New Studio Scale X-Wing Revisited

Ohhhhh boy!

Lee

Ssssshhhhh, we better hide all our loot then & shut down the site immediately:facepalm:D

Lee, I have one of Rod's X-Wing kits mate & it's stunning, you won't be disappointed.
I would say he's one of the best casters out there, not to mention a damn fine painter to boot!.
Stu

I still want one of these and was in the process of getting one but circumstances changeed and I had to back out of the purchase (which I deeply regret having to do). However, I remain optimistic that I can get it in the future.

Ive talked to him a few times, tried to get an Xmas kit, but ordering for January, Rods a very honest straight guy, and i cant wait to get this baby, roll on January!

Lee

I have emailed and pm'd Rodolfo… no answer yet :(
don't worry spinner 44, his always busy but always gets back to you.i'm in regular contact with rodolfo at the mo regarding the speeder kit he is producing for me and as ralphee said his a straight up guy :)

Yes his Snowspeeder looks amazing, really wanted to get an X wing for Christmas, but Rod himself said it would be a push, so we opted for January, it'll be awesome to build something that i don't have to grind most of the detail off and replace it, really stoked as all i hear are top marks for this kit!

lee

Hi guys,
First of all, I want to thank all of you for your kind words, and say that I am sorry that there is people I haven't answered their mails yet, sorry Spinner44, I'll write you as soon as I post this.
2013 has been a very busy year. As I went solo and changed to Nexus-Models, at that very moment, at the same time I was about to released the 1/18th Snowspeeder kit, I received a commission from a very cool German collector for, yes believe it or not, a Red Squadron! The German collector wanted 6 X-Wings fully painted, and he also wanted them with lights in the control panels, R2 and engines. I knew I had to improve my electronics knowledge to make this happen.
When the X-Wing revisited was released, a good friend of mine, a computer programmer told me we could do amazing stuff with Arduino chips. So I have had the idea of motorized wings for a couple of years. So I decided to go on with Marc's commission but to include motorized wings to the electronic design.
It was quite a challenge, it has kept me months working like crazy and I must say Marc has been quite patient and has supported me all the way.
Just this week my pal and me converted all those wires you can see in the video coming out of the underside of the X-Wing to the protoboard to a very small board that fits inside the belly of the X-Wing. The board has the Arduino chip that controls the lights and wings by a program written by my pal Francisco, a Bluetooth antenna that allows you to control the model with a program that can be uploaded and managed with any Android cell phone.
I designed a new armature for the X-Wing that has what it needs for it to be connected to the two servos that move the foils.

A couple of months before I received this huge commission I accepted a commission from an American collector for me to build and paint one of those 3rd generation Pyro casts. I was very thrilled to receive that model and I agree with the collector that instead of trying to enhance the very curved and asymmetrical kit I would construct a new Pyro fuselage from scratch, based in the measures of the kit and calculations made from photographic pyro reference material.
That new Pyro revisited fuselage is almost ready, but I delayed its construction because I wanted to build it ready to receive the Servos and electronics to make it specially designed to be a fully electronic kit. It is very hard to retrofit the servos to the Hero Fuselage. Unfortunately, this meant that I have kept waiting Mike for almost a year, and I am very sorry for that but the first Pyro Revisited X-Wing model will be his, a Red 2 he wants. I hope that when he receives this fully operational kit he will forgive me for the all the waiting period.
We believed that the programing of the chip and the electrical flow would be easier to solve, but it proved to be quite a challenge, and one does not always have the time you would want to, to pour on this beautiful project. But finally it has payed of.

Having the model being managed by a program inside a chip, has many advantages. For example, the speed of the wings can be easily changed by just changing the amount of milliseconds delay per angle. In the video, the wings are moving with a 20 millisecond delay. For the final version of the program the wings will move slower.

Those are the reasons why I have been a little absent from the forum and why I sometimes forget to answer the mails after I read them.

The Pyro fuselage is what I really want to finish now. It's shape is just beautiful! I just went nuts for that resin cast I received!

Here are some pics of the work I've done on the Pyro fuselage, but I have not taken pics of how advanced is to this date:

Pyro Revisited X-Wing - nexus-models

The music from the video is from Genesis Climber Mospeada, a Japanese animation show from the 80's. That show had the coolest bikes, transformable to armor. The same ones from Robotech. I've got a really cool transformable bike toy that was released a few years ago, here is pic I took of it:

http://hikaru84.deviantart.com/art/Rand-Cyclone-Toynami-Beagle-2-396609234

Thanks guys.
Bests:
Rod

Last edited:
Wow Rod that work is just amazing!! The X-Wing is my favorite and one of the hardest to get right you are definitely doing a awesome job. Looking forward to seeing the final product :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back