Batman 89 Speargun *COMPLETE*

I never understood how the long dart would actually fit into the gun with the barrel being to the side. I can only assume the long dart was just for display purposes. When Keaton hangs the dude from the rafters at Axis Chemicals it's a short dart on the end of the line. So, it's completely up in the air.
Movie Magic *wink*

I bet they never even imagined how much we would analyze these props. The speargun that fires the grapple in the Vickie Vale rescue is very different than the other ones. Am I the only one who noticed he was aiming at a gantry over his head, but fires almost parallel to the ground? I assumed that was for safety but it looks so stupid.

So , I'm still at this. Because now it's fun. I acquired two pieces of evidence with dimensions that I trust. One is confirmation (with photo) of a cast that definitely came out of a Studio mold. Second, an image of a loose Spear that went up for auction with an overall dimension listed.

Problem. Both of these come with slightly different overall measurements. *plot thickens*

Dimensions3-03.png
_Dimension4s-04.png

Could the version on the belt have actually been intentionally made a little smaller to make it fit the belt better? I read about the swords from Robin Hood Prince Of Thieves and they said they made the famous swords in multiple sizes for specific scenes. They gave the example that when the Sheriff used it the prop was bigger so it would seem more unwieldy. Just a thought. I read something similar about Captain America's shield.

Thank you so much for sharing all this detailed research!!!

Of course! Sharing is caring! At the same time (with the help of some friends) I have have been chipping at the last details to get the speargun where I want it. My goal has always been to create an "accurate" replica of the screen-used guns. Recognizing that there were several guns. I wanted a replica that captured the screen-accurate appearance to MY satisfaction. I'm not saying it's perfect, the most accurate, or better than any other replica out there.

That said, after all this nonsense, I think I'm locking down on an 8" length to my gun. For reason that matter to me. Partly because I believe it is damn close to at least SOME of the guns used. And also because, in my hand, it just FEEEEEELS GOOD!

My plan from here is to build 2 guns using 3D hubs services. Parts either in Formlabs resin, or black SLS. Still exploring options. The dart will be all metal, made from a combination of cut and 3D printed brass.

Stay tuned.

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 4.26.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 4.26.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 4.25.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 4.25.32 PM.png
IMG_2905.jpeg
IMG_2904 2.jpeg

I wasn't criticizing your accuracy, just pointing out that the belt measurement not matching doesn't mean your other research is inaccurate. Your research is undoubtedly excellent.

Are the spear guns the same shape in Returns as in '89?

They are the same "design". Not sure if it's the same props that were reused.

Here's a fun example of how inconsistent the guns were in Batman 89. These three scenes are all from the same scene - the grapple ride up to the catwalk. Let's notice the differences in just 25 seconds of film:

• Pic 1: This Speargun rotates around the belt: 6 screws on the Reel Plate. NO semicircular cut out around the center of the Reel Plate. Large diameter reel.

• Pic 2: After he shoots the grapple, this Reel Section is reattached to the belt: Now there's a semicircular cut out at the center of the Reel Plate, but there's only 5 screws. And the reel diameter got smaller. The paint job sucks. Other details have changed as well.

• Pic 3: Vicki is about to grab the reel. Bad to 5 screws and a better paint job.

I get it, these are three different props used for very specific effects. And there were certainly others. This though, is why trying to make a "definitive" speargun (like a lot of other props) is an exercise in making choices.

reels.jpg

Last edited:
I do think there's a 6th screw on the middle pic. It's obscured by the light, but you can see the round screw head and the direction of the slot in it.

In my continued fascination with the guns used in the film, I've attempted to classify each of the various ones seen in the film and in production materials, as well as the couple that seen to have survived.

SpeargunList.jpg

Attachments

• SpeargunList.pdf
    866.7 KB · Views: 180
Okay, after a round of last minute accuratizing based on access to some exclusive pics, I think I'm happy with where this has landed. I'm prepping files for printing. I ran into a bit of a snag with one online vendor. 3dhubs refused to print this because it is clearly a firearm *eyeroll*

My plan is:
  • Most speargun parts will be printed in dyed black HP MultiJet Fusion material. Which is a sintered black Nylon. This is a highly detailed process that results in a slightly textured black finish
  • The Dart rod is stainless steel
  • The gun will have a brass tube the dart slides into so it is solid
  • All metal screws and hardware
  • The Dart tip is 3D Printed brass (also laser sintered)
  • The Dart will have brass fins laser cut from real brass
  • The Side panel will be cut from aluminum sheet painted black
Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 7.45.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 7.46.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 7.45.41 PM.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back