Batman 89 Speargun *COMPLETE*

Realizing the Basinger Equation is predicated upon average female palm width of a 5'7" woman (not Kim's actual palm width) I decided to pursue a correlating measurement. I found this wonderful photo of a tape measure next to a screen-used glove. This allowed me to pull a measurement of the ribbed glove detail. Surprisingly, this resulted in nearly the same overall length dimensions.

GloveEquation.png

I spent this week building the Speargun in Fusion 360. My goal here is to NOT steal from any other replicas that exist – as difficult as that is with the beautiful SD Studio replica staring me in the face) ... Instead, I am attempting to pull dimensions and shape from the various production speargun photos that I've found. I say "various" because, as others have mentioned, it's clear there were several spearguns used for various aspects of production. The "holding at his shoulder" photo, the various "belt scenes", the "making of videos and photos" ... all have subtle differences in details. I'm choosing to base mine on a mix of these.

I still have some detailing work to do, but I'm closing in on the large geometry here.
Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 11.55.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 11.46.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 11.45.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 11.45.23 AM.png

I've always wanted to make an accurate version of this. Thank you (and everyone else) for sharing your pictures and research... I [expletive] love this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay to test the files I printed off the parts for the speargun on my Prusa i3. I'm really happy how things turned out. The gun splits in two, like the real thing (with a detent pin that snaps it back into place). The handle flips (of course) and the trigger has a tiny spring to allow action, and the reel spins. Again, this is just a test of the parts. I'm working on this as a commission and I plan on a much better printing process for the end product. BUT, the size of this feels right to me. Very satisfying to hold. Passes the Basinger Equation :) Onward.

IMG_1736.jpeg

IMG_1737.jpeg

IMG_1738.jpeg

IMG_1739.jpeg

IMG_1741.jpeg

Okay to test the files I printed off the parts for the speargun on my Prusa i3. I'm really happy how things turned out. The gun splits in two, like the real thing (with a detent pin that snaps it back into place). The handle flips (of course) and the trigger has a tiny spring to allow action, and the reel spins. Again, this is just a test of the parts. I'm working on this as a commission and I plan on a much better printing process for the end product. BUT, the size of this feels right to me. Very satisfying to hold. Passes the Basinger Equation :) Onward.

View attachment 1080329
View attachment 1080330
View attachment 1080331
View attachment 1080332
View attachment 1080333
That looks fantastic. Any chance you would put up the .stl files for sale?

I'm also humbly aware there are several version of this gun that were made. I'm no expert, but I believe that includes a Pre-Production version (shown in the pre-production images of Jack and Michael), a Line Firing version (With the big box to the back), a Hero Version, A Retracting Reel version (seen in the behind the scenes video with the prop master) and of course, stunts. And all of these seem to have small geometry differences, which makes creating an exact replica challenging. And I'm not attempting that. But I do want to have a credibly accurate replica based on a mix of the Pre-pro and Hero as I can get.

That said, one of the geometries that most interesting to me is theoretical alignment of the barrels and lower receiver when viewed from the front. I thin I'm close here. I don't believe they line up vertically – which creates this lovely organic looking front face to the speargun. But there's little reference that shows a view like this. Wish I had some confirmation that I'm close.
Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 3.01.40 PM.png

Last edited:
I never understood how the long dart would actually fit into the gun with the barrel being to the side. I can only assume the long dart was just for display purposes. When Keaton hangs the dude from the rafters at Axis Chemicals it's a short dart on the end of the line. So, it's completely up in the air.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back