Game of Thrones

Who's sitting at Dragon Stone? Gedry got Storms End.

Good question. I'm not sure who. Maybe it is just empty?

Likewise, who has the Twins (Walder Frey's castle) Were there any Frey's left?

edit: Maybe Dragonstone is where Drogon took Dany's body and where he settled down, hence why no one has inherited it or wants it

Good question. I'm not sure who. Maybe it is just empty?

Likewise, who has the Twins (Walder Frey's castle) Were there any Frey's left?

edit: Maybe Dragonstone is where Drogon took Dany's body and where he settled down, hence why no one has inherited it or wants it

Hmm Dragonstone might have gone to one those 2 other dudes at the lord mini counsel. Same with the twins since all the freys are dead.

Dany’s body was taken to the red priests home. She will be back from the dead to rain hellfire on everyone. Jk but they would be cool.

I think this article sums up my feelings about the last two seasons nicely...

Part of the problem was simply in what George R.R. Martin has given the showrunners. Per Martin’s own admission, Benioff and Weiss “know certain things. I’ve told them certain things. So they have some knowledge, but the devil is in the details. I can give them the broad strokes of what I intend to write, but the details aren’t there yet.” Simply put: Martin couldn’t help Game of Thrones stick the landing, because he himself wasn’t positive how he’d put the pieces together. For example, Martin’s original ending from his series proposal would have had Jon, Arya, and Tyrion in a love triangle, which isn’t in the show, and now seems unlikely to pop up in the remaining books. It’s proof that even Martin’s idea of the series has changed over time.

But the lack of new material and the rapidly shifting timescales left Benioff and Weiss in an impossible situation. They had to pick up one of the largest fantasy TV series of all time, at perhaps its widest possible expansion of story, with characters scattered across the world and plotlines left dangling. And they had to bring it in for a satisfying ending. It’s been done before — famously, author Brandon Sanderson brought Robert Jordan’s epic fantasy series The Wheel of Time to a conclusion after Jordan’s death. But Jordan had left copious notes and plans for his final novel, and even then, it took Sanderson (working closely with Jordan’s wife and editor, Harriet McDougal) three books to close out what Jordan had hoped would be a single novel.

And Game of Thrones is a very different beast. Instead of detailed notes, the writers only had Martin’s outline — a good start, but it obviously left large blanks to fill in. They had to come up with the mechanics and specifics of the story, a task so difficult that even the story’s creator has been stuck on it for the better part of a decade. And they didn’t just have to finish Martin’s tale, they had to make compelling television, the kind that could sustain the culture of hype and discussion that has exploded around the show.

There’s also the time factor. Martin wanted more seasons. According to an Entertainment Weekly interview, HBO was entirely willing to pay for more Game of Thrones, but Benioff and Weiss drew the line and wanted to wrap things up, presumably so they could move on to other projects, like their upcoming Star Wars trilogy and the controversial modern slavery series Confederate.

IN THE END, ‘GAME OF THRONES’ JUST DIDN’T HAVE ENOUGH TIME
Looked at through that lens, the inconsistency of the last few seasons — and season 8 in particular — makes a lot of sense. It’s practically a miracle that Benioff, Weiss, and the rest of the writers were able to give viewers anything resembling an ending at all, given their self-imposed time frame. Martin has been telling fans for years that good, rich drama takes time. And the show didn’t have enough of that time, given how it compressed the series’ conclusion.

I think this article sums up my feelings about the last two seasons nicely...

Part of the problem was simply in what George R.R. Martin has given the showrunners. Per Martin’s own admission, Benioff and Weiss “know certain things. I’ve told them certain things. So they have some knowledge, but the devil is in the details. I can give them the broad strokes of what I intend to write, but the details aren’t there yet.” Simply put: Martin couldn’t help Game of Thrones stick the landing, because he himself wasn’t positive how he’d put the pieces together. For example, Martin’s original ending from his series proposal would have had Jon, Arya, and Tyrion in a love triangle, which isn’t in the show, and now seems unlikely to pop up in the remaining books. It’s proof that even Martin’s idea of the series has changed over time.

But the lack of new material and the rapidly shifting timescales left Benioff and Weiss in an impossible situation. They had to pick up one of the largest fantasy TV series of all time, at perhaps its widest possible expansion of story, with characters scattered across the world and plotlines left dangling. And they had to bring it in for a satisfying ending. It’s been done before — famously, author Brandon Sanderson brought Robert Jordan’s epic fantasy series The Wheel of Time to a conclusion after Jordan’s death. But Jordan had left copious notes and plans for his final novel, and even then, it took Sanderson (working closely with Jordan’s wife and editor, Harriet McDougal) three books to close out what Jordan had hoped would be a single novel.

And Game of Thrones is a very different beast. Instead of detailed notes, the writers only had Martin’s outline — a good start, but it obviously left large blanks to fill in. They had to come up with the mechanics and specifics of the story, a task so difficult that even the story’s creator has been stuck on it for the better part of a decade. And they didn’t just have to finish Martin’s tale, they had to make compelling television, the kind that could sustain the culture of hype and discussion that has exploded around the show.

There’s also the time factor. Martin wanted more seasons. According to an Entertainment Weekly interview, HBO was entirely willing to pay for more Game of Thrones, but Benioff and Weiss drew the line and wanted to wrap things up, presumably so they could move on to other projects, like their upcoming Star Wars trilogy and the controversial modern slavery series Confederate.

IN THE END, ‘GAME OF THRONES’ JUST DIDN’T HAVE ENOUGH TIME
Looked at through that lens, the inconsistency of the last few seasons — and season 8 in particular — makes a lot of sense. It’s practically a miracle that Benioff, Weiss, and the rest of the writers were able to give viewers anything resembling an ending at all, given their self-imposed time frame. Martin has been telling fans for years that good, rich drama takes time. And the show didn’t have enough of that time, given how it compressed the series’ conclusion.

Once more for those in the back...

THE SHOWRUNNERS ARE THE ONES WHO SET THE TIMELINE!

If they didn't have enough time, they have only themselves to blame. HBO has been extremely vocal about wanting to keep GoT on the air. It is literally their biggest critical and monetary hit they've EVER had. They were willing to write "D&D" a blank ******* check in terms of time and money to keep the show going.

Actually, the Lannisters had the gold. And wasn't Littlefinger the Master of Coin? Martel was only promoted once his family married into the Lannisters. He was a token at best.

Who's sitting at Dragon Stone? Gedry got Storms End.

Lannisters had no gold anymore in the show, the mines had been exhausted. Tywin even says that himself.

If you mean the gold from Highgarden that Jaime took in the show, then I refer back to my previous comment, that for the Reach to be such a prosperous region in terms of gold, then it isn't hard to imagine it can continue to make more money.

Token or not, it is specifically stated in the show that the Tyrell's are now the richest House in the Seven Kingdoms, so his appointment was part of the plan to keep Highgarden loyal, whilst borrowing money from them.

Anyone else spot the Raven sigil on Brienne's Kingsguard armour?
29C98D96-CBD3-4C89-9166-BC77E4FBBFCA.jpeg

Last edited:
Im glad i watched what im calling a very well funded fan fiction based on GRRM books. The books are not done, that will be the real ending for me. So many characters in the books that werenot even in the show, ie Dannys brother is alive and well and chilling with Tyrion in the books. Plenty of story to come, will be fun to see how the worlds creator chooses to complete it.

Well, I guess I'm going to throw my 2 cents in. I was fine with the way it went down, didn't have any problems with it. Still one of my all time favorites. Now, it's time to go back and rewatch the whole series all over.

Im glad i watched what im calling a very well funded fan fiction based on GRRM books. The books are not done, that will be the real ending for me. So many characters in the books that werenot even in the show, ie Dannys brother is alive and well and chilling with Tyrion in the books. Plenty of story to come, will be fun to see how the worlds creator chooses to complete it.

He could be Aegon, but it's far from 100% proven yet.

I was good with the ending. Really the whole series as a whole. Folks get too hung up on all endings having to be fairy tail version, which is why too many shows just end on a baby and a wedding. Real life just isn't that stable.

Who else wonders if John, who escaped to the north, will come back a few hundred years later to claim the thrown, as the next Night King.

I've seen these sorts of reactions over and over my whole life, regarding any and every book adaptation to the screen (large or small).

The basic issues, the constants, which no showrunners can overcome, are:

1) Fans of books aren't going to be satisfied with screen adaptations.

2) Fans of a TV series don't want the series to end, thus any ending is unsatisfying.

Heck, Ben Hur has had dozens of stage productions, theatrical films, and made-for-television adaptations, and you know what? None of them follow the book! The book has it all, including a made-for-Hollywood love triangle which is oddly absent from the adaptations. Believe it or not, a Christian ex-General wrote in a love triangle that salacious Hollywood left out.

And don't get me started on Master And Commander! Can you imagine the entire Fire And Ice book series, or the Harry Potter book series, or the Lord Of The Rings book series being crammed into a single film? That's nothing! Master And Commander crammed a brilliant 20-novel series into a single film! Or entirely failed to cram, actually, the film having almost no resemblance.

Early on the show pretty much did a faithful adaptation of the books, but by the time they got to Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons I think the show did a great job job of streamlining the books. They removed a lot of unnecessary minor plot lines that went no where and a lot of the filler.

Martin had originally planned a 5 year time jump after the third book to allow times for the dragons to grow and characters to get where they needed to be for the end game. However he scrapped that and tried writing it as a continuous piece.

I feel this resulted in writing himself in a corner and resulted in way too many plot lines and new characters that don't really move the story forward that much, but rather take a side track. I am pretty sure this is the main reason he has stalled on the writing.

On the other hand though, the TV show dropped the ball in season 7 and 8 and went a little too far with streamlining stuff and just hitting big moments without much to thread them together.

So, early on I would say they are about equal. Seasons 4 to 6, I think the TV show was a bit better than books 4 through 5, but I have a feeling the last two books will outshine the TV show's last few seasons as much of the character development did not carry through like it could of in the POV style of the books.

If you like the show, the books are definitely worth reading, just note that by the time you get to books 4 and 5 their are some notable differences in some character's stories. Sansa's story for example is much different in the books. She is a great example of where the TV show did it better.

Also some character's who were killed off in the show were dead in the books and vice versa and other character's got much more of a spotlight in the show than the books. Bron for example kind of disappears from the books after the battle of Blackwater but had a much bigger part in the TV show. In the books, Jamie trains with Ser Illyn (because he can't speak, so he can't tell anyone that Jamie can't fight)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back