MR TOS Enterprise - new pics

These stories make me sad. I was going to purchase one after the sale of my house but now I'm not so sure. I think I may be way to much of a perfectionist to be able to enjoy it. :(

These stories make me sad. I was going to purchase one after the sale of my house but now I'm not so sure. I think I may be way to much of a perfectionist to be able to enjoy it. :(

There is no such thing as perfection as far as building or collecting models or props.
I think the artistic abilities in us all make us revaluate our creations and our collections all the time.

I’ve seen too many arguments about details being off by a fraction of a millimeter, especially among military armor modelers.
I really don’t care as long as it’s a realistic representation of the piece.

If you constantly search for perfection you miss out the ability to enjoy many things.
99 percent of the general public couldn’t tell the difference anyway.

So sycor if you value perfection, bless you and be happy. Its your decision to make.

I’m very happy with my Enterprise. Is it perfect? No! but I still enjoy it just the same.

Al

Last edited:
My apologies, no insult intended. And I have no problems with things being slightly off. I have replica sabers and other items that I know are not perfect. I don't expect them to be. I was referring more to the badly produced pieces with light leaks and what appear to be poorly fitted seams and electrical issues. If your piece is not like that then that is awesome. I just know my luck would not turn out that way.

Again, no insults were intended. I'm an MR dealer and love their items. I just disappointed to hear about the problems with this piece.

Perfection is relative.

A pro model builder will look at the MR E and cringe at some things and be awed by others. A Joe off the street is totally dazzled and sees nothing wrong at all.

The whole thing is totally mixed on QC.

Now taken as a whole, most seem to grade around a B.

But if you got a bugaboo about a certain issue, like thick grid lines for instance. It can ruin the whole thing for you.

I am grateful the grids on mine (second one, first had light failures) were fairly light especially on the bottom.

I can accept other imperfections that dont tweak my sense of asthetics so much.

Perfection is relative.

A pro model builder will look at the MR E and cringe at some things and be awed by others. A Joe off the street is totally dazzled and sees nothing wrong at all.

The whole thing is totally mixed on QC.

Now taken as a whole, most seem to grade around a B.

But if you got a bugaboo about a certain issue, like thick grid lines for instance. It can ruin the whole thing for you.

I am grateful the grids on mine (second one, first had light failures) were fairly light especially on the bottom.

I can accept other imperfections that dont tweak my sense of asthetics so much.

I've noticed something a little odd with mine.
One of the engine lights spins slower than the other. It does catch up after a minute.

Anybody else notice this?

One of the engine lights spins slower than the other. It does catch up after a minute.

Only in the very beginning did I notice something like that (with my first one). Newly out of the box I flipped the power switch and the right side did not spin for about 6 seconds, then slowly it started and soon matched the speed of the other . . . never did that again.

RW.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have not had that problem.

Perhaps let it run for a few hours and see if the gearing works in a bit better if you havent already.

Thanks for the responses. I received mine last month and have really babied it. I think it's been on for a total of two minutes in all!
I"ll let it run for a while and see what happens.

By the way, I've tried to purchase a case for the Big E through "case for collectibles" and they have told me that a case that size is too big to ship to me in Canada.

I've put out emails to other companies but can anybody else recommend another company?

I have not had that problem.

Perhaps let it run for a few hours and see if the gearing works in a bit better if you havent already.

I seem to be hearing lots of folks mentioning one of the nacelles are malfunctioning after a period of time..... is it always the same one or does it vary???

Dave

Last edited:
Received my second replacement today . . . it is . . . a keeper!!

To my relief it is nearly perfect. Grid lines are very light and perfectly aligned
Weathering: Perfect,
Bridge Windows: perfectly aligned.
Shuttle Bay Windows: Very Nice almost perfect.
Lights: Working fine
Paint & Decal finish: Very good, no chips or dull marks.

There are a few minor nit-picks but they are very minor to be sure so I won’t get into them here.

All in all I am very pleased with this replacement; finally I have a viable ship now I can get down to some serious action shots of the USS Enterprise!

RW.

(first post here...)

I just received a replacement too. Grids are light and centered, happily and weathering is acceptable. (My last one, the grids were drawn on by Mr. Heavy Hand, at his heaviest.) Having been around the block a few times on this now I've come to accept that flawless ships are few and far between, so I'm thinking this is probably a keeper. Only hesitation is the port nacelle. It's about 1/8" lower than the starboard, which is annoying but not something you notice unless you're looking at the ship dead on. Also that nacelle's motor worries me -- it started up slow when I first turned it on, and then came up to speed, but the motor sounds noisier and makes less of a steady whirr, more of a rhytmic whiiRRR whiiRRR whiiRRR. If that makes any sense, hard to explain in text. Anyway I'm leaving it running for long periods of time and we'll see. (Interesting, if these are the last out the door, my number is still in the 500s.)

I just received #397 yesterday and I can't be happier. I see none of the problems mentioned above, lights work perfectly, decals aligned correctly, etc... I have to say I haven't been this excited about a prop in a looong time!!

Awesome!

look forward to pics of one of the last out the door.

I am very happy with the grid lines and the weathering on my (third) ship.

Enterprise-Grids.jpg

The first replacement had some very heavy lines. The weathering on it was brutal, hard edged airbrushed work really killed the illusion of reality.

Here she is on her stand beside my easel . . . the stars are real :rolleyes. . . I wished. Nothing like a little Photoshop work to put the E in her element. I'm lovin just looking at her lit up and purring away, this really is one hell of a nice ship . . . I'll soon be setting her up under the lights for some more space shots and action. Just finished a detailed inspection of her from top to bottom, front to back, she has three nit-picks two of which I will fix when I get the time but as far as I am concerned this vessel is ready for service :thumbsup.

Enterprise-on-Display-A.jpg

RW.

Last edited:
Good deal.
Grids look like my "artists proof" they sent as my replacement.

Why they couldnt make them all like that who knows.
Didn't seem so damn complicated to me anyways.

Treadwell,
That's some pretty heart breaking pictures of scuffs, chips, blotches. :cry

Here are a couple of my own issues with LE #92

Ugliest-Flaw-another-view-c.jpg

This is the real heartbreak for me, such sloppy workmanship. I suppose I can fix this up myself all I need is the right paint mix and some pretty nimble fingers. Looks real bad in this picture but not from a normal distance away, and of course without the glaring lights.

RW.

Good God, Artman! I don't mean to be insulting in any way, but I can't believe you kept this atrocity and did not return it to MR. This is outrageous for a piece costing over $1k! :angry

I just read ahead and realized that you did return it. Sorry for the rant. I'm glad you finally got a keeper!

Last edited:
Good God, Artman! I don't mean to be insulting in any way, but I can't believe you kept this atrocity and did not return it to MR. This is outrageous for a piece costing over $1k! :angry

I just read ahead and realized that you did return it. Sorry for the rant. I'm glad you finally got a keeper!

That makes two of us. I went through a bit of hell getting an MR model that represented what I expected for the money put out. Presently I am considering another purchase of a model but it too was made in the infamous factories of China. I don’t mind saying I'm hesitant to buy any models made there given the frustration I had with the big E offered by the now defunct Master Replica.

Because of that less than pleasant experience I have become much more interested in developing my own modeling skills, buying the proper tools and building my own things. I want the quality and craftsmanship that apparently these factory guys don’t offer. This is the way I see it, I put my very best foot forward when commissioned to do a portrait, the best linen, oil gesso, and paints, paints known for their good quality and longevity (ability to last many hundreds of years). Then I put all my talent and skill into doing the very best I am able to into the final work. Realistic or not, I expect nothing less from the models I acquire or build. I have no more patients or interest in anything built on the cheap or with cheap materials but charged as if one where getting the best.

I sound a little jaded but in fact I think the MR experience taught me a valuable lesson, quality control can’t be left in the hands of others!

RW

That makes two of us. I went through a bit of hell getting an MR model that represented what I expected for the money put out. Presently I am considering another purchase of a model but it too was made in the infamous factories of China. I don’t mind saying I'm hesitant to buy any models made there given the frustration I had with the big E offered by the now defunct Master Replica.

Because of that less than pleasant experience I have become much more interested in developing my own modeling skills, buying the proper tools and building my own things. I want the quality and craftsmanship that apparently these factory guys don’t offer. This is the way I see it, I put my very best foot forward when commissioned to do a portrait, the best linen, oil gesso, and paints, paints known for their good quality and longevity (ability to last many hundreds of years). Then I put all my talent and skill into doing the very best I am able to into the final work. Realistic or not, I expect nothing less from the models I acquire or build. I have no more patients or interest in anything built on the cheap or with cheap materials but charged as if one where getting the best.

I sound a little jaded but in fact I think the MR experience taught me a valuable lesson, quality control can’t be left in the hands of others!

RW

Artman, I agree 100%.

I, too, in desperation for the beloved TOS E fell into the clutches of MR recently, but via the Ebay way. I am frustrated and less than happy with the model. And it's a shame because I forked over about $2K including the custom display pedestal I made and the large acrylic case I ordered specially made.

Too bad these important replicas are not made in Japan at least. I'd be willing to pay the extra dough for a higher quality item. But chances are, as you say, there is no such animal when QC is left to others, no matter where it would be made.

Unfortunately for me, I have so very little experience with model building and airbrushing. Not to mention talent. I am now 52, married with teenage kids and I have neither the time nor the means (nor the dedication and drive, really) to dive into serious model-making and hone the skills required to satisfy my expectations; I'm the type of person who can get consumed with a task at hand and my lifestyle as it is simply does not allow anything like that.

I am not a huge collector of a lot of different things. I don't love Star Wars, for example. I just love TOS and I really wanted to concentrate a small, but quality, collection of things ST TOS. The MR E falls short of my desires for the $$$.

Have you been doing any model-making?

And post a couple of pics of your paintings if you don't mind.

I always had problems with Master Replicas. Long wait times for shipping, paint defects, electronics issues. I must have spent hours waiting on hold (Listening to that same music over and over :confused) just trying to find out if my orders had been processed. I knew MR wouldn't last long like that. Glad I didn't take a chance on getting their Enterprise.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back