I think there's a combination of meals for every palate ;) I always wonder what kind of meal they had on the Discovery.
(y)Left to right on the tray: meat, potatoes, vegetable and desert last...maybe "Crème Brûlée"

Hey everyone! I was away from the forum for a bit after finishing the illustrations/logo/instructions for the tray, but had to share how great the finished replica turned out, courtesy of joberg:

IMG_1366.JPG

Here's a size comparison to another 2001: A Space Odyssey replica prop of mine; a light-up Zero Gravity Toilet instructions sign I made:

IMG_6273.JPG

This looks fantastic. Great work that you and SquidMan did!
SquidMan: I am especially impressed by the job you did on the graphics for the boxes. Would you mind describing with more technical details how you did this (tools, & methods)? Also, would you mind sharing the hi-res images?

Thanks Markus! I used a combination of 4K screenshots, Blu-ray screenshots, and production photographs of the props as reference, and I recreated each of the illustrations as closely as possible to the originals by essentially redrawing them on Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. Sorry, I won't be making the high-res versions available since joberg and I will be selling these trays. Please PM him if you're interested in purchasing one.

Here's a little curiosity I came across: Someone tweeted images from the recent Stanley Kubrick exhibition at the Design Museum in London of the concept sketches for this food tray prop, and a photo of a tray that wasn't seen on screen but must've been used in production. As you can see, most of the Liquipaks are the same as the ones in the tray we've replicated, but with the addition of what looks like ham and fried egg (?). Just an interesting alternate version of the more iconic prop.

Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 6.23.27 PM.png

Click here to see the full tweet.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back