EFX Grogu animatronic

The eyes should not be that open in the resting state. Perhaps they could be made to open that much to make a specific expression - for only a second - but that should not be part of a looping animation.

IMHO, he is also moving too much. The movements should reflect the character's personality as seen in the show.
Looping/random animation programs are for when the operator is not there to operate the character. It often bugs me when R2-D2 operators set their droids to too expressive programs on loop. More expressive movements and sounds should be performed only by the operator manually when actually interacting with people. Otherwise he'll come off as a crazy person.

Last edited:
efx expectation reality.jpg

Knowing he's going to be "made" by EFX, is understandable...
It's funny because Garner does incredible work. My boss worked on the Abe Lincon animatronic bust and that thing is insanely well made. It's surprising that Garner would mess up the cheeks and eyelids this much, but I'm hoping they're going to fix it since this must be a prototype. Otherwise, the actuation feels smooth and the skin looks great!

I wonder how the rubber will weather over time. That's always the issue with these types of pieces.
Well it's most likely platinum silicone skins, so I imagine quite a while if it's well cared for

One one hand, it’s very impressive and life-like. On the other hand, it’s more animated than Grogu ever was in any episode and that throws the realism off completely.

I agree about the eyes, the actual eyeballs look too big. Make the eyeballs smaller and close the eyelids a little and then it’s a home run.

That will be very expensive. It sounds like pretty much a custom order.

I don't recall ever seeing that much white around Grogu's eyes. He looks like he is really stressed out with the wide eyes, nervous movement, and how his mouth looks unhappy.

Well like mentioned here its a prototype. EFX Always takes a super long time in R&D and lets not forget crazy delays as well. There is alot of hope if they nail this Grogu Animatronic down and do it justice. I am leaning toward this prototype being rushed in order to make to SDCC debut.

Agreed with everyone the eyes...LOL. Well i am sure they will correct it before producing a final product for customers. Saw the Youtube video guy says every Grogu ordered will be custom to what a buyer wants. Obviously the price point will interesting to see as well. However, UPSIDE you get your very own Grogu! Whatever option are available as you narrow down what you a happy camper. I am interested in it and the pram comes with every order of course you are paying for that bad boy. Anyways looking forward to seeing more details and videos on it. Hopefully someone at SDCC does an interview with the EFX rep onsite get more insight.

Worth noting here that the far less complex EFX Legend Scout Trooper helmet recently passed the 8 year anniversary of when orders went up, in which they took up to $900 from hundreds of customers.

No scout helmets received by those people to date, and as far as I know, no real timetable for release, and emails about existing orders continue to be ignored.

This item feels like the $16,000 Star Destroyer studio scale they revealed years ago but that no one ever saw in-hand photos of. Over on Rebelscum someone mentioned that their friend had ordered one in 2019 and had not received it two years later (as of a 2021 posting.)

So uh, buyer beware?

Last edited:
Worth noting here that the far less complex EFX Legend Scout Trooper helmet recently passed the 8 year anniversary of when orders went up, in which they took up to $900 from hundreds of customers.

No scout helmets received by those people to date, and as far as I know, no real timetable for release, and emails about existing orders continue to be ignored.

This item feels like the $16,000 Star Destroyer studio scale they revealed years ago but that no one ever saw in-hand photos of. Over on Rebelscum someone mentioned that their friend had ordered one in 2019 and had not received it two years later (as of a 2021 posting.)

So uh, buyer beware?
How has Lucasfilm not sued them, or anyone? This is essentially scamming.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back