Unlimited Run Floating Jedi Training Remote BUILDER'S KIT

Indy Magnoli Here you go.

1708551247611.png
1708551474945.png

1708551301410.png

I offered brushed aluminum dejarik decals for the old base. I don't know if they'll fit the newer shiny one but I imagine they do.
1708551441555.png

1708551656020.png

1708551698574.png

1708551752675.png

1708551783793.png

I decided to go with the Falcon panelling style (fully planning on going with the Falcon paint scheme) but, using black plastic card to skin it, seeing it in a dark color scheme, I decided to stick with that so as not to take away from the remote itself. So, after adding the panelling, I spray painted it matte black and then added some graphite powder. Very happy with the results:

tEgoSgp.jpg

I decided to go with the Falcon panelling style (fully planning on going with the Falcon paint scheme) but, using black plastic card to skin it, seeing it in a dark color scheme, I decided to stick with that so as not to take away from the remote itself. So, after adding the panelling, I spray painted it matte black and then added some graphite powder. Very happy with the results:

View attachment 1793618
Great call leaving it black/graphite to help contrast it against the remote.
Looks great! Can't wait to see more. Be sure to post your progress!

The other thing I did was pull the plastic ring at the top of the base through which the light shines through. I opened up the entire base unit for painting and discovered that I could put the plastic ring on the inside to give a flatter (more SW appearance, in my opinion) but keeping the light-up feature should I want to use it.

Maybe a silly question but how durable do folks find this to be once assembled? Both the whole kit with the assembled add-on parts attached, painted etc as well as the actual floating magnetic ball and base mechanism
I've purchased the floating globe and been cleaning that up before beginning assembly and I've noticed that the ball slams into the base HARD if your power blips or even if you just bump the table/bench a little too hard.
I'm now feeling really worried about the greeblies breaking or coming off after a couple of crashes. I think this is something that's going to have to go out of reach on a shelf, rather than being something cool to sit on my desk. Still very cool but I'd be gutted to put all that work in and have it tear itself apart. The other worry is putting all the effort into the build and paint, and then the magnetic functionality fails after a year or two. Suppose I can always just 3D print a static base for it at that point.
I'm loving the idea of this but just trying to prepare myself for the potential longevity of the prop.

Maybe a silly question but how durable do folks find this to be once assembled? Both the whole kit with the assembled add-on parts attached, painted etc as well as the actual floating magnetic ball and base mechanism
I've purchased the floating globe and been cleaning that up before beginning assembly and I've noticed that the ball slams into the base HARD if your power blips or even if you just bump the table/bench a little too hard.
I'm now feeling really worried about the greeblies breaking or coming off after a couple of crashes. I think this is something that's going to have to go out of reach on a shelf, rather than being something cool to sit on my desk. Still very cool but I'd be gutted to put all that work in and have it tear itself apart. The other worry is putting all the effort into the build and paint, and then the magnetic functionality fails after a year or two. Suppose I can always just 3D print a static base for it at that point.
I'm loving the idea of this but just trying to prepare myself for the potential longevity of the prop.
The parts are fragile just like any model kit, and you should definitely not put it next to other electronics, near metallic objects, or on an unsteady surface that will frequently get bumped. It is also highly recommended that you get a battery backup so you have several hours of extra time during an outage for the power to either come back on, or for you to remove the ball safely.

The fragility, however, doesn't just apply to this kit. The real prop has almost every single one of the posts on the small wheels broken off. So if you do have an accidental crash or break something, you could think of it as "free weathering" and is actually prop-accurate :). I do also make a replacement parts sets for just such an occasion, if you choose.

I have also seen people customize their bases with panels and greeblies to make it more "star warsy" and use a thin circular piece of craft foam on the top to act as a cushion in case of a fall.

I say all of this but my personal globe has lasted YEARS without a single issue. There is no friction and the parts do not get hot during normal operation so there's not really much that can break down over time. I know several people who have had theirs floating non-stop since the beginning (6 years now) and have no issues.

Last edited:
The parts are fragile just like any model kit, and you should definitely not put it next to other electronics, near metallic objects, or on an unsteady surface that will frequently get bumped. It is also highly recommended that you get a battery backup so you have several hours of extra time during an outage for the power to either come back on, or for you to remove the ball safely.

The fragility, however, doesn't just apply to this kit. The real prop has almost every single one of the posts on the small wheels broken off. So if you do have an accidental crash or break something, you could think of it as "free weathering" and is actually prop-accurate :). I do also make a replacement parts sets for just such an occasion, if you choose.

I have also seen people customize their bases with panels and greeblies to make it more "star warsy" and use a thin circular piece of craft foam on the top to act as a cushion in case of a fall.

I say all of this but my personal globe has lasted YEARS without a single issue. There is no friction and the parts do not get hot during normal operation so there's not really much that can break down over time. I know several people who have had theirs floating non-stop since the beginning (6 years now) and have no issues.
Thanks, thats awesome info. I especially like the idea of adding some foam to the base for extra padding.

Just got to the painting step of the tutorial... it's so satisfying seeing all the greeblies starting to come together!

krwLZ8o.jpg

I had two accidents occur during the build so far one happy, one not. The latter was one of the horseshoe greeblies lost an "arm" somewhere, so I had to scratch build a tiny little plastic prong to glue onto the globe. End result... no one will ever notice. The former accident... I went to spray paint the globe and the remaining greeblies... then went back to the tutorial and noticed that you left a few unpainted. Uh oh. So I went back to the parts that were drying and found that I left one set up on my shelf which I forgot to paint. Turned out it was the ones I was never supposed to paint! Happy accident. :)

Moving on now with this very fun build! I've decided to paint the red parts instead of using the stickers for more accuracy. Not sure if I'll paint as wonky as the original though... some of it was quite sloppy.

Just got to the painting step of the tutorial... it's so satisfying seeing all the greeblies starting to come together!

View attachment 1795911

I had two accidents occur during the build so far one happy, one not. The latter was one of the horseshoe greeblies lost an "arm" somewhere, so I had to scratch build a tiny little plastic prong to glue onto the globe. End result... no one will ever notice. The former accident... I went to spray paint the globe and the remaining greeblies... then went back to the tutorial and noticed that you left a few unpainted. Uh oh. So I went back to the parts that were drying and found that I left one set up on my shelf which I forgot to paint. Turned out it was the ones I was never supposed to paint! Happy accident. :)

Moving on now with this very fun build! I've decided to paint the red parts instead of using the stickers for more accuracy. Not sure if I'll paint as wonky as the original though... some of it was quite sloppy.
So glad you're enjoying it. It really is a fun little kit if I do say so myself. Deviously simple and the result is really cool looking. You're in the home stretch where all the character starts filling out. Can't wait to see more. You're nailing it so far!

FINISHED! (Though I may do another pass of additional weather at some point):

R0wvXb3.jpg

This kit was an immense pleasure to build. Thanks Trent for this fantastic product! Not only was the kit itself extremely high quality, but the tutorials were super easy to follow and made the process a piece of cake.

I just caved and bought one :lol:
I have all the original model kits and sphere to make a real replica however, I decided to just go kit.

I will be listing the real props parts and let someone else build it:p

Hey everyone. I just wanted to post again to make sure everyone is aware that these new kits don't include the floating globe. It's in the name of the kit (Buy Your Own Ball) as well as listed multiple times in the description, yet I've had to send refunds out to several people because they didn't receive what they were expecting, or got confused about the listing.
To be clear, the original kits were $329. I have reduced these by $130 down to $199 and you can get the floating globe on amazon for $50-70. This means you end up with exactly the same thing as my original kit for much cheaper. I'm doing this because the globes were taking up all the space in my house and shipping these in smaller packages also saves you in shipping.

If anyone has any ideas on how I can more clearly communicate that in my listing, I'm all ears. The very first words are "PLEASE READ BEFORE BUYING. THIS KIT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE BALL" yet I've had to cancel or refund at least 7 orders because they thought it included the ball.
The photos of finished kit are to illustrate what it will look like if you follow my tutorials and I specifically list out everything that is included in the kit.
Thank you!

Maybe put "BALL NOT INCLUDED" in the name as well. Maybe use the picture of the kit as the default picture instead of the finished example.

I don't understand how people don't read product descriptions.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back