Done / Completed Metal fifth element ZF-1 upgrade kit for Jake's kit

done with the maglite support part! one of the nicest parts from the kit I feel :)
I'm super happy with the result! they look even much better in real life, aluminium is always hard to photograph and those are crappy phone pics with the end of day light in the workshop

before clean up:
IMG_20230125_182019.jpg

finished part:
IMG_20230125_182201.jpg

IMG_20230125_182207.jpg

IMG_20230125_182217.jpg

IMG_20230125_182243.jpg

cheers!

Hello guys,
I finished the ice cube system parts today! (mostly, need some more screws!)
those are basically the most complicated/time consuming parts for this run.
IMG_20230202_105519.jpg

starting to look like something is happening!
IMG_20230202_105501.jpg

I have now decided to put the priority into finishing this run so we are looking at an end of February release date instead of end of March now :)
i'll be getting in touch with people from the list in the coming weeks to explain payment and ask for the options you want, Proxxon torch tip for instance.
cheers

Hey there,
I basically finished the torch holders today, those are beautiful and complex parts to do! I made a small mistake and cut a slot on the wrong side of the bar for some reason, so I'll have to cut the same slot on the other side of the bar tomorrow. Stupid but not visible on the final product as this is the slot for the holding screw to butt against. You guys will just have to be carefull to insert the bar on the good side when installing those! (set screw facing down)

other than that, they are looking awesome and that's one more part removed from the to do list!
I need to write a message and contact all the persons on the list for the final details, price, options like the Proxxon torch. Will try to do that soon-ish!
I have secured some Clippard MPA-3 parts for everybody in the meantime, for the same price as last run, so that's good news already :) still need to receive them though!

IMG_20230208_171845.jpg

IMG_20230208_172051.jpg

cheers

Hi there,
finished the barrels and triangle holder pieces. The triangles are actually the most complex part of the kit to get right, it is very critical because of how it has to accept perfectly the rocket and its fins, very complex to machine, it almost was a huge drama on the first run and I almost thought I would need to redo them completely when I finished them!
It went mostly smoothly this time but it took time and patience :)
IMG_20230217_183529.jpg

we are almost there! some assembly left on the finished parts and the last part, the maglite turned tips :)
in the meantime, here we are:
IMG_20230217_183536.jpg

I'll get in touch with everyone in the coming days for details!

for latecomers interested in those, i have 4 partial kits available soon. Those are made of the "main" parts and are a bit cheaper to afford. If you get in touch quickly, we can also discuss adding a few parts if you want something in between.

future kit.jpg

cheers

Hey there,
well, those triangle holder parts still wanted to annoy me one last time!
I discovered that the angle of the hole to secure the rocket to the part was not good and it was troublesome to attach the nut to the screw inside the rocket. So, I had to correct the angle of the hole to fix that! the result works perfectly now, however, although this is not visible at all when attached together, it doesn't look very nice when the part is not attached, sorry about that guys!

so yeah, there is a bit of a double hole here, the screw will come already attached to the part in the proper hole, so you'll just need to remove the nut, put the rocket and secure the nut inside. I would attach everything together myself to make it easy for you guys, but this would come in the way of painting the blue parts and attaching the fins of the rocket.
IMG_20230218_114702.jpg

IMG_20230218_114713.jpg

IMG_20230218_114734.jpg

seriously, I'm sorry for the slightly unproffessional result for that hole. Issues like this can happen, luckily it's not something visible that would force me to redo the parts completely! there was also an extra hole in the first run on this part before I figured out an easier way to attach the rocket! once again, this part might not look like much, but it's hell to get it perfect and have all the parts around it fit perfectly!

when attaching the rocket, it works perfectly :)
IMG_20230218_114810.jpg

IMG_20230218_114829.jpg

that being said, look at those parts, aren't they awesome?!
IMG_20230218_160939.jpg

cheers

Hello guys,
ok, here are the final details! I'll send a PM to people on the list to collect their choices for options.

As previously mentioned, the kits for this second run will be very slightly different from the first run and the price slightly adjusted by necessity.
Even though the cost of life, found parts, materials and my own costs have increased quite a bit, I did my very best to stay very close to the first offering, I hope you'll be ok with it :)
One of the main difference that forced me to adjust the price was that I was able to find a lot of very cheap maglite spare parts for the first run. I purshassed the whole stock at the time and used it completely on the first run.
DSC04631.JPG

For this second run, I have to buy complete maglites and the price is 5 times what I paid for the spare parts.
On the plus side, I bought those in bulk before they increased even more, so you all get a good price for those. And, this means that you can add a AAA battery to the maglite and it will be functional by a twist of the aluminium part attached to it :)

To offset a bit the price difference, and because I felt this part was not super usefull and more difficult to attach, I removed from this run the 2 small tubes that go at the back of the ZF-1.
DSC_0923.JPG

Other than that and the Clippard parts discussed below, the base kit is the same and I have to say, I'm extremely happy about the parts, I have some better tools than for the first run and some of the surface finish is much better on the milled parts :)

Price of the new base kit without clippard MPA-3 and small back tubes but with functional maglites is 449€

Now, let's discuss the options,

- option 1, I was able to source the main Clippard MJV-3 part as well for this run, so this is included, however, the tubular MPA-3 part has become more scarce and much more expensive, so I wasn't able to source it.
What I want to offer is a brass replica of the part for 12€. It will be an exact match to the real part, but there will not be any clippard writings on the surface.
this is the part:
1676800066493.png

I think this is the easiest solution for everyone and it will allow you to still get a high quality brass part on your ZF-1 for a fraction of the cost of the real part and without the trouble of having to find it.
Please be aware that the MPA-3P version seems more widely available now, but this is not the correct version, it is a different size.
fun fact, they even used a basic brass cylinder on the second propstore version of the ZF-1, so an accurate brass replica of the MPA-3 part would be in between both versions
1676799991203.png

- option 2, on the first run, I offered a set of 4 aluminium knobs to attach the lateral rails for 30€. This was a separate listing but everyone ended up buying them.
For this run, I'll lower the price to 26€ as a small additional gesture. Do you want them as well? if everyone says yes, they will be included directly in the kit for ease of purchasse.
DSC_0930.JPG

- option 3, like for the first run, I am able to offer as an option a real Proxxon torch tip. The price has increased as always, but I chose to still offer it for the same price of 45€ as I'm aware this is already expensive.
I'm not making any profit on this, this is just to help you guys! The advantage again is that you don't have to source one yourself, and I'm attaching it myself making sure it ends up in the good orientation when threaded on my support.
DSC_0904.JPG

again, this is just to help, if anyone want to source their own torch or check out the price themselves, here is a list of models that are normally correct:
BLAZER PRODUCTS 189-4001 GB4001 STINGRAY
Power Probe MT Micro Torch
Clarke micro torch
Proxxon Microflame

please be aware that although the websites often show them with the acurate white tip, they most of the time come with a black tip now. I think they just updated the model. The one I'm offering will also have a black tip, there is nothing I can do about that. You can always paint it of course :)
if you say now that you are interested, I'll buy one specifically for you and will ask that you actually pay for it when I release the kits and not change your mind, making me loose money on this :)

- finaly, you can purchasse Real Saia-burgess buttons (for the red button) directly from the RS components website, they are pretty expensive though and don't come with a red lens,
I'll let you navigate the complex system of websites from RS to find your own local one, but this is the item at least:

that's it, sorry for the long message, this run is complex to handle!
I'll be sending you a short PM soon now to collect your options and explain payment.
cheers

Hey there,
making good progress on the maglite turned tips! very happy with those parts as well!
IMG_20230222_180145.jpg

IMG_20230222_180159.jpg

IMG_20230222_180215.jpg

my concern at the moment is with the Clippart MJV-3 parts that I ordered two weeks ago, they were shipped with the ebay global shipping and there hasn't been any updates for more than a week. It's pretty much always like that but this means I have no idea if I will receive those soon or if those will actually delay the run... I'm almost done with the rest of the parts appart from that!
cheers

hey guys,
alright, where are we:

- Clippart MJV-3 parts are finally moving and are in France now, so this is good, it might not delay me!

- Proxxon torches for people that needed one are ordered and should be here soon.

- replica Clippart MPA-3 parts are done and appart from the writtings, they look just the part! I kept the raw aspect of the brass rod and only machined the ends as needed because this is what this kind of industrial part feel like and it's very hard to get this kind of surface after a part is machined. Very happy with the result :)
IMG_20230224_161316.jpg
IMG_20230224_161244.jpg

- I got the answers from everybody for the options, everyone went with the replica MPA-3 part and the set of 4 lateral knobs, so they will be included by default in the full kit now. easier to handle that way! (Full kit + replica MPA-3 part + 4 knobs: 487€)

finaly, there has been a couple drop outs on the kits, so, I have 2 full kits available and 2 partial kits as well. Those are the last kits ever, if you want one, now is the time :)
Partial kits have the parts in the picture below and are 295€ + shipping.
future kit.jpg

cheers

Hey guys,
I finished the maglite turned tips today, they look great :)
IMG_20230225_165235.jpg

IMG_20230225_170723.jpg

this basically concludes the machining on this run! just a couple extra parts to do for the kits that are not yet spoken for and waiting for the Clippard parts and Proxxon torches to show up early next week I hope!
So, I guess you can expect a message from me for payment pretty soon now :)
cheers
IMG_20230225_170730.jpg

Hey guys,
Proxxon torches have arrived today, I broke them appart and installed them, so this is all ready! I'll start going through the list now and send out invoices for those :)
IMG_20230301_161216.jpg

If someone is interested by one of those kits or a partial one like explained above, please get in touch, I have 4 kits left!
cheers

Hello guys,

I have one last full kit for 487€, ready to ship:
full kit.jpg

and two partial kits left for 295€, ready to ship as well:
IMG_20230313_171907.jpg

those should normally be the last ones ever from me, so grab them while you can!
thank you :)

If you already have Jake's kit you have to get this upgrade kit. Eethan has done a tremendous job handmaking all these parts in his little shop of wonders. You will not be disappointed!

Bump for the last two kits ever to upgrade your ZF-1 to the same look Jake just posted in his thread!

Repliedby pm already but just to make sure it's clear in public as well, that last kit sold a good while ago and was truly the last one ever from me, I will not be revisiting this project.

Jake has a few CNC metal kits left I believe, people that are interested can see with him directly.
Cheers

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back