Rebel Trooper Helmet

Combox progress - hand carved the lines and filled the ends..

IMG_2938_zps5updmhdi.jpg

IMG_2942_zpsxfuv9xnj.jpg

Might have this done by the end of the weekend!

I found a snap cap that's very close to the dishwasher thermostat piece on the combox and thought I use two allen heads for the buttons with some Bondo work! I bent the snap tangs down to give the epoxy a little something to grab on to. It's coming along

IMG_2954_zpsqhzmwifa.jpg

IMG_2957_zpsxes3cvjx.jpg

Needs some spot putty, more sanding, and more primer, but it's working out!

IMG_2958_zps5zf1m0q1.jpg

I haven't worked on this in quite some time, but I gave it a go Saturday and Sunday! My master carpenter buddy loaned me a really cool ball end carving motor and a table belt sander. So I radiuses the backside to a close contour of the helmet and then bored out the backside of the radio box, taped off the helmet, mixed up some Bondo, added the Bodo and pressed it in place! Messy, but it worked pretty well!

IMG_4144_zpspgsk0nyt.jpg

After the first round of sanding - the pre fit

IMG_4145_zpsvqgxze30.jpg

IMG_4146_zpsxg8zqfqo.jpg

IMG_4147_zpsa8lavkuj.jpg

IMG_4148_zpsbmcbbwnd.jpg

Ugly backside

IMG_4149_zpshmbbnjhg.jpg

Added lightweight filler to fill the gaps so it's really easy to sand

IMG_4150_zpspwc4ixtc.jpg

IMG_4151_zpsmffrthuy.jpg

I'll sand it up today and see where I'm at!

The lightweight filler didn't work, so back to Bondo I went

IMG_4264_zpsmp0iins8.jpg

Worked on the radio detail - dishwasher thermostat piece. I used Manny from Portumac Prop Studio's pieces and filed off the nipples. I think once painted up this will do the job!

IMG_4174_zpszevx3fzf.jpg

IMG_4176_zpsytdgsu6f.jpg

Unscathed helmet after all the Bondo casts LOL

IMG_4173_zpsaulndbbz.jpg

Made some more progress on the radio box details - I love Bondo!

IMG_4414_zpsdjxiveou.jpg

Happy with the box and how it fits to the helmet

IMG_4415_zpstwxs49kt.jpg

Ugly from black caulking but it starting to look like a radio box LOL

IMG_4417_zpswqiaxrvo.jpg

__0A495A87-9322-4BC7-9763-67F5C029861B_zps9vex4q56.jpg

Need to epoxy the allen heads and caulk the details in a few more times. I floated the allen heads and the disc off the box in an attempt to have them look more "vac-formed", we'll see how this turns out....

Finally got the radio box finished up and painted white after drilling and chamfering the hole for the mounting screw. Need to shoot it with clear and mount it!

IMG_5165_zps89ticqfr.jpg

The rear swoop had a little run, so I sanded it out and re-shot it white. I decided to re-clear the whole helmet before assembly

IMG_5164_zpsqqhshtq8.jpg

Got the large rear swoop glossed today and it turned out perfect! Hit the radio box and the front pre visor too. My satin white rattle can was sputtering on my test spray so I need to get more. Noway am I risking this getting messed up again! Here so progress pics!

IMG_5284_zpsqu7vgiat.jpg

IMG_5285_zpsyqsjb92j.jpg

IMG_5286_zpsnrqso6ry.jpg

All I need to do is reshoot the actual helmet, gloss coat, and assemble. I decided to pick up some original type yellow foam and do the star pattern instead of the hard hat liner I originally tried. More accurate!

I really like your com-box!

One thing: The original helmets was put together in Britain in the 1970s, which means the screws would have been slot-headed screws rather than Philips-heads. For a "what the helmet should have looked like"-build that won't matter of course.

One thing: The original helmets was put together in Britain in the 1970s, which means the screws would have been slot-headed screws rather than Philips-heads. For a "what the helmet should have looked like"-build that won't matter of course.

Thanks you sir! Point well taken, I have this on the final assembly like of items to pick up!

I’m out of town tomorrow through Sunday, I’ll sand it up Monday and see what I have to do. New rule - wait one week between coats!

Found the correct slotted screws for the assembly. I'm happy with how the radio box came out!

IMG_0053_zpsidlmpied.jpg

If I can get the main helmet paint to come out as nice as the rest of the parts, this helmet will be worth all the effort. I'll shoot this a second coat when I get home from work today, fingers crossed!

IMG_0052_zpsiuf8d2ft.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back