Delete thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: IRON MAN Mark 4/6 Pepakura FOAM Templates

I'd never done anything like this before Daniel, I started my build mid August, and have just reached the PVA stage, I would say to get to this stage has taken me around 100 - 120 hours, that's printing the files, cutting them out, transferring to foam, cutting them out again and then obviously gluing.
I used JFs quick build templates and used 8mm Yellowstone Foam Camping/Yoga mats from amazon.co.uk.
I've been doing my build at work in my down time (self employed) if you can devote enough time to it every day you could easily have the suit finished within a month or less.

People like JF have built a full suit in less than a week!

Make sure you research your scaling before building, watch the videos read this thread etc.

If you decide to do one, and haven't done it before start with something simple, I started with the chest piece as I read that, that was one of the easier parts, it came out pretty bad but it taught me a lot and with each piece I built I got better and better, I then went back and rebuilt the chest plate. You'll read it on here time and time again DO NOT start with the helmet, I found that and the legs were the most difficult parts.

Hey kirk thanks for getting back to me. I knew it should have been something I embarked on while I had time off during the summer, as I'll have project work starting next week as well as ten million other things to do.

Those camping mats were the ones I had my eye on also. I may have to see about shelving the project until next year. Or recruiting my housemates into helping my cause.

I will definitely take the not the helmet first comments onboard as remaking parts would be time I could not afford to spare.

I was possibly hoping I could find red and yellow foams so I could have the suit in colour for a uni event mid october without paint or anything. and then get it painted up for halloween. But its hard to get specific colours in a thickness above 2mm without getting them from a supplier for silly prices.

If only there were more hours in the day.

what glue does everyone use to harden your suits? I've used elmers white glue and elmers wood glue and find that they crack horribly. Also, what brand spray paint works best to not crack on these suits? I did a neck piece for my son and just did a stress test on it and the paint cracked.

I used Tacky Glue along with Krylon Cherry Red and Rust-oleum Gold Metallic. Here is what I have painted so far.
Iron Man Pic.jpg

Thanks to all the people who made this thread! :) I read every post from this thread! And I learned a lot. I will be starting soon on my own build.. :)
Take time to read the posts here so that you won't have to repeat their mistakes. Thanks to STEALTH, Robo, JFcustoms, Sharkbeetle and for the others that i forgot to mention!

God bless you all! :)

Pretty much finished my build today, got some weathering to add, lights to the hands and the gold parts on the abs (going to do that with a fine brush) and an undersuit to purchase and then I'm all finished.
Ironman suit.jpg
I know the red isn't an accurate red but for my first build and what it is I wasn't overly worried about screen accurate colours.

Hello, im rather new here. Anyways i was thinking about trying the foam route, as opposed to using the paper templates on cardboard as i have done, and i was wondering about how many tiles it would take for the build? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question or whatever, and i really appreacate any of your time. thanks

I was wondering if anyone knows weather there is an extra large template for the mark 4 helmet. I have a bigger head than most people but I'm looking at doing it in foam. Any help appreciated. Also where is the best place to get Eva foam? I found a place but its not Eva foam although its supposed to be a stiff foam than most. 1/2 Inch Foam Padding (sold by Continuous yard ) any advice on this?

I am new to all this too and found out that you have to download the viewer first then once you do that download any file you want and open it. It automatically put it into the pepakura viewer.

What is the default size of the boot? I wear a size 9 and want to get the scale right. thanks for anyone's answers.

Hello, im rather new here. Anyways i was thinking about trying the foam route, as opposed to using the paper templates on cardboard as i have done, and i was wondering about how many tiles it would take for the build? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question or whatever, and i really appreacate any of your time. thanks

I did not use the tiles but I hopefully can help you a little with my answer.
I am 6'3 and weigh around 15 stone (210 lbs) 36" waist. I used Yoga/Camping mats, the mats measured 180cm long by 50cm wide and were 8mm thick, I used around 7 of these mats to build my full suit.

I was wondering if anyone knows weather there is an extra large template for the mark 4 helmet. I have a bigger head than most people but I'm looking at doing it in foam. Any help appreciated. Also where is the best place to get Eva foam? I found a place but its not Eva foam although its supposed to be a stiff foam than most. 1/2 Inch Foam Padding (sold by Continuous yard ) any advice on this?

If you have the pepakura designer programme you can adjust the size/scale of any of the templates to any size you require, I'd recommend reading up on scaling etc and then purchasing the programme.

What is the default size of the boot? I wear a size 9 and want to get the scale right. thanks for anyone's answers.

I can't answer 100% but to give you an idea I take a UK size 11, I scaled my boots to a scale of 28 (I used JFs mark 4 templates) and they fit over my the top of my actual boots perfectly.

I did not use the tiles but I hopefully can help you a little with my answer.
I am 6'3 and weigh around 15 stone (210 lbs) 36" waist. I used Yoga/Camping mats, the mats measured 180cm long by 50cm wide and were 8mm thick, I used around 7 of these mats to build my full suit.

So basically a 1.6x6 foot mat and about .3 in thick by imperial, a total of roughly 68 square feet by imperial, or 17 tiles. I am also only about 5'8" and 170 lbs, so it should work out. Thanks much, this helps greatly when figuring how many to buy. I recently found http://www.walmart.com/ip/TG-EVA-Foam-Exercise-Mat/23518559 , which seems like a great price for tiles, and was needing to know how many to get. hopefully this also helps someone looking for tiles.

Again many thanks and much appreciation for your time.

I new to the site, im 5'11'' 195lbs waist 34. I started with the abs at default scale and they are too small. Did anyone else find the abs to be small? Since default scale is 6', I thought I would be safe. Would it be safe to assume the rest of the pieces at default scale will fit or do I have to scale up any other parts? Can anyone with similiar build respond. I have no issues scaling up, I just don't want to waste time and find something else runs small. Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

Abs and cod completed. Stayed up late to get these done.

View attachment 235558

parkplace06, do you mind if I ask your height, weight and waist and what scale you used?

I am 5' 9.5" 173 lbs and a 33 inch waist. Though in that pic from last week I was probably closer to 180 and a 34 inch waist.

I too found that the abs were too small but everything else was perfectly sized for me so you'll be good.

I had to modify the abs by increasing the back piece and adding about 3 inches of height.

I wear a size 9 shoe so I removed 2 inches (size of 390 for depth) and it fits nicely over my boots.

If your interested I created a thread that continues my build which is almost done. Minus paint that is.
http://www.therpf.com/f24/my-ironman-mk-vi-build-some-custom-stuff-i-did-fun-195937/

Last edited:

I am 5' 9.5" 173 lbs and a 33 inch waist. Though in that pic from last week I was probably closer to 180 and a 34 inch waist.

I too found that the abs were too small but everything else was perfectly sized for me so you'll be good.

I had to modify the abs by increasing the back piece and adding about 3 inches of height.

I wear a size 9 shoe so I removed 2 inches (size of 390 for depth) and it fits nicely over my boots.

If your interested I created a thread that continues my build which is almost done. Minus paint that is.
http://www.therpf.com/f24/my-ironman-mk-vi-build-some-custom-stuff-i-did-fun-195937/

I am size 10 so I will remove 1 inch when I build the boots. I will check out your thread, thanks for the tips and quick response.

I really excited to continue building my helmet and suit, I'm currently building a helmet and I have to say it's been fun but time consuming. Although I might make mistakes I should be able to figure it out when I build a second one. Either way I was gathering all the templates for the mark 6 but the only thing I can't find are the pieces that cover the over the wrist to the top of the hands. Any help finding them would be awesome. thanks

I just finished my forearms a few days ago and was about to start with the biceps, but i found myself with this
u3y7yhyb.jpg

How am i supposed to cut those pieces, if anyone can help

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Hi all,
I just wanna say thank you to Stealth, Robo, jowe, MrBibou, demolition, etc for all this brilliant work, you guys have converted me.
This is my first attempt at any costuming.
This is what I've done so far

Attachments

• 2013-10-06-245_1.jpg
    2013-10-06-245_1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 514
Last edited:

Hi all,
I just wanna say thank you to Stealth, Robo, jowe, MrBibou, demolition, etc for all this brilliant work, you guys have converted me.
This is my first attempt at any costuming.
This is what I've done so far

wow first try really!!! your are a natural bro keep up the good work

- - - Updated - - -

I just finished my forearms a few days ago and was about to start with the biceps, but i found myself with this
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/06/u3y7yhyb.jpg
How am i supposed to cut those pieces, if anyone can help

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

what I did with these is act as if the entry to the v is not there and when building cut v out and join both sides together to get the right shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back