Kurtz Dossier from Apocalypse Now (open source for all!)

Okay the semi gloss two sided thin photo paper I ordered for the magazines may not work. It's good stuff, but might be too thick. I will need to compare it to the magazines when they get here, but I am sure it's too thick for magazine paper.

The black vinyl adhesive sheets also will not work. They are essentially black sticker sheets. Not vinyl like we need for the clear pouches.

It's all good as I never mind having extra supplies. Between me, me kids in high school, and my crafting mother, it will get used up, but we are back to square one on these.

We need two sided regular vinyl ( Some vinyl has a whitish backside) and then a clear, thicker (for snaps) clear plastic. I just don't know how to construct them. Maybe someone who knows Adam can ask and he can tell us where he got those made. We have no solution for the Symbol of the War Office either.
one of these days I will go to FedEx and bring a magazine and see what paper they have. I don't think it would be an issue for them printing something that size. One thing I am worried about is that it would just be a single sided piece of paper and wouldn't really function like a normal magazine. I am uploading a YouTube video right now of me flipping through what I have made so far!

one of these days I will go to FedEx and bring a magazine and see what paper they have. I don't think it would be an issue for them printing something that size. One thing I am worried about is that it would just be a single sided piece of paper and wouldn't really function like a normal magazine. I am uploading a YouTube video right now of me flipping through what I have made so far!
I was thinking of scanning the opposite page of the magazine and printing it on the back side.

On a separate note. The below black file does not appear anywhere in Adam's video???????

1712288825405.jpeg

So standard glossy photopaper seems to be 52+lb.

The thin two sided paper I got was 32lb. Still a bit thick for magazines.

The next size down seems to be 20lb and that is just standard copy paper, none of which I could find in semi gloss.

I have no idea what it means as obviously it's not the weight of these fifty sheet packages, etc.

Just FYI

I was thinking of scanning the opposite page of the magazine and printing it on the back side.

On a separate note. The below black file does not appear anywhere in Adam's video???????

View attachment 1807173
Its funny I was just recently going through the comments and found this, so im guessing he either forgot or just didnt add it in. While at that art store I found and got around 10 of these folders, which I don't think look half bad, but are not 100% accurate. the ones they used seem to have a type of gusset and be made of a thicker paper

Attachments

• COMMENT.png
    COMMENT.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 10
  • BLACKFOLDER.jpg
    BLACKFOLDER.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
So standard glossy photopaper seems to be 52+lb.

The thin two sided paper I got was 32lb. Still a bit thick for magazines.

The next size down seems to be 20lb and that is just standard copy paper, none of which I could find in semi gloss.

I have no idea what it means as obviously it's not the weight of these fifty sheet packages, etc.

Just FYI
I can help with this!

First, a common language when talking about paper: paper weight is deeply weird in the US. US "pounds" refers to the weight of a stack of 500 sheets in its full made size, with that original size dictated by paper type - Bond (what copy paper is rated with) is, when first made, a wildly different size from Text, which is different from Cover, which is different from Card. So the same thickness of paper, made in different large sizes, will have different weights depending on its intended use, and those weights will differ even if the final paper size is the same 8.5x11.

Europe, however, uses the mighty convenient "grams per square meter", which is the same weight rating regardless of the original paper size or its intended use.

A few benchmarks:
Cheap copy = 20 lb bond / 60 pound text / 80 gsm
High end copy / lower weight photo = 32 lb bond / 120 gsm
High weight photo = ~52 lb bond / 200 gsm

(Fountain pen nerds and paper nerds like myself tend to prefer paper rated in the 90-120 gsm range.)

From a quick bit of research, most magazines will aim around the 100-120 gsm range, or about 28-32 lbs bond weight. However, they're not printing on photo paper, they tend to do offest (big-batch) printing on what I'm guessing is a specially coated paper type.

In other words, difficult to reproduce at home, or even at a Kinkos.

If you can, I'd try getting a sample of some really high quality 28 or 32 lb, coated printer paper and see how your prints look on it.

I'd be curious to see what your process is and how it turns out!

I can help with this!

First, a common language when talking about paper: paper weight is deeply weird in the US. US "pounds" refers to the weight of a stack of 500 sheets in its full made size, with that original size dictated by paper type - Bond (what copy paper is rated with) is, when first made, a wildly different size from Text, which is different from Cover, which is different from Card. So the same thickness of paper, made in different large sizes, will have different weights depending on its intended use, and those weights will differ even if the final paper size is the same 8.5x11.

Europe, however, uses the mighty convenient "grams per square meter", which is the same weight rating regardless of the original paper size or its intended use.

A few benchmarks:
Cheap copy = 20 lb bond / 60 pound text / 80 gsm
High end copy / lower weight photo = 32 lb bond / 120 gsm
High weight photo = ~52 lb bond / 200 gsm

(Fountain pen nerds and paper nerds like myself tend to prefer paper rated in the 90-120 gsm range.)

From a quick bit of research, most magazines will aim around the 100-120 gsm range, or about 28-32 lbs bond weight. However, they're not printing on photo paper, they tend to do offest (big-batch) printing on what I'm guessing is a specially coated paper type.

In other words, difficult to reproduce at home, or even at a Kinkos.

If you can, I'd try getting a sample of some really high quality 28 or 32 lb, coated printer paper and see how your prints look on it.

I'd be curious to see what your process is and how it turns out!

1712350263223.png

Alright after looking for a while I ordered these. Reviews says the feel nice and sturdy and I think the color is pretty damn close!

Attachments

• A3F34FD2-2A92-4603-A6DA-B0191EFC5D0A.png
    A3F34FD2-2A92-4603-A6DA-B0191EFC5D0A.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
Oh shoot that’s my bad, I thought I was ordering those so I can print them, I will cancel the order!

Good, yeah I got plenty to send you.

You mentioned that you have to cut them to fit them???? That would mess up the size.

I may look at a larger printer. I have wanted one for other projects as well. Might be a good time.

I will send some to you to play with as soon as it gets here along with a "Red" file.

BTW my amazing wife was able to fix our printer so I can start playing with printing stuff.

:)

Good, yeah I got plenty to send you.

You mentioned that you have to cut them to fit them???? That would mess up the size.

I may look at a larger printer. I have wanted one for other projects as well. Might be a good time.

I will send some to you to play with as soon as it gets here along with a "Red" file.

BTW my amazing wife was able to fix our printer so I can start playing with printing stuff.

:)
I would only have to cut the inner envelope that has the printing on it. I suspect this is what Adam did as well because in this photo you can see how the backside ends with a sharp angle not a curved one. Then inner jackets need to be just as big as the paper because if they go over you cant see the dymo labels on the outer folder. Hopefully that makes sense, if it doesn't I can just wait until I have the folders in hand and show you!

On a separate note I ordered these envelopes today, Comparing them to the one in the movie and the ones Adam made, I think they are dead on. So once I get those I can start printing them.

I also went to an estate sale today and they had a small and cheap Dymo label maker. I got it because I thought it looked cool, but upon using It i actually think this one is more accurate. the text is smaller and looks a lot more similar to Adams. I will send you a set of both and you can choose which one you like better. Its the little things!

Attachments

• ENVELOPENEW.png
    ENVELOPENEW.png
    167.2 KB · Views: 19
  • ENVELOPE.JPG
    ENVELOPE.JPG
    382.6 KB · Views: 19
  • FOLDER.png
    FOLDER.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
Anything else you can think of that needs to be ironed out before the stuff comes? I'm currently just waiting for the envelopes I ordered to come, there doesn't seem much else to do.

Anything else you can think of that needs to be ironed out before the stuff comes? I'm currently just waiting for the envelopes I ordered to come, there doesn't seem much else to do.

Those darn clear pouches. I think the ones you linked to will work, we just need to figure out how to stick some thin vinyl on it, or find the right kind of sticker vinyl. I feel the right kind of sticker vinyl does not exist though. The vinyl for stickers is just different than the vinyl for the pouches.

If anyone knows Adam maybe they can ask where he had his made and we can get some.

I think getting them made will be way too expensive. With how low of an order we would need it probably isn't worth it (for me personally) But after googling if you can iron vinyl on top of vinyl apparently you can stack them and they will adhere though it really is out of my realm of expertise to know if that would really work. I am going to do a quick experiment of spray painting on vinyl to see how well it bonds to it. Not very hopeful haha

alright i painted on some vinyl that would be similar to the ones of the folders and am quite surprised. It takes paint very well and doesn't flake off or crack when i bent it. I really feel like this would be totally fine for what we are using it for. This was just with regular semi-flat spray paint. I rubbed my finger against it multiple times and it looks the exact same

My military files arrived, but they are wrong. They are the correct color, but they have the tab sticking up, and other things are wrong. They did not match this picture:

1712680499432.png

They are this. They are actually the correct color, but wrong style. Adam's Military jacket folders look very similar to the Ivory folders. I want my Military jackets to be a bit darker.

1712681568474.jpeg

So I bought the ones you were going to Ehyder20. They will be here Thursday and I will see if they will work, or if I need to cut down the wrong tabbed ones I have now and return the others.

1712681485145.png

The Red files arrived. They are not the same as the film or Adam's. They are very matte, they have the inner folder built in. I actually think it will work for the 'Top Secret" file, as this would be different that the standard military jacket.

I have ten. I need two and I am sending two to Ehyder20 if he wants them so I have six left to send out.
1712681773154.jpeg

1712681799673.jpeg

1712681785069.jpeg

1712681845613.jpeg

The time magazine arrived. I was worried the thin, double side print paper I got was too thick, but it feels very similar so I think it will work for the Magazine cover and inserts. I can send out some of this as well.

1712682057465.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back