Official Ghostbusters PKE Meter Prop

I went through the process with Customer Service and am getting my malfunctioning PKE replaced. I had to send in the broken one today and they notified me already that they're shipping out a replacement. I had a good experience with Matty customer service, which was nice. Although, I wish I could have held onto the malfunctioning one like @benhs1898.

I went through the process with Customer Service and am getting my malfunctioning PKE replaced. I had to send in the broken one today and they notified me already that they're shipping out a replacement. I had a good experience with Matty customer service, which was nice. Although, I wish I could have held onto the malfunctioning one like @benhs1898.

Haha, it's so strange right?

I called them for help, did you email?

It happened that way because I think there was miscommunication and they skipped the step where a tech person emails me.

Surely if they let one into the country they couldn't block another?

Could they?

They're most likely only holding it to determine the customs fee and tax. They might be especially slow if they can't figure out which tariff it goes under. For example, Swedish customs has had a big issue with ipads recently. They didn't know if they were classified as a computer or a "media player". The latter carries a huge customs charge (something like 30% excluding sales tax) while the former doesn't.

For anyone who hasn't tried this yet, sanding the "weathering" detail off is not a simple fix.

It turns out that the black, speckled paint is actually the TOP layer of paint followed by a solid layer of silver followed by the flat, black plastic.

So the silver detail actually is some of the black paint scraped off.

I found this out when I started on a small patch at the bottom of the handle. When I tried to sand the detail off it spread the silver area and at the center was the exposed black plastic.

Basically, if you want the detail off, you have to sand the entire thing.

While it's not very good news if you just want to get rid of it, the method they used shows attention to detail- they at least tried to mimic real weathering (even though the real PKE was plastic) instead of just dry brushing silver afterwards.

For anyone who hasn't tried this yet, sanding the "weathering" detail off is not a simple fix.

It turns out that the black, speckled paint is actually the TOP layer of paint followed by a solid layer of silver followed by the flat, black plastic.

So the silver detail actually is some of the black paint scraped off.

I found this out when I started on a small patch at the bottom of the handle. When I tried to sand the detail off it spread the silver area and at the center was the exposed black plastic.

Basically, if you want the detail off, you have to sand the entire thing.

though it still looks like just silver brushed weathering...weird.

Well, most likely they used too much solvent when they removed the black paint, making it look like brush strokes. That type of weathering requires either using very little solvent to gradually remove the top layer or careful removal by mechanical means, like scraping or pulling off the paint in flakes with masking tape.

So I'm loving my PKE meter, although I have a couple of minor quibbles.

1) I wish it made the proper noise from the film, ie, that sort of radio tuning noise. The beeping is also really loud, so some volume control would be nice.

2) Could it not start off at 'slow' when you switch it on, rather than some mid-range of scanning?

I agree that the sound fx could have been a bit better. Some of us have opened up the PKE and taped gauze and/or a coin over the speaker to muffle the sound.

I agree that the sound fx could have been a bit better. Some of us have opened up the PKE and taped gauze and/or a coin over the speaker to muffle the sound.

Ooooooh. <eyes screwdriver>

I figured I'd have to open it up eventually to replace the batteries. Speaking of which, what batteries are in there?

EDIT: Huh. I was not expecting the smooth backplate in there. But 3 AAAs, that's fine. I notice that 2 of the screws for the under backplate seem to hold in the wings too. Am I for some annoyance with putting those back in properly if I take it off?

Double EDIT: Well, that was fun, took it all apart, a dime fitted right in there over the speaker, didn't even need to tape it in. One of the nuts that holds the outer shell on fell out, and was rattling around in there, so I had to take it all apart again, and put it back together. And then I realised I'd left out the batteries... *sigh*

But yes, much quieter now. Still slightly piercing, but I can deal, I think.

Last edited:
Ooooooh. <eyes screwdriver>

I figured I'd have to open it up eventually to replace the batteries. Speaking of which, what batteries are in there?

EDIT: Huh. I was not expecting the smooth backplate in there. But 3 AAAs, that's fine. I notice that 2 of the screws for the under backplate seem to hold in the wings too. Am I for some annoyance with putting those back in properly if I take it off?

Double EDIT: Well, that was fun, took it all apart, a dime fitted right in there over the speaker, didn't even need to tape it in. One of the nuts that holds the outer shell on fell out, and was rattling around in there, so I had to take it all apart again, and put it back together. And then I realised I'd left out the batteries... *sigh*

But yes, much quieter now. Still slightly piercing, but I can deal, I think.

Glad it worked!! :)

Got the PKE Meter for Xmas. Very happy with it. It's a fun toy and prop together. Normally I don't care for gimmicky, functional props but this is an exception.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back