COMPLETED -- Converting the FX toy X-Wing

I initially planned on shimming it, but I ended up removing the spring and the button/lever. At tat poing the two sets wings of wings are very loose, and just flop open and closed on the metal cotter pin (not really a "cotter" but a pin nonetheless).

I then just superglued the wings to the fuselae (after final assembly) at the points where they made contact with the fuse...

Make any sense or do I need another beer?

I initially planned on shimming it, but I ended up removing the spring and the button/lever. At tat poing the two sets wings of wings are very loose, and just flop open and closed on the metal cotter pin (not really a "cotter" but a pin nonetheless).

I then just superglued the wings to the fuselae (after final assembly) at the points where they made contact with the fuse...

Make any sense or do I need another beer?

I think I understand....
you removed the mechanism, but kept the pin inside the two main sections that formed the wings, then just glued the flat wing surfaces directly to the fuselage?

sound about right, or do I need a beer?

You got it! And we both need to grab a beer!

n the pic you can see where I axed off the large buttun that - IIRC - contained the spring.

And yeah, I just (rather crudely) jabbed the glue tip for my CA glue (can't recall if it was Gap-Filling thickness or Water Thin) into the wing recess right at the point where the wing root exits the main fuse, and globbed on a bit of glue (nicely hidden in there so sloppiness wasn't a big deal) at all contact points.

91007030001.jpg

Re: FX toy X-Wing Great paitn job!

You are so rite about the importance of the paint job.

That bird looks excellent!
I hope there are details in this thread about the paints, paint colors, palette & technique that you used.

Keep up the good work!

You are so rite about the importance of the paint job.

That bird looks excellent!
I hope there are details in this thread about the paints, paint colors, palette & technique that you used.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks and thanks for the book-end sentiment about the paint job. If the colors aren't in here yet, I do have them written down on paper in my notebok.

Kurt! ALWAYS good to hear from ya! :thumbsup

Thanks and thanks for the book-end sentiment about the paint job. If the colors aren't in here yet, I do have them written down on paper in my notebok.

Kurt! ALWAYS good to hear from ya! :thumbsup

Hey Rob... did you ever take photos of this beautiful piece finished? I would be quite honored to be able to show it to those who don't get to the boards often. :D

Way to big of a project... I apologize but just don't have time. I still have them on my hard drive of course, but they're mixed in with all the other shots I took along the way.

Weird... Six or seven years later, I just said virtually the same thing to another board member. Guess I'm still real busy!

I decided to post batches. I have the various parts of the build separated into separate photo folders. Up to YOU to associate these pics with my ten-year-old posts!

Beginning with the cannons...

090107002.JPG

090407004.JPG

Guns001.JPG

IMGP0001.JPG

826070009.jpg

826070007.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

More...

View attachment 583623

View attachment 583624

View attachment 583625

View attachment 583626

View attachment 583627

View attachment 583628

- - - Updated - - -

More...

View attachment 583633

View attachment 583628

View attachment 583629

View attachment 583631

View attachment 583632

View attachment 583630

Looks like we got the first six pics, then we get attachments that when clicked on, don't show anything. So happy you are posting these too, thanks so much.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back