Props lost or destroyed

Didn't they loose a jaws in the ocean, while filming?
I am curious. What happened to the original shark props used to make jaws? Did one really get lost in the ocean?
I'd always heard that the one that sank in the ocean was retrieved by a dive team hired by production.

I don’t know if this was previously mentioned (can’t read all 18 pages right now, sorry!) but every Michael Myers mask from Halloween 1 & 2, except for the H1/2 Hero mask, have been lost or destroyed. It was rumored that the Stunt masks may be in a crew members estate but it was never confirmed, and judging by the condition the H1/2 hero is in, it is very likely the masks have long since rotten.

Not entirely true....

A number of masks from Halloween 4 have ended up in various hands including one in the collection of Michael-Myers. net member Crofader.

I believe Don Shanks (actor how played Michael in Halloween 5) still owns the hero H5 mask, and had it restored several years back.

The Halloween 6 masks also found their ways into collector hands, though which ones to whom I'm unsure. I know that Justin Mabry's H6 (and in turn Terry Lambert's Raining Red, which he recasted from Justin's H6) are both cast from the movie mask. The Trick or Treat Studios H6, being from Justin's H6 mold also shares this lineage.

No idea whatever happened to the H20 masks, though I know the mold resides with Ben Fallaize of Father Phantom Studios, and he sells copies from it. Incidentally, somebody had kept one single Halloween 6 mask and it was used in the opening kill.

No idea what happened to the Resurrection masks.

The various masks used in the Rob Zombie remakes were split up among the actors and director. I know Tyler Mane has the escape mask, one of the RZH1 masks, the Exposed mask from the sequel, among some other bits and ends such one of the pairs of the boots and a couple of the knives. Malcolm McDowell also has one of the screenused masks from the first movie as does Rob Zombie. And I believe Daeg Faerch took home the Collegeville Clown mask.

Other odds and ends such as the various knives have ended up in fan collector's hands. I know that Jack Norman has an extensive collection of props and costumes from the two movies.

Do any of the original metal armatures and latex skins still survive from the 1993 Jurassic Park?
Yes. After JP///, leftover animatronics and production made teeth/claws/etc were taken apart and reskinned in more durable skins and either sold off or displayed at the Stan Winston Studio shop. Following the death of Stan in 2008, Matt Winston closed the effects studio and sold off the remaining animatronics in the studio collection to private collectors. One of the collectors who picked up some of the most important items is the guys over at The Scare Factory in Columbus, Ohio. Among their collection is all three T. rex heads from the first 3 movies, the Spinosaurus head from the third movie, the Brachiosaurus head from the first movie, and several complete Raptors. I recall seeing a walk through video posted from one of their public showings of the collection and the cinematic history in their warehouse is unbelievable.

I also know that director Peter Jackson has at least one complete Raptor animatronic from the third movie in his private collection, as well as the back up T. rex maquette for The Lost World: Jurassic Park. Many of the odds bits and ends have ended up in fan collector hands or are occasionally sold off by Universal in promotions.

It's known that all of the Kauai built sets for the first movie were destroyed by Hurricane Iniki, however here's a regrettable bit of history from my favorite franchise that has been lost to the ages. The Worker Village constructed for 1997's The Lost World: Jurassic Park was redressed as the administrative building lobby for the 2001 Jurassic Park ///. It was then left to rot, unmaintained on the Universal Studios backlot. In 2005, its view from the tram tour was blocked by the plane crash set from Spielberg's War of the Worlds. It has slowly been decaying since until the Autumn of 2018 when it was dismantled completely. I've heard that it's now a picnic area for employees.

Worker Village set when it was part of the tram tour (c. 1997 - 2000):
MRW3GuV.jpg

Set dressed for Jurassic Park /// (2001):
VzqAuUx.jpg

Completely collapsed sitting on the backlot (June, 2018):
GMvaE0g.jpg

Dismantled (November, 2018):
g6n6xBs.png

One of the Jeeps from the first Jurassic Park movie didn't have much of a happy ending itself. Jeep 10 (Muldoon's Jeep, used in the famous T. rex chase) was displayed at Universal Studios Hollywood, until the interior dry rotted away to the point of being an eyesore. It was thusly unceremoniously flipped over and used as a prop in a Universal Studios Orlando Halloween Horror Nights several years back, before being scrapped. :(
UJ0yb90.jpg

9LDwwwg.jpg

Last edited:
Not entirely true....

A number of masks from Halloween 4 have ended up in various hands including one in the collection of Michael-Myers. net member Crofader.

I believe Don Shanks (actor how played Michael in Halloween 5) still owns the hero H5 mask, and had it restored several years back.

The Halloween 6 masks also found their ways into collector hands, though which ones to whom I'm unsure. I know that Justin Mabry's H6 (and in turn Terry Lambert's Raining Red, which he recasted from Justin's H6) are both cast from the movie mask. The Trick or Treat Studios H6, being from Justin's H6 mold also shares this lineage.

No idea whatever happened to the H20 masks, though I know the mold resides with Ben Fallaize of Father Phantom Studios, and he sells copies from it. Incidentally, somebody had kept one single Halloween 6 mask and it was used in the opening kill.

No idea what happened to the Resurrection masks.

The various masks used in the Rob Zombie remakes were split up among the actors and director. I know Tyler Mane has the escape mask, one of the RZH1 masks, the Exposed mask from the sequel, among some other bits and ends such one of the pairs of the boots and a couple of the knives. Malcolm McDowell also has one of the screenused masks from the first movie as does Rob Zombie. And I believe Daeg Faerch took home the Collegeville Clown mask. Akkad has an H1 and exposed H2.

Other odds and ends such as the various knives have ended up in fan collector's hands. I know that Jack Norman has an extensive collection of props and costumes from the two movies.

Again, I was referencing only the masks from H1 and H2. If we want to expand past the first two, sure.

Crofader has the H4 stunt mask. The hero is lost. An H4 mask showed up on the set of h6 and ended up in the hands of Darren Hughes. Somewhere along the way it lost its hair.

Don Shank’s has the H5 stunt. The H5 hero rotted away in Akkad’s office. Sean Clark has a screen used H5 as well as Darren Hughes.

H6 is a nightmare. Lots of MMI pulls made their way out. Nikos Dresios (NAG) has a screen used copy, and one is on display somewhere. Darren Hughes has one as well. Beyond that.. no clue.

Sean Clark, Darren Hughes, and Paul Winters all own KNB H20s. Darren and Sean have Winston H20s and Sean Clark also has the H6 used in H20. Ben Fallaize does not have an original H20 mold, it was recasted and retooled from an SSN H20.

H8.. who cares, right? Hahaha
It’s a bit weird as cinema secrets made 15 masks for the film, and only used 5. Those ten that weren’t screen used are out there, and look identical to screen used copies so it’s hard to keep track. One sold at auction. Darren Hughes has one. Sean Clark has one.

RZ.. Rob owns A LOT of masks, Tyler has an H1&2 and pumpkin escape mask. Daeg supposedly has a clean mask and the clown. Malcolm sold his mask to a pawn shop and is in the hands of a German collector (and known scammer) named Dirk.

H18, Chris Nelson has a copy, Nick Castle has a copy, and Ryan Turek has a copy. Possibly two. Those are all I know of.

I have no idea about coveralls, boots, knives, or any other props. I just keep track of the masks as best as I can in case a rainy day ever comes along and they decide to sell. :)

Last edited:
Again, I was referencing only the masks from H1 and H2.

Crofader has the H4 stunt mask. The hero is lost. An H4 mask showed up on the set of h6 and ended up in the hands of Darren Roberts. Somewhere along the way it lost its hair.

Don Shank’s has the H5 stunt. The H5 hero rotted away in Akkad’s office. Sean Clark has a screen used H5 as well.

H6 is a nightmare. Lots of MMI pulls made their way out. Nikos Dresios (NAG) has a screen used copy, and one is one display somewhere. Beyond that.. no clue.

One of the KNB H20’s is in the collection of a guy named Paul Winters and Sean Clark has another.
Sean Clark also has the H6 used in H20 and a Winston H20. Ben Fallaize does not have an original H20 mold, it was recasted and retooled from an SSN H20.

H8.. who cares, right? It’s a bit weird as cinema secrets made 15 masks for the film, and only used 5. Those ten that weren’t screen used are out there, and look identical to screen used copies so it’s hard to keep track. One sold at auction. Darren Roberts has one. Sean Clark has one.

RZ.. Rob owns A LOT of masks, Tyler has an H1&2 and pumpkin. Daeg supposedly has a clean mask and the clown. Malcolm sold his mask to a pawn shop and is in the hands of a German collector (and known scammer) named Dirk.

H18, Chris Nelson has a copy, Nick Castle has a copy, and Ryan Turek has a copy. Possibly two. Those are all I know of.
Ah, my mistake. I'm not 100% versed in who has which copies.

Ah, my mistake. I'm not 100% versed in who has which copies.

Don’t mean to come across as a know-it-all but the Halloween Franchise is my Star Wars. Instead of counting rivets or lightsabers, I keep track of the masks, who sculpted them, who has molds, where did they go, etc etc hahaha

Again, I was referencing only the masks from H1 and H2. If we want to expand past the first two, sure.

Crofader has the H4 stunt mask. The hero is lost. An H4 mask showed up on the set of h6 and ended up in the hands of Darren Hughes. Somewhere along the way it lost its hair.

Don Shank’s has the H5 stunt. The H5 hero rotted away in Akkad’s office. Sean Clark has a screen used H5 as well as Darren Hughes.

H6 is a nightmare. Lots of MMI pulls made their way out. Nikos Dresios (NAG) has a screen used copy, and one is on display somewhere. Darren Hughes has one as well. Beyond that.. no clue.

Sean Clark, Darren Hughes, and Paul Winters all own KNB H20s. Darren and Sean have Winston H20s and Sean Clark also has the H6 used in H20. Ben Fallaize does not have an original H20 mold, it was recasted and retooled from an SSN H20.

H8.. who cares, right? Hahaha
It’s a bit weird as cinema secrets made 15 masks for the film, and only used 5. Those ten that weren’t screen used are out there, and look identical to screen used copies so it’s hard to keep track. One sold at auction. Darren Hughes has one. Sean Clark has one.

RZ.. Rob owns A LOT of masks, Tyler has an H1&2 and pumpkin escape mask. Daeg supposedly has a clean mask and the clown. Malcolm sold his mask to a pawn shop and is in the hands of a German collector (and known scammer) named Dirk.

I have no idea about coveralls, boots, knives, or any other props. I just keep track of the masks as best as I can in case a rainy day ever comes along and they decide to sell. :)

Correction. The H5 Sean Clark has is not screen used but a pull production made and finished later. Same with Darren's H5

Correction. The H5 Sean Clark has is not screen used but a pull production made and finished later. Same with Darren's H5

Ah, I didn’t know about Darren’s, thanks for the heads up! Sean said in an interview on YouTube that the original plan was for them to cast and finish one after filming, but Greg happened to have a screen used one in his garage, so he offered that instead. That’s Sean’s story, anyways.

Ah, I didn’t know about Darren’s, thanks for the heads up! Sean said in an interview on YouTube that the original plan was for them to cast and finish one after filming, but Greg happened to have a screen used one in his garage, so he offered that instead. That’s Sean’s story, anyways.

They don't have the added on nose piece or any sign they use to have them. Every mask on screen did. Knowing about the props is half the battle!

My own contribution to this, answering posts from almost a decade ago...
Have any props that have been stolen ever turn up?
The most impressive example I know is the Pre-Pro 2 Boba Fett costume that was slated for use in Empire, that was the costume that was sent to Kenner for action figure reference (hence the figure having the mismatched red and yellow gauntlets), that had the practical working flamer... and that disappeared on tour not long before filming started. Years later, the helmet and rocketpack turned up at auction and someone who knew what they were and knew that they'd been stolen back in '79 contacted the seller, who hand't realized he had "hot" items, and it all eventually got sorted out. I can't remember where they ended up. My brain is saying Gary Kurtz, and I'm going to bed in a minute, so am not going to go over to TDH to refresh my memory, but the full story is over there.
luckily these days there are some museums that are saving these works of art. Like the Sci-fi museum in seattle.
To be fair, the Sci-Fi Museum -- now the Museum of Popular Culture, or MoPOP -- is basically Paul Allen's way to let the public see a portion of his collection. Other costumes he has are on rotating display in the lobby of the nearby Cinerama theater (which he also saved from demolition and restored to its '60s splendour). I have no problem with any of this, I should note, and I'm going to miss him.
I watched the making of 2010 where it was told that Kubrick did destroy many of the props, most notably the Discovery and all her blueprints were destroyed by Kubrick necessitating the construction of a whole new Discovery prop being made for 2010.
A whole new horribly inaccurate Discovery. The errors are painful, especially after Peter Hyams made a point in a production interview of mentioning one of the few "errors" in 2001 (the pureéd food Dr. Floyd was eating in the moon shuttle being pulled back down its straw, he said, by gravity -- never mind pressure differential would cause the same thing) and went on and on about how 2010 was going to be painstakingly free of such technical goofs...

...And then had polished linoleum replace the velcro "Grip-Shoe" floor panels in the pod bay, which none of the actors even bothered to stand or walk on, while also leaning on windowsills and the testing bench -- which wouldn't happen in microgravity. Plus the set errors. Plus the horrible step backward that was the spacesuits, as compared to 2001's. And also the Discovery's emergency airlock being shifted back to the sphere's centerline so the Leonov could link directly across to it. Et cetera.

On a thread-related note... The remaining un-used Discovery space suit -- the blue one... I know, by a convoluted and not entirely known journey, it ended up being used on the first season Babylon 5 episode "Babylon Squared". Does anyone know where it went after that?

Just Thought I'd chime in here.....Firstly, Jackson Rupert is right about one thing, I do not own the original Stan Winston Molds. Very little is known about what Stan's procedure was with molds after production. The reality is, it's probably dust. In H20, there were two masks seen on screen. The Hero (with the neck extension) and the Stunt mask. Darren has the Hero, and the Stunt mask is with a private collector. The one Sean Clarke has (I believe) is a production made mask, but not used.

Just Thought I'd chime in here.....Firstly, Jackson Rupert is right about one thing, I do not own the original Stan Winston Molds. Very little is known about what Stan's procedure was with molds after production. The reality is, it's probably dust. In H20, there were two masks seen on screen. The Hero (with the neck extension) and the Stunt mask. Darren has the Hero, and the Stunt mask is with a private collector. The one Sean Clarke has (I believe) is a production made mask, but not used.

Hey Ben. Thanks for clarifying some of the H20 stuff.

I’d like to hope that the molds are somewhere out there in storage, waiting to be found, but it doesn’t seem super likely. I’ve asked a few contacts who worked at Stan’s around that time and none of them could give me a solid answer on whether the molds were trashed, or if not, where they went. I do often wonder about all the various molds and just how many of them could be out there sitting in a workshop or storage unit. I guess those could count towards the “lost or destroyed” part of the thread. At this point we should just make a new thread about Halloween stuff. Didn’t mean to clog up this thread by simply mentioning the H1/2 masks.

Kind of off-topic, but vaguely connected maybe...and it's worth a shout I hope given the extensive community here. The London Film Museum used to be on the South Bank of the Thames, I visited it around 2011-2012 I think. They had a lot of cool stuff, most of them I reckon were replicas though. Now the South Bank site has closed down shortly after my visit (not responsible) and I was expecting it to reopen elsewhere but it never did. All they have now is a permanent Bond Cars exhibit.
Does anyone know what original stuff they had and where they took all the stuff? They had some pretty big pieces like an alien queen and some originals like Lambert's Highlander costume or a Mr Bean attire.

Pretty sure Lambert's Highlander costume (at least the one he wore in the battle with the Frasiers) is at the Museum of Popular Culture in Seattle. They also have Ramirez's costume. No idea if these are Hero or Stunt pieces, though.

Pretty sure Lambert's Highlander costume (at least the one he wore in the battle with the Frasiers) is at the Museum of Popular Culture in Seattle. They also have Ramirez's costume. No idea if these are Hero or Stunt pieces, though.
Interesting. This is the exact same one that was in the LFM:

Dose anyone know what ever happened to the truck (or more specially, the green goblin face) from Maximum Overdrive?

When I was a kid, my neighbour worked for a film lighting company (Lee Lighting in West London). He gave me a one of those flying men from the 1980 Flash Gordon film, I guessed used as a background or effects shot. From memory it was a little over two feet tall and was foam rubber over a metal armature. It had a separately mould plastic helmet but no wings. It had been strapped to the front of a truck for a couple of years as a mascot and so was in rough shape. I threw it away when I lost interest in it, but now wish I still had it.

Wasn’t there a story a few years ago about the original DeathStar model from ANH being lost, but then turned up as a trash bin in Vegas?

Guz Lopez, who has a hugh collection of iconic Star Wars props (but also toys etc), owns it.

Do you know of an original prop that has been lost or destroyed forever? The main one that comes to my mind is the large alien captain prop in Alien that a crazy person burnt up years ago. What original prop do you know of that has been lost forever?
I would love to see the original Bruce Shark from Jaws, or even seeing the original Orca boat. But sadly time wasn’t kind for both of those two...:(

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back