Announcement More minor changes.

where's Mr. Green
icon_mrgreen.gif
? I liked his grin
no1.gif
and the IPB Smileys

I will say, in my defence though, that I was being defensive about the site, as we have all been in the past. I simply realise now that I didn't need to be.
Feeing a little foolish now for shooting my mouth off before knowing all the facts. Sorry Art, and everyone else, too.:$

Absolutely no need to feel foolish.

Made another update. We have disabled Visitor Messaging as it is continually confused with Private Messaging and messages that were intended to be private communications are inadvertently publicly posted on a member's profile via Visitor Messaging.

As with many things, this is probably something that the vast majority of members didn't even know existed, so its effects on most will be negligible.

Well that's too bad. I've actually been using the Visitor Messages as a feedback page of sorts for my Junkyard transactions...

Oh well.

Art, if you're looking for a more unified LOL replacement, I just whipped this one up, combining the old and new styles:

RPF-LOL_Custom_zpsc642d567.gif

I also set it so the aliasing SHOULD blend in with the new site design to prevent jagged edges or white "halos." (But since we're not on that design, only you can say whether my attempt worked or not)

I'd be happy to work up some further customizations for some of the others if this little experiment works. (Fingers crossed on that last part)

-Nick

EDIT: And a slightly slower animation to better match the legacy LOL:
RPF-LOL_Custom2_zps61c90eb7.gif

Last edited:
As with many things, this is probably something that the vast majority of members didn't even know existed, so its effects on most will be negligible.

I'd catch visitor messages about once a year, by accident. I was never able to remember that feature existed, and I'd sometimes received comms that I might have needed to know about. There were no notifications, AFAIK? Anyway, jedimarkj aside I think most of us would agree with this.

I feel his pain though, using the system as a feedback page was a clever idea. With the amount of business done on this forum, and the numbers of flakes and scammers, a buyer/seller rating system would *really* go down well.

Updated the following emoticons and have us cut down to the final 28.

MUCH better!!! :thumbsup

Also, we have removed Post Icons... another "feature" that isn't used.

Removed the what? :lol

With the amount of business done on this forum, and the numbers of flakes and scammers, a buyer/seller rating system would *really* go down well.

Logic would dictate that... but watch the sparks fly and the outrage begin when it happens.

You don't have to tell me, it's the sort of thing I deal with daily. :/ Can it be made opt-in? That makes any comebacks squarely the responsibility of the user, but obviously there will be an incentive to use it.

Do you have a small dissenting internal voice thinking 'popcornpopcornpopcorn'? I would. :lol

Can you say as yet how far off that one is? Can't come soon enough for me, heh.

Edit - oh well. That would really put a lot of griping to bed, but OTOH a level playing field is also a good thing.

I'm going to get occasional bad feedback. I've sometimes looked into sales but backed out, or been unable to get back to people in a timely way or whatever. It'll happen. I'm mostly a good buyer and my feedback will average out to reflect that. If I don't like the bad feedback then it's incumbent on me to do better, not to whine like a child.

...maybe we're gonna need a 'whining like a child' feedback system too. :lol

Last edited:
Do you have a small dissenting internal voice thinking 'popcornpopcornpopcorn'? I would. :lol

Hopefully I am reading what you are saying correctly, so if my response is totally off-base, feel free to ignore it.

I know that popcorn moments are sure to follow even the most minor changes, but I don't look forward to them. While I am usually fairly confident in my decisions (because they are rarely derived without the counsel of numerous people, behind the scenes), there is always just the slightest sting of pain, knowing that some of our most dedicated and passionate members doubt me and fail to have any faith that small decisions are almost always part of a larger picture. Don't get me wrong. I am not crying about it or looking for sympathy. I would just think by this point, those who have been here for a while would have a little more faith and confidence, even when they are only seeing things through a glass darkly. I am not infallible, but my intentions are always focused squarely on what I believe to be best for the community.

Can you say as yet how far off that one is? Can't come soon enough for me, heh.

You and Rylo both. I think he might actually die if we don't get it implemented soon. The first step is to get upgraded to the new software. From there, we are going to completely revamp the Junkyard (and yes, it will still be called the Junkyard). I can't say how soon after the upgrade (it depends on how many issues we have after the upgrade and how the upgrade impacts sustainability from a financial perspective), but it will be our primary focus, post-upgrade. After that, we have a number of other initiatives we plan to implement, including a massive resorting of information... but that is going to be a long and tough project that may include the help of the entire community.... kind of like how we came together during the hacking incident.

I think the next year or so is really going to be some exciting times for the RPF and I am really happy to be here for it all!

Haha, re Rylo. No, not exactly off base but not quite on target either - I didn't intend any sting, which was why I used the word "dissenting"; I meant in the sense of the minority voice. The one which doesn't care that you're going to be the one cleaning up the mess - in short the tiny cartoon devil on your shoulder, we've all got one. :lol

Personally I'm finding this all pretty interesting. Cannot WAIT to see the JY changes, right now it is tough to keep track of. I dare say any changes there which make it easier to navigate are going to be bad for my wallet, though. :lol

BTW, good to note the new smilies look rubbish only in the Legacy skin, I hadn't caught that before.

The one which doesn't care that you're going to be the one cleaning up the mess - in short the tiny cartoon devil on your shoulder, we've all got one. :lol

I'd be lying if I said thoughts never crossed my mind. But then Kristen smacks me and reminds me I am here to serve and not here to torture, as much as I might want to every now and then... :lol

Personally I'm finding this all pretty interesting. Cannot WAIT to see the JY changes, right now it is tough to keep track of. I dare say any changes there which make it easier to navigate are going to be bad for my wallet, though. :lol

I think what you will see after the changes will be a drastic slowdown in the Junkyard, which actually will be a good thing. I also hope that we will have fewer scammers and blatant ripoff artists. We will see.

BTW, good to note the new smilies look rubbish only in the Legacy skin, I hadn't caught that before.

I don't know anything about that because we simply don't design for the Legacy theme at all any more and only hang onto it because there is no point in taking something away from the members who love it for no reason.

I think what you will see after the changes will be a drastic slowdown in the Junkyard, which actually will be a good thing. I also hope that we will have fewer scammers and blatant ripoff artists. We will see.

:lol

You sound like you want to come out and say something! Come on, we all know what you're talking about right? ;)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back