New Martian helmet model and build

Yeah, He bought an industrial vacuum former previously used in the automotive industry at Volvo(which incidently is where I perform my dayjob).

Looks like Weta is using pressure forming for these helmets - that seems doable. Just wondering what material they use?

Attachments

• blow form 2.JPG
    blow form 2.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 510
  • blow form3.JPG
    blow form3.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 482
  • blow forming.JPG
    blow forming.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 501
That would my bet also. Was finally able to print the text so I can think about the dome.

Attachments

• IMG_2593_DxO.jpg
    IMG_2593_DxO.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 400
Coming together. All parts except the lights and dome are done. Finishing this will be a lot of fun.

Attachments

• IMG_2592_DxO.jpg
    IMG_2592_DxO.jpg
    922.5 KB · Views: 493
So, I felt inspired and went ahead to make a head harness thingy as well for my build. It's made to incorporate into my design without making any changes to the helmet itself and works pretty well I fell. I will make the files available for everybody who's bought my files on my Etsy and also here on my build-thread as soon as I've done one last testprint to iron out some last wrinkles.

Attachments

• Catia_img_1.JPG
    Catia_img_1.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 400
  • Catia_img_2.JPG
    Catia_img_2.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG-7805.JPG
    IMG-7805.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 406
  • IMG-7806.JPG
    IMG-7806.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 408
  • IMG-7807.JPG
    IMG-7807.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 415
Thank you so much for the offer but I think I will be able to print these with a 0.2mm nozzle. Need to work on the Chinese characters and print in PLA. This is PETG at 0.05mm layer height but PETG isn't that good for printing fine detail.
I can help you out with a print on a DLP resin printer. Located in Germany.

Looks like Weta is using pressure forming for these helmets - that seems doable. Just wondering what material they use?

A great benefit to blow molding the dome like WETA did, is that you end up with a clearer bubble. When you vacuform into or over a form, you can pick up surface imperfections from the slightest bit of dust to sanding scratches. Your form has to be absolutely perfect and clean. It's do-able, but inherently less clear.

A great benefit to blow molding the dome like WETA did, is that you end up with a clearer bubble. When you vacuform into or over a form, you can pick up surface imperfections from the slightest bit of dust to sanding scratches. Your form has to be absolutely perfect and clean. It's do-able, but inherently less clear.

I am building the setup to try. Only problem is find to 3-4mm (0.118-0.177in) PETG sheet 24x18 inches at a decent price? There will be quite a few trials I am sure. Can't efford to spend hundreds of dollars on this. The resellers seem to mark things up 50-100 fold from it cost to get the stuff from china.

You could also use acrylic sheet.
It's a bit more brittle than PETG, but the clarity is better. PETG has an ever-so-slight blue color to it, but it does vacuform really well.
So they both have their pros and cons.

You could also use acrylic sheet.
It's a bit more brittle than PETG, but the clarity is better. PETG has an ever-so-slight blue color to it, but it does vacuform really well.
So they both have their pros and cons.

Thanks will try it is half the price much more common in that size as picture frames. Maybe I get away with 3mm thickness

As it turns out, the most tricky part I find, is the Emergency oxygen-text. It's really hard to keep the detail while adding primer/filler/paint and try to make the print-layers invisible. I'd had to redo my latest build a couple of times by removing the paint by airbrushing acetone locally over the text. Quite a mess ;) Anyway, my advice is not add any radii to text-edge I guess.

What about printing the text area separately, placing it onto the helmet in a recessed area modeled into the main helmet and then just blending in the seams?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back