Echo Station 57, we're on our way....slowly

Heres some more pics of the test castings!

390154979.jpg

390154941.jpg

390154939.jpg

390154938.jpg

390154936.jpg

390154935.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Steve

Re: Echo Station 57, we're on our way....slowly

Heh, sure is nice to see someone else slaving over these parts....way to go Steve :)

Oh so sick! Gort thanks for making this. Steve thanks for saving it & producing it. It looks just wicked :thumbsup

1st 5 are getting boxed up for shipping... 1st 5 pm's sent with payment instructions.

Guys look at the 13th of August for shipping of the next 5! Will be sending payment instructions on the 11th of August when Mike confirms the next 5 are ready.

Apophis X1
Satazius X1
Prefect42 X1
Spankuh X1
Jock Deboer X1 (Paid)

Steve

Hey Guys, just wanted to chime in with a few things about the test build and a few more pics now that shipping has begun.

One of the most important things to note about the castings is that in I separated a couple parts in the interest of getting them easier to cast, or in some cases configured in a way that the casting would be better. The 2 major places this happened was on the forward gun mounts to body mounts and also on the air brake boxes to rear gun mount parts. When i separated the parts for casting, rather than clean up the glue marks at the separation point I left it as is for ease of proper registration when they are glued back together for assembly of the kit. I was afraid that if i cleaned up the parts I may lose the registration location, and the positioning of these parts is really important. I mention this because it looks a little sloppy on the casting, so i had mixed feelings about it, but when i put the kit together the parts really almost just "click" back together. I just held them together and put a drop of thin superglue in non visible spot and the parts were easily recombined.

Again, I mention the above because I had to make a choice between what i thought looked good and what i thought would make assembly easier, and i chose to go with ease of assembly. So any of the separation marks you see not only act as alignment markers, they also get completely covered up in assembly.

I will be posting a bit more as i have time over the next day or so, but i will say that it is important to store the main body parts appropriately until you are able to get some of the main structures together, the main body castings are thin enough that until you start adding the support structures like the airbrake boxes/gun mounts etc the outer edges of the upper and lower bodies will be prone to warping if not stored correctly.

Once the support structures are in place and the top and bottom are combined none of that should be an issue, in fact i intentionally warped the top body on the one you see here by leaning it up against the wall on a 100 degree day and once i started adding structures it all pulled back into place, in fact I did not even need to heat it back up, once you start gluing parts in place there is a lamination effect that straightens things up, and strengthens the whole thing.

Some more pics of my test shot which is still a WIP, i will post some more assembly tips in the next few days.
thanks
mike

Mike the speeder looking GREAT.Nice job on the build.Damn I can't wait to get this one.

Dave

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back