MR Falcon

You can't really use those pictures for photo comparison. The "real" one was shot on film, using who-knows-what lighting, who-knows-what film stock, was printed using who-knows-what filters, et al.

Very valid point, but for those of us who have been lucky enough to see the original 32" Falcon in person, it will be disappointing if the colors aren't the same.

Chris

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treadwell @ Jan 16 2007, 09:01 PM) [snapback]1398628[/snapback]</div>
You can't really use those pictures for photo comparison. The "real" one was shot on film, using who-knows-what lighting, who-knows-what film stock, was printed using who-knows-what filters, et al.
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moffeaton @ Jan 16 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]1398407[/snapback]</div>
falcon.jpg

[/b]

No radar dish, huh? Looks like Lando's been driving. :lol

Congratulations to everyone who's managed to snag one of these.... IMO *the* most iconic spaceship from the Star Wars movies :thumbsup

Cheers,
John

the hull looks too uniform beige, when in reality it was whiter in some panels and greyer in others[/b]

I agree Jason, I'm doing some more painting on mine tonight and lightening up some areas so that the hull isn't such a solid color. To me the paint job on the real thing looks like it matches when taken as a whole because of the way it's blended but if you look at individual areas the tone varies quite a bit in the grey-beige-yellowish white shades. I guess this is why the color of the falcon has always been so elusive because it has so many tones in it it can look vary different depending on how it's viewed and even the individual viewing it. I'll post some pics later tonight when I'm finished. At this rate I've nearly repainted the whole top. :p

Check this out. $180 at Ikea for three of these shorter "Billy" cabinets (and a bracing in the back, hidden under the Falcon base) gives you this:

DSC03863.jpg

DSC03864.jpg

Still working on the display itself, but I got the shelves built in about an hour. The L bracket supplied (to anchor the shelves to the wall) is used to anchor the shelves to each other.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moffeaton @ Jan 16 2007, 06:18 PM) [snapback]1398502[/snapback]</div>
the red looks too "red" (could be my camera - need to check against the swatches I have, tonight) --- and the grey panels look far too blue in hue.
[/b]
To me, it seems that is a direct connection to Dymerski's take on the Falcon. Recall his FM build up. These color issues become quite apparent on that one.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moffeaton @ Jan 16 2007, 06:18 PM) [snapback]1398502[/snapback]</div>
The streaking, spotting, and scorches are okay,
[/b]
Except for the heavy airbrushing over the streaks. One of the things "the nightrider" has correct with great effect/appeal.

I'll repaint her and maybe add back some of the parts that were knocked off over the years...
[/b]
Like the trapezoid shield in front of the top gun.? ;) Dunno how MR missed that one, when the DID add in the fins on the underside that are rarely if ever seen on screen...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moffeaton @ Jan 17 2007, 12:39 AM) [snapback]1398740[/snapback]</div>
Check this out. $180 at Ikea for three of these shorter "Billy" cabinets (and a bracing in the back, hidden under the Falcon base) gives you this:[/b]
Nice. Someone's been to White Marsh mall.

Just last night, in fact. It took a herculean effort not to stop by Panera on the way outta there. I do so love the You Pick Twos...

Hey Jason,

I forgot to say- I LOVE your bluescreen blue wall. Very appropriate for displaying studio scale models from the pre-green screen CGI era.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks. The walls (for me) are perfect (a little darker than true bluescreen blue) - in the evening, it appears very dark and is perfect for the TV/home theater. We have blackout curtains that help, too. In the day, it brightens up considerably - and regardless of lighting conditions, everything "pops" and shows nicely :)

I'll take more pics once everything is cleaned up/settled.

for those of you wondering about teh colors...

The ANH 5 footer was a little lighter colored then the 32". The MR falcon being copied from the 32" is a little darker then the 5 footer I've seen in person. The color looks righ ton the money to me. taking flash pictures the colors on my MR look exactly the same as the flash picts I have for reference, and the non-flash pics depend so much on the ambient lighting that the color is hard to pick out for sure, but I can adjust the "normal lighting" lighting in my home to recreated my variousl reference photos - so if its off its only a smidge - and I'm betting that its darn close to dead on based on knowing the guys who were invloved in creating the master... who had access to the original for comparisons and are at least as anal retentive about the falcon as I am ;)

Jedi Dade

Well, I spent 8 hours with the 32"er in Feb 2005 for MR, and after the day was done, the Falcon was scanned and MR was supplied with color samples/tons of photos. I can't speak for the paint masters since I didn't do 'em or see them in person, but the 32" replica I received does not match the coloring of the 32"er in the archives/as seen on tour. The base color is too uniform and too tan. The grey and red are off as well, as stated and illustrated in my photo previously. See?

compare.jpg

Stuff like that happens when you're making a product, and not a one of a kind piece. It's still a heck of an amazing replica, and I'm proud as heck to own it. Everyone who worked on it is amazingly talented, especially Moe - the Falcon parts master who lives and breathes studio scale Star Wars, and I recommend it to everyone I've talked to.

WOW fantastic photo comparison. Once you compare the real deal to the replica you can really see the difference in paint quality. Looks like all of the details on the MR are airbrushed on from stencils and is fuzzy. The original is clearly applied with a fine brush.

It would be cool to see someone completely repaint a MR with the correct paint details. I'm sure it's already in the works on some body's work bench. :D

I think Dean's Falcon looks fantastic (the one with the figures he made) and I am really looking forward to the others that people have shown progress on. It's a beautiful beautiful model... I just keep staring at it..

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back