Done / Completed Done!!!!!

Re: 1:1 BB8 static prop

My BB-8 body should be here tomorrow...the head has already arrived.

What are you guys using to attach the head to the body?

Hey fellas, I'm compiling a tutorial on how to attach the head/dome to the main body. Be watching for a link in the thread tonight. Gimp, I'll email it directly to you.

Reel

Ok guys and gals, here are the 4 that are getting Jakku weathering. Rocketeer has applied the base matte coat and they're ready for weathering. He will send each of you WIP pics of your little guy until the desired look is agreed upon. He will be making these as screen accurate as he possibly can. I love the matte finish. Looks beautiful just like that. The weathering is the cake icing [emoji6]

bc5ce782659a832e6d7e627bf1ca7e0d.jpg

Still got 1 kit left over [emoji4]

Reel

I started getting the inside of mine coated so that the body isn't translucent. I'm using white Plasti Dip and it's working really well. I'm going to try to get some of the Dip that's not in a rattle can (I need some for some RC projects anyway, so it'll come in handy for more things than one) so that I can roll it on. Rolling it on will end up putting down thicker coats, which will end up finishing the interior coating WAAAAY faster than by spraying light coat after light coat on the inside. It's also kind of hard to work inside it with the rattle can.

Right now there are a few spots where the Plasti Dip ended up laying thicker than others, so when a VERY bright light shines on it from the other side, you can see a very faint outline of those spots. This will be negated by the thicker coating of the Dip.

I chose Plasti Dip because I've worked with it a lot in the past, and I know from experience that if it ends up not giving you the finish that you desire, it's pretty easy to just peel it all off and start over...so if it didn't end up looking good, I could easily peel it off and go with another option.

I'm still waiting on that tutorial for mounting the head...I need to get that sorted out. I might...and I stress might...try to find some way to mount the head on a pole system of some type and then hook it up to a heavy duty servo which will allow the head to turn from side to side...but that will probably be decided on later.

Finished_zpsjj7xvrq5.png

Here it is after the first few thin coats of the Plasti Dip. Sorry for the double post, it wouldn't let me edit my first one for some reason..

Yeah man that's the look. I'll get you the matte finish that Rocketeer used so you can seal the outside. Still working on the head mounting system.

Reel

Yeah I'm really happy with how it's turning out. In fact, if I wasn't so obsessed with very minor details, I probably wouldn't worry too much about adding more of the Plasti Dip to the inside...because really, the amount of light required for any of the imperfections in the finish I've done is so high that it will virtually never happen...like, I have about 6,000 lumens on the main light fixture in my hobby room because I need to be able to see some pretty small areas in some of my RC and robot stuff...and when I hold the body up to THOSE lights, I can BARELY see the imperfections. If I move it away from them about two or three feet, they become completely invisible. So adding more is really just about my own OCD about stuff like this. :lol

The matte finish for the outside should be pretty easy to get done as well. I've done matte finish on a relatively large RC boat that came out REALLY well, so I'm assuming this will be the same. The only thing I'm trying to figure out with that is how exactly I'm going to get it in a good position to be able to evenly spray it without having to worry about not getting a nice even coat. I'm thinking right now that I may stuff the inside of it with old blankets, then effectively "mount" it to a pole and have it up off the ground that way so that I can easily spray the entire outside. Not sure, though.

1:1 BB8 static prop

He's almost there. Just needs the antennas, main eye dome and holoprojector. Rocketeer did a fine job weathering this little dude. Beautiful work

8b39520535f7c6b9bee8f282ceb11fab.jpg

931e7e7d0fe7a84d437935b89e153a4b.jpg

He'll be going to his new home soon

Reel

Still 1 kit left [emoji6]

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back