Luke Skywalker ROTJ Belt build

Tanhauser

Finally. It's finished!

Over the last little while I've been busy working on a Luke's ROTJ belt replica, a project that started a few months ago in a bid to complete an iconic costume replica.

IMG_3985.JPG

Where to begin? Other than with an excuse to watch the OT again... as 'research'.

Common theories I've seen have suggested that the ROTJ belt was re-purposed and re-dyed from ESB, but upon close inspection, I'm not so sure. The hardware on the ESB belts shifts throughout the movie, but can be tracked with close inspection.

LUKE ESB BELt COMP.png

Originally, the lightsaber hook and D-ring appear close together - towards the tail of the belt, separated by the first belt notch - allowing the belt to be worn over the thicker Hoth fabrics on the third notch. For the Bespin hallway scenes, however, the lightsaber hook moves outside the D-rings, and the belt tightens to the first notch. Onto the Bespin duel and Dagobah scenes, the D-ring moves this time, outside the newly placed lightsaber hook, and this is how the belt would remain for later exhibitions. The 'scars' of the rivets original holes can still be seen however, both in set pictures (3a), and exhibitions (3b). While there likely will have been multiple filming props, this evolution seems to be consistent for all.

LUKE ROTJ BELT.png

None of these 'scars' are visible on the ROTJ belts, and the hardware doesn't quite seem to match any of the positions seen in the ESB belt evolution. Meaning... brand new belts!

LUKE ROTJ BELT2.png

While often appearing black, several shots show the belt to be its burnt-umber colour, breaking up Luke's iconic ROTJ black. From exhibition photos too, it's clear that the belt began life in a fudge brown colour, and was over-dyed to achieve the weathered, near-black finish. The flesh-side of the belt has, to my knowledge, never been shown, so determining the colour takes a little more guess work! The way the black has faded and weathered in later exhibition photos, however, would seem to suggest the belt was only surface-dyed, perhaps with the edges and flesh-side remaining the lighter brown.

LUKE ROTJ BELT POUCH.png

Unlike the belt itself, the single pouch may well have been a re-purposed ESB prop. The shape remains identical, and display photos exhibit the familiar over-dying evidence as the belt itself.

The buckle front is fairly self-explanatory; steel, coated black and weathered, with some noticeable scratches present on one of the filming props. The buckle is then fastened to the belt with line-24 snaps, allowing for easy removal. But with the back of the buckle never seen, a little more interpretation is required. It's clear that Luke's ESB buckles used a square D-Ring mechanism to attach them, and display photos seem to back this up for the ROTJ props too. A simple ring-and-hook fixing makes sense, but due to the thickness of the looped leather, this would stop the buckle lying flat. It's clear then that the underside was raised slightly on the left to achieve a front facing buckle. For the replica, then, some creativity was needed.

LUKE ROTJ BELT puches wip.png

Starting with the pouch, the vegetable tanned leather was dyed to the fudge-brown under-shade, cut, and wet moulded to shape. Tabs were tucked, glued, and double-cap-riveted into place. The stitching lines were then marked, punched, then the two pattern pieces glued and sewn! Finished off with line-24-snaps, some light edge-burnishing and over-dyed to match the screen-used prop.

LUKE ROTJ BELT pouches.png

The belt itself is much the same. Cut, dyed brown, hardware-holes punched, burnished and finished with the black top-coat.

LUKE ROTJ BELT HARDWARE.png

The hardware was crafted from galvanised steel; the lightsaber clip cut by hand, polished, and pop-riveted into place. Alongside it, the D-ring, enclosed in a double-cap-riveted leather loop. The buckle itself was a far more time consuming affair. The fasting mechanism went through several revisions, until I was finally happy with the result. The square D-ring sits nicely, the prong allows the buckle to line up accurately with the belt notches, and is slightly raised to stop any unwanted tilt! Several coats of black paint was smudged, sanded, stippled and wiped to best achieve the dirty weathered look. And some screen matched scratches to finish!

IMG_3981.JPG

Thank you all for taking the time to read my first post! Now, time to finish the rest of the batch!

That's really high quality. I've had my eye on making a pouch inspired by this prop. I built a jedi/scoundrel belt and holster using ideas from this and other props. It's reversed because I'm left handed.

Did you follow any sort of pattern for the pouch?

Attachments

• IMG_9081 2.jpg
    IMG_9081 2.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9080 2.jpg
    IMG_9080 2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9067 2.JPG
    IMG_9067 2.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8901.JPG
    IMG_8901.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
That's really high quality. I've had my eye on making a pouch inspired by this prop. I built a jedi/scoundrel belt and holster using ideas from this and other props. It's reversed because I'm left handed.

Did you follow any sort of pattern for the pouch?
Thank you! I ended up drafting the pattern myself, on the back of old Amazon packaging! It’s two pieces. The first is simply the long back piece, curved on the top end. The second is a little more complex, but essentially a rectangular piece with tabs cut into the bottom end to fold under, and the seem allowance skived on 3 of the edges.

Love the Jedi/scoundrel belt!

Nice belt indeed ... and here is some reference for Luke V2 costume (see pdf) thusfar I haven't seen anyone doing the hidden zipper under the left-arm :

Schermafbeelding 2024-04-18 om 01.42.28.png

And don't forget the 'military' band/toxedo stripes on the sides of his pants :

Luke ROTJ Pants MR.jpg

Luke ROTJ Belt.jpg

Also the lapels are 2 folding flaps,1 flap from right to left and 1 over that from left to right :

Luke s640x480.jpg

58f9903a2c83fbb0278808965ae238bf--star-wars-clone-star-trek.jpg

Chaïm

Attachments

• Luke ROTJ SW Costumes Book.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Exceptional research and craftsmanship on this! Truly impressive.

I've made a Luke ROTJ costume on commission and a shirt with the hidden zipper. If you have questions I'd be more than happy to help and I've got fabrics available for it too if you're in need.

View attachment 1811379View attachment 1811380View attachment 1811381View attachment 1811382View attachment 1811383View attachment 1811384View attachment 1811385
Incredible setup! Quick question… green zip tie on the neck?

Oh lol! These photos are of my client who had the photos professionally taken. She attended a convention where they added the zip tie to her hilt much the same way they do for replica firearms as a way to let convention goers know that it's not a potential weapon. It's standard safety protocol for most conventions.

Oh lol! These photos are of my client who had the photos professionally taken. She attended a convention where they added the zip tie to her hilt much the same way they do for replica firearms as a way to let convention goers know that it's not a potential weapon. It's standard safety protocol for most conventions.
Wow! Never heard of this with sabers, very interesting! Sorry for hi jacking the thread I was wicked curious

As always Psab, incredible work!

Yeah they do it with lots of weapon props. It's kind of strange, but they do it with swords, axes and other weapons if you bring your own to a Renaissance festival. Thank you Halliwax ! I really appreciate that. I hope I didn't hijack the thread either.

The Luke ROTJ is my absolute favorite costume in the entire franchise and seeing the incredible belt that Tanhauser made, I wanted to offer help with the costume if necessary. I hope you share your costume builds with us too. If they're anything like this belt, they'll be sure to impress!

Cantina_Dude you've got to see this belt!

Cantina_Dude you've got to see this belt!
Looks nice! I like the weathering on the face of the buckle. Looks very much in the style of the originals!

None of these 'scars' are visible on the ROTJ belts, and the hardware doesn't quite seem to match any of the positions seen in the ESB belt evolution. Meaning... brand new belts!
I do want to point out that the logic here breaks down a little... Just because the ESB belts you have tracked the evolution of obviously aren't what became the 2 hero ROTJ belts doesn't mean that the ROTJ belts weren't made from different ESB belts. There absolutely were multiple belts made for ESB, and a couple of them were re-worked to create the ROTJ belts.

The flesh-side of the belt has, to my knowledge, never been shown, so determining the colour takes a little more guess work!
1713541311616.png

The flesh-side of one of the ROTJ belts can be seen in this image. It was just left completely undyed, just like pretty much all belts made in the OT.

The buckle front is fairly self-explanatory; steel, coated black and weathered, with some noticeable scratches present on one of the filming props. The buckle is then fastened to the belt with line-24 snaps, allowing for easy removal. But with the back of the buckle never seen, a little more interpretation is required. It's clear that Luke's ESB buckles used a square D-Ring mechanism to attach them, and display photos seem to back this up for the ROTJ props too. A simple ring-and-hook fixing makes sense, but due to the thickness of the looped leather, this would stop the buckle lying flat. It's clear then that the underside was raised slightly on the left to achieve a front facing buckle. For the replica, then, some creativity was needed.
The buckles were off-the-shelf rectangular buckle blanks (which already came with the simple hook and ring hardware attached) that were modified by cutting the corners off to create the octagonal shape. The is a slight bend to them, following the curve of the waist. You might try giving yours a similar curve to eliminate the dead flat look. The rings on the back of the buckles weren't actually rectangular, but since they aren't all that visible when the belt is worn, it's probably not a detail most people will care about.

Looking forward to seeing your full costume!

Looks nice! I like the weathering on the face of the buckle. Looks very much in the style of the originals!

I do want to point out that the logic here breaks down a little... Just because the ESB belts you have tracked the evolution of obviously aren't what became the 2 hero ROTJ belts doesn't mean that the ROTJ belts weren't made from different ESB belts. There absolutely were multiple belts made for ESB, and a couple of them were re-worked to create the ROTJ belts.

View attachment 1811438
The flesh-side of one of the ROTJ belts can be seen in this image. It was just left completely undyed, just like pretty much all belts made in the OT.

The buckles were off-the-shelf rectangular buckle blanks (which already came with the simple hook and ring hardware attached) that were modified by cutting the corners off to create the octagonal shape. The is a slight bend to them, following the curve of the waist. You might try giving yours a similar curve to eliminate the dead flat look. The rings on the back of the buckles weren't actually rectangular, but since they aren't all that visible when the belt is worn, it's probably not a detail most people will care about.

Looking forward to seeing your full costume!

Thank you for sharing this image! I have no clue where you were able to source it as most reference images never show the interior of costume pieces.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back