Unlimited Run Bookhouse Boys (Twin Peaks) embroidered patch

Patattack

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
As a big fan of Twin Peaks, I've long wanted to get myself a Bookhouse Boys patch like one one Harry gives Cooper. It's a classic design, and subtle enough that the average person wouldn't see it as a pop-culture thing--the perfect David Lynch shibboleth!

FinderScreenSnapz086.jpg

Unfortunately, every reproduction that I've seen--from random makers on Etsy, all the way up to the official licensed version from Showtime--has failed to nail the design. Maybe the tree's outline isn't quite right, or the trunk is red instead of brown, or the border is missing the black circles...etc. So, I wanted to try and do the dang thing perfectly for once!

Luckily, these patches were gifted to the TV production crew, and one former crew member has shared an excellent straight-on shot of their patch, which I've used to make a nice crisp lineart that I feel captures an idealized version of the design while still retaining some of the handmade asymmetry of the original.

FinderScreenSnapz001.jpgPatchDesignRoundedAsymmetrical_color_thick.png

Here's the final product:

En5gBNi.jpg

And here are the important details:

• 2.4" diameter - I couldn't find an exact measurement of the original prop, but this is as close as I could estimate based on reference pics
  • Fully embroidered, including the blue background - accurate to original
  • Embroidery on tree branches and trunk is broken into "chunks" to give more depth/texture to the design - accurate to original
  • No iron-on backing - accurate to original, and prevents the patches from being too thick/stiff
  • Embroidered border, rather than a traditional merrowed edge - accurate to original

Update Sept. 2020: I ran out of patches this past spring, but after receiving a handful of requests on the Google Form, I've ordered a new batch of patches (exact same design and specs as the first batch). Therefore, orders are once again open for any quantity you want! I've slightly increased the price to compensate for slightly higher production costs: each patch is $6, continental U.S. shipping is $1, and international shipping is $3. If you'd like to buy some patches, please PM me, or fill out the following Google Form to reserve your order. Patches are in hand and ready to ship as soon as payment is received!

Bookhouse Boys patch order (Replica Prop Forum)

Last edited:
Interested. My wife is a huge fan (although the new series was disappointing). Always on the lookout for birthday and Christmas gifts.

Hope this run is a go!

Mike

Interested. My wife is a huge fan (although the new series was disappointing). Always on the lookout for birthday and Christmas gifts.

Hope this run is a go!

Mike

I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed in the new series! I thought it was amazing....but I totally understand, since it was so different in tone from the original series.

Interested!

Also, considering that the segment of the thumb with the nail (as seen in the screenshot) for average man is no smaller than 1 inch (using my own hands as reference), the patch looks to me like it must be 2.5 inch or at the very least 2.25, but not only 2 inches.

I could be wrong, though!

Last edited:
Here's a quick screenshot of what I've got mocked up for the design right now:
PatchDesignRoundedAsymmetricalColored2.jpg

...And to give a better idea of the accuracy of the line work, here's a nice GIF of me showing/hiding the outline layer compared to the reference photo. In an attempt to maintain the handmade look of the original, I've tried to avoid perfectly straight lines (aside from the blade) and keep things ever-so-slightly asymmetrical (aside from the border circles):
patchcompare.gif.gif
Do we feel good about this? I'm still trying to figure out the colors (an alternate color scheme is also attached to this post), but I might ask for the patch producer's opinions on that--see what options I have.

Attachments

• PatchDesignRoundedAsymmetricalColored.jpg
    PatchDesignRoundedAsymmetricalColored.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 352
Well I'm in talks with the patch maker now--soon I should get an electronic mockup, then they'll make a physical sample for me to approve before proceeding with production. I think I'm gonna get 100, and roughly 50 are already spoken for, so there's plenty available!

The colors of the first mockup photo you posted look spot on. However David lynch used filters to create that amber effect for the original show, so who knows what the actual tint of everything was. In that case, the second mockup might be more accurate.
Outside of accuracy, I think the first mockup is more aesthetically pleasing.

The colors of the first mockup photo you posted look spot on. However David lynch used filters to create that amber effect for the original show, so who knows what the actual tint of everything was. In that case, the second mockup might be more accurate.
Outside of accuracy, I think the first mockup is more aesthetically pleasing.

As part of the mockup process, they'll select some close-as-they-can-find Pantone colors based on the art that I sent them (mockup 1, which is my personal preference for colors). At that point, we can decide exactly what the final embroidered colors should be.

For what it's worth, I don't think that color grading necessarily had a huge impact on the patch, since the straight-on shot that I used as design/color reference is a photo taken by a crew member, not a screenshot from the show.

I'm currently working out the last few details with the designer--hoping to replicate the way the original patch has each branch of the tree embroidered separately, going out from the center, giving a bit more dimension to the green area (as opposed to a solid field of flat green like the Showtime licensed patch). Aside from that, I'm pretty happy with the mockup so far:
2018-04-29_1614.png

Current plan is to order 100 patches, 2.4" diameter, no iron-on backing (both to keep accurate to the original, and to prevent the patches from being too thick/stiff), selling at $5 per patch.

I've already got a bunch of non-RPF friends interested in buying some, so in the interest of keeping all of the orders in one place, would y'all mind filling out the following survey? No need to pay anything yet, I just wanna have numbers and names accounted for.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...w8D12Hd4xXfjfFnjbLCrv_3w/viewform?usp=sf_link

Patattack, looks good! One thing I would suggest for screen accuracy is to slightly separate the outline and the color fill of the tree branches on the left side of the patch. On both the screen-used patch and the one owned by a crew member in your original post, there is a sliver of the blue background peeking in between the black outline and green color.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Patattack, looks good! One thing I would suggest for screen accuracy is to slightly separate the outline and the color fill of the tree branches on the left side of the patch. On both the screen-used patch and the one owned by a crew member in your original post, there is a sliver of the blue background peeking in between the black outline and green color.

Hmm...I see that as more of a production error than an intentional artistic choice. In retrospect I was aiming for an idealized version that had the design filled in the way it was presumably intended to be. Especially since most of the other fans that I've gotten on board aren't necessarily looking for "RPF standards" of accuracy, you know? :p

Does anyone else want an uber-accurate warts-and-all design as suggested, with the green embroidery not quite reaching the black outline of the tree? I could conceivably do a second run, but the price-per-unit would be higher (maybe $10-15 per patch?), since I wouldn't have as many folks signed up for it.

Hmm...I see that as more of a production error than an intentional artistic choice. In retrospect I was aiming for an idealized version that had the design filled in the way it was presumably intended to be. Especially since most of the other fans that I've gotten on board aren't necessarily looking for "RPF standards" of accuracy, you know? :p

Does anyone else want an uber-accurate warts-and-all design as suggested, with the green embroidery not quite reaching the black outline of the tree? I could conceivably do a second run, but the price-per-unit would be higher (maybe $10-15 per patch?), since I wouldn't have as many folks signed up for it.

By no means should you feel pressured to do it the way I suggested, it's totally up to you. An idealized patch would be cool too.

I don't really see the super accurate version as uglier though, the gap creates what looks like a nice shiny edge to the shape and gives it a bit more dimension. I also only pointed it out because it's present on both the screenshot and crew photo (which I assume are not the exact same patch), which would imply that it was a detail consistent across the patches produced for the show. But it's ultimately your call, and I'm sure it'll look great either way!

By no means should you feel pressured to do it the way I suggested, it's totally up to you. An idealized patch would be cool too.

I don't really see the super accurate version as uglier though, the gap creates what looks like a nice shiny edge to the shape and gives it a bit more dimension. I also only pointed it out because it's present on both the screenshot and crew photo (which I assume are not the exact same patch), which would imply that it was a detail consistent across the patches produced for the show. But it's ultimately your call, and I'm sure it'll look great either way!

I'm not opposed to it! I just want to focus on the idealized design as my own personal preference...if there are more folks interested in the super-accurate version with the gaps, I'd be happy to set up a second run--I just anticipate having fewer buyers, which equals higher per-unit cost

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back