[Planetside 2] TR Heavy Assault Trooper

shintenzu

Incase you guys have not heard of this game, Planetside 2 is a MMOFPS in the most ideal form. Constant battles, no lobbies or waiting rooms, just vast terrain and constant battles. If you're interested in playing, check out www.Planetside2.com the game is absolutely free (with micro transactions of course, but all weapons can be purchased for free) and Here's a trailer if you guys are interested.

This is a reference image of the build I am working on, it is the Terran Republic Heavy Assault Trooper. However My Version is slightly modified from this as it contains some of the additional trimming of the Composite Armor. Also I will be using a different helmet.

heavyassault.jpg

Note that I am posting this thread partway through my build. I am releasing previously made WIP shots incrementally to keep this thread alive and to keep interest going. I will inform you once these updates are where I currently am.

Attachments

• heavyassault.jpg
    heavyassault.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 1,845
Last edited by a moderator:
So here is my general building process for my armor.

I use my custom made Pepakura files and then modified these templates to suite foam folding. As for sizing, I have a crude 3d model of my proportions that I model my suits around. I use 3ds max's unit set up, measure the suit and my body to be approximately my height + 1 inch for space. Then I use the 3ds MAX measurements to figure out the size scaling for pepakura.

stage4unfoldingthetempl.jpg

I print my templates of my school's large matte printer and mount them on mounting boards before cutting them out. I then use the mounted templates for my foam cuts.

stage6cuttingoutfoampie.jpg

Afterwards I glue the seams together by using contact cement. I found it creates far less mess and if you paint the glue on all parts first, wait a few minutes for it to dry, you can easily stick the pieces together instantly without having to hold them in place.

stage7pieceassembly.jpg

Here is the back of the same under armor.

stage8flakbackassembly.jpg

POST 3

Upper Torso Piece Completed

I finally Finished my upper torso model, here are some views of it
FRONT
stage11upperchestfrontv.jpg

BACK
stage12upperchestbackvi.jpg

SIDE
stage10upperchestanglev.jpg

BIRD's EYE
stage9upperchesttopview.jpg

Last edited:
More Pieces Completed

I have completed more of my armor, and am now starting to work out the rudimentary strapping system.

stage13torso.jpg

Very cool armor! I have not heard of this video game but looks cool...Will you be sharing these files?
Thanks! You really should check out the game.

Last edited:
First sizing test

After having completed the shoulder pads in addition, I decided to attempt my first sizing test. Was a complete success, no remakes required.

fittingtest.jpg

Dreadnought Helmet Remodeled

I've managed to complete the Dreadnought remodel still need to make some major adjustments for fitting purposes

drednoughthelmetremodel.jpg

Last edited:
Dreadnought Helmet Slide Mechanism

Due to the fact that the helmet does is not designed to be worn normally, I had to create a sort of visor effect. I took inspiration from Medieval knight helmets, and the Ironman helmet design to come up with this effect

helmetflipwear.jpg

Last edited:
Chain Blade

Finished my layered templates for the Chain Blade.

bladetemplate.jpg

Pepakura helmet

Been starting the pepakura build for my helmet because I grew bored of foam and wanted to try something new. First paper pepakura build, but so far so good. My biggest issue with the super glue I'm using is that it has the oh-so-annoying feature of melting the latex gloves onto the model.I think this helmet will fit just right, but I suppose it is too soon to tell.

xrjz.jpg

Last edited:
nice job on your armor looks like its going to be awesome. i really like the armors from that game and i thinking about doing light assault armor my self i love the jet packs they have that's why lol anyway good luck on you build

nice job on your armor looks like its going to be awesome. i really like the armors from that game and i thinking about doing light assault armor my self i love the jet packs they have that's why lol anyway good luck on you build

Thanks! You really should have a go with the light assault armor. The nice thing about PS2 is that alot of the innder armors are interchangeable between all classes cept max and infil. I plan to make a medic, engineer, and LA in the future.

Wow really cool build! I will be following this thread. Finally someone is doing Planetside 2 costumes! I think that game is full of great models waiting to be replicated :D

Followed the Reddit link over. Progress so far looks badass and I'm excited to see the completed the version. As a fellow TR this is especially interesting.

Are you going to make a weapon besides the chain knife to go with your costume? If so you gotta make the T7MCG. Most distinctive TR weapon there is. I also recommend making the underslung version
.350px-MiniChaingun.pngPlanetside-2-minigun-man-610x239.jpgqCh8RKm.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back