Bigturc's Tie Bomber thread

Hey Hammer,
Ron, I bit the bullet last night and removed and replaced the top Leo straight which is making a big difference now .. I'm a happy camper! I might do the bottom part later but it doesn't bug me as much as the top which was quite visible to the eye!

I actually have the feeling that the real one was crooked too looking at the straight front view picture of the SS .. but it might be me and glue fumes!!!

And what notches are you talking about?

Cockpit corrected, just more show off pics .. really!

large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg

I'm still undecided whether or not I'm gonna trim down my extensions to 8mm so I wait on Joe's test while I'm doing the rest of the side greeblies on the horizontal bar!

;)

The vertical Leo parts between the tubes and the wing.

Hey Hammer,
Ron, I bit the bullet last night and removed and replaced the top Leo straight which is making a big difference now .. I'm a happy camper! I might do the bottom part later but it doesn't bug me as much as the top which was quite visible to the eye!

I actually have the feeling that the real one was crooked too looking at the straight front view picture of the SS .. but it might be me and glue fumes!!!

And what notches are you talking about?

Ahh .. I see .. check post 318 .. 3rd picture .. you'll see why.
I thought it looked better to fit in the wing rings. I dunno! :D

Dude, it is looking really nice! Hey I haven't gotten a chance to to a test with parts on the extensions. I don't have a Rodney except for the built one I have. So, I don't have the barrels but I do have the antenna. I found some .032" rod so I will tack it and the Rodney antenna on for size. I'll post pics tomorrow morning'ish.

Again, you're build is looking fantastic!

Ok, morning'ish turned in night'ish....my bad!

Here is my test with .75mm (appx .032") rod. The new extension in the pic is 13mm all around. However, you are looking at the 8mm peaking over the edge of the wings. I also stuck the unmodified B10 part from the Rodney. I modified it in Photoshop to check the measurements. The .75mm rod looks good to my eye. However, the "modified" B10 looks to be about .5-1mm too far from the edge.

The way I figure it right now is that the modified Rodney gun barrel (not pictured) is roughly 3mm. Can someone measure this for me....maybe a measurement of the base (the axe looking side). All the barrels in my kit are glued onto the gun house. I really need to just break down and buy the damn kit already!

I'm kicking myself in the ass because I should have listened to you, Al, when you identified the proper measurements of the extensions earlier in your thread!

I think this is really close. With the AMT TIE wings not being completely straight, I think we can take comfort in knowing that things won't look perfectly straight even of we take every measure to makes things so. Unless you sand the wing edges. But since I doubt ILM did that, I won't either.

What do you think?

Oh yeah...go Rangers!

IMG718b.jpg

IMG718.jpg

Joe

Thanks vinylcapjawa!

Joe, 0.75mm is 0.030" rods while 0.032" is 0.8mm .. so I'm curious, which one did you use, the 0.025"(0.6mm), 0.030"(0.75mm) or 0.035"(0.9mm)?

I was looking at my pic, and something seemed ackward and wrong for my tubes. I realised that I didn't align them properly when I glued the pilot tube to the bar. And since the 4 greeblies on the bar were installed after, I took a deep breath, pulled them off, and twisted the tube until the glue broke and I could replace it. Lil sanding here and there and installed back the greeblies!!

Much better now!!! Advice to others, make sure to align the tubes properly before fixing them permanently. Lucky for me, I didn't go to heavy on ca glue!!! Yikes!

The wings will be next. I'll probably strip some material like we discussed, it makes them look much less bulky!

Last edited:
That's a lot of big breaths there, buddy, take it easy, ok? :)

I must have done my math wrong. But I used .032". It looks about right. Course, I still need to measure those Rodney guns. I know I've been saying that I need to buy it for a while.

Joe

LOL .. Joe .. edited! ;)

As soon as I have more time to spend on the Bomber, I'll take pictures of that part for you!

As a side note, what's left for me is redo the Bomb arm and install it, pu tthe rods and greeblies on the wing extensions after trimming them and install the Flak 38 greeblies on the tube!!

No need to measure the Rodney barrel, Al. I finally recieved my 3 other Rodneys with unbuilt guns. I still need to get some more measurements to fully confirm, at least with myself, that the Rodney B10 was infact used. If I conclude that they weren't, oh well, I'll sell the extra Rodney's or use them as scratch-build fodder.

What does everybody else think about the B10? A few people have kinda nodded in favor of it but I'd still like to hear more thoughts, especially from the veteran Bomber builders.

Joe

Nope, I only just got the kit a couple of weeks ago. All the Waterline ships have very similar parts, but if you want to be precise you will need three Rodneys!

I was like, "No, you need 4", but the first pic I open, I see the starboard wing bottom missing the bit. Doh! I bought an extra Rod! Lol!

Joe

Finally had some time to spend on my build!

I bit the bullet, cut my extensions to 8mm instead of 11mm (from wing edge) and it makes a huge difference!!! Now the tricky part will be to rescribe them since they're already glued but it'll come!

Here's some before and after pics with the other wing not yet done.

medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back