Shazam! Fury of the Gods

...so it had a dismal opening weekend. Estimated to draw $35 million, only made $30.5 million. We will have to see how this week goes, but most films have ~ 50% revenue drop-off after the first week. So I would expect ~ $15-$20 million tops for week 2. I'm not sure it will top $100 million U.S. during its run.

And yet again, doing our movie math:
In general, U.S. theaters keep ~50% of the ticket revenue overall. They are REALLY relying on $6 cokes, $5 candy bars, and $9 popcorn for profit.
The film studio/distributor gets the rest, and it's usually a graded scale. The longer the theater shows the film, the more % ticket sales they get to keep and the less goes to the production company. Overseas, it's a bit different.

But as a rule of thumb, a studio needs to make TWICE as much at the box office as the film cost to make AND promote, in order to "break even."
Even assuming that Shazam 2 ONLY cost $100 million USD to make, and let's be conservative with a $50 million media promotion, it's total "cost" is $150 million. Which means it has to bring in $300 million (twice its $150 million overall cost). TO BREAK EVEN. Anything less is a loss.

You can only rely on streaming and digital download for so much extra revenue. Maybe in the $10s of millions.

Which is why, when a big studio mega-action film brings in $500 million and we think, "Hey, that's great!" It could be $300 million in production and promotion costs, so they STILL haven't broke even yet until it hits $600 million.

No matter how good the film was, it has a large portion of the audience that just didn't care to see it because of the BTS issues. Why bother spending the time when, no matter what happens, anything set up will go no further & give ZERO payoff?

It's like catching up on a series after it's been cancelled without an 'ending'.

...so it had a dismal opening weekend. Estimated to draw $35 million, only made $30.5 million. We will have to see how this week goes, but most films have ~ 50% revenue drop-off after the first week. So I would expect ~ $15-$20 million tops for week 2. I'm not sure it will top $100 million U.S. during its run.

And yet again, doing our movie math:
In general, U.S. theaters keep ~50% of the ticket revenue overall. They are REALLY relying on $6 cokes, $5 candy bars, and $9 popcorn for profit.
The film studio/distributor gets the rest, and it's usually a graded scale. The longer the theater shows the film, the more % ticket sales they get to keep and the less goes to the production company. Overseas, it's a bit different.

But as a rule of thumb, a studio needs to make TWICE as much at the box office as the film cost to make AND promote, in order to "break even."
Even assuming that Shazam 2 ONLY cost $100 million USD to make, and let's be conservative with a $50 million media promotion, it's total "cost" is $150 million. Which means it has to bring in $300 million (twice its $150 million overall cost). TO BREAK EVEN. Anything less is a loss.

You can only rely on streaming and digital download for so much extra revenue. Maybe in the $10s of millions.

Which is why, when a big studio mega-action film brings in $500 million and we think, "Hey, that's great!" It could be $300 million in production and promotion costs, so they STILL haven't broke even yet until it hits $600 million.

Well, I was there for the first Friday show with family. Popcorn, burgers, beer, Dots, slushies, I did my part.

The theatre was eeeemmmmpppttyyyy. Maybe 15-20% capacity.

Remember, this was the Friday of Spring Break, so, kids out o school.

I think DCs recent changes has kneecapped their potential. When they start anew, they have to build up momentum all over again.

FB_IMG_1679390092999.jpg

So do we all agree that Dwayne "The Deuchbag" Johnson torpedoed this movie so that it didn't interfere with his ego?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back