Star Wars Outlaws (video game)

Needing an internet connection is, unfortunately, par for course these days for pretty much all games these days, both single-player and multi-player. I don't remember the last time that I actually played a game that I didn't have to be online to play. The only difference between Outlaws and others is that you can only play it using the Ubisoft launcher/store app. CDPR games give you the choice of GOG or Steam depending on where you bought it, but you still have to be online regardless. But the games themselves are played through your computer and don't require an internet connection once it's started and I strongly suspect that this would be the case for Outlaws as well.
GoG is DRM free. All you need the Internet for is to download the EXE. The you should be good to go. (At least for most games. Newer games will probably have the same problem.)

Needing an internet connection is, unfortunately, par for course these days for pretty much all games these days, both single-player and multi-player. I don't remember the last time that I actually played a game that I didn't have to be online to play. The only difference between Outlaws and others is that you can only play it using the Ubisoft launcher/store app. CDPR games give you the choice of GOG or Steam depending on where you bought it, but you still have to be online regardless. But the games themselves are played through your computer and don't require an internet connection once it's started and I strongly suspect that this would be the case for Outlaws as well.
What are you do mean? You can install and play single player games without an internet connection on console and can technically install GOG games on PC as long as you have the offline installer files somewhere.

Most console games can be played offline, especially single player.
For PC, it depends on DRM. Some games like Kingdom hearts need to be online all the time to confirm legitimacy while steam needs to connect to servers every 30 days iirc. GOG is DRM free so once you install the game, you are good to go. If you download the offline installers, you can install and play the game completely offline.

For most games, an online connection may be needed for the initial installation but can be played offline after and quite a few games have all the content on the disc so can be played without an internet connection (can confirm with Witcher 3 GotY version for example since physical is one of the few ways to play a game on a previous patch version).

What are you do mean? You can install and play single player games without an internet connection on console and can technically install GOG games on PC as long as you have the offline installer files somewhere.

Most console games can be played offline, especially single player.
For PC, it depends on DRM. Some games like Kingdom hearts need to be online all the time to confirm legitimacy while steam needs to connect to servers every 30 days iirc. GOG is DRM free so once you install the game, you are good to go. If you download the offline installers, you can install and play the game completely offline.

For most games, an online connection may be needed for the initial installation but can be played offline after and quite a few games have all the content on the disc so can be played without an internet connection (can confirm with Witcher 3 GotY version for example since physical is one of the few ways to play a game on a previous patch version).
When I played Wticher3 on PC the game would always launch the GOG app first which most definitely requires an internet connection. While I'm sure that I could continue to play if my internet connection went down in the middle of the game, I'm also fairly certain that I couldn't start the game if my internet connection was down. And I most definitely can't play Cyberpunk without an internet connect since I got it on Steam, I need to start Steam in order to play and Steam requires an internet conneciton.

You can always crack games you have bought, I know a lot of people who crack legit software they own so they don't have to worry about dropped internet connection screwing them over for work.

When I played Wticher3 on PC the game would always launch the GOG app first which most definitely requires an internet connection. While I'm sure that I could continue to play if my internet connection went down in the middle of the game, I'm also fairly certain that I couldn't start the game if my internet connection was down. And I most definitely can't play Cyberpunk without an internet connect since I got it on Steam, I need to start Steam in order to play and Steam requires an internet conneciton.
Two things about this.

1. For GOG, while you can run everything through Galaxy (or whatever their front-end software is), you can also just run them straight from the executable and it'll skip Galaxy altogether, I believe. The key here is that, I believe, the games don't actually check to see if you're running Galaxy, nor look for some online handshake.

2. For Steam, while you often (but don't always) need the front end software to run a program, you can run Steam in Offline Mode and still play many games.

Put another way, for a lot of these games you run through this or that software platform, the platform is often not truly necessary (as much as it is "convenient"), insofar as the game's main executable will still run even if the platform software isn't running. And many games don't require an online connection because, even if you're running through the platform, you can still run the game even if the platform can't connect online.

The next time you want to see if a game requires you to either use the front-end software or be connected online, try the following:

A. Navigate to the game's install directory, and run the main executable. If the game doesn't automatically boot up the front end platform, it doesn't require that nor does it require an online connection.

B. If the game boots up the platform to run, close the game, then switch the platform to "offline mode" (or whatever the equivalent is for the platform), and try to run it again. If it runs fine, you don't need an internet connection, but you do need the platform.

Well several points.

1. This only applies to PC. Console is a different issue since there is still physical discs you can download the game from (although this doesnt apply if there is stuff like Day one patches). One of the issues I personally have with PC, notably steam.

2. For GOG, getting the initial files requires an internet connection (GOG Galaxy or Storefront) but once the game is installed on your game, you do not need an internet connection to play. You are likely playing by first opening GOG Galaxy but you can just find the game installed on your PC and load from there with no issue. For a truly independent experience, you can also download the backup installers (provided by GOG Galaxy under extras or on the storefront) which are the files to install the game on your PC. As long as you have those files, even if GOG goes down in the future, you can reinstall Witcher 3 or any other GOG games and play them without an internet connection (one of the major benefits of GOG imo).

3. For Steam, you can also play the games installed through steam directly without opening the client on your PC and thus can play without an internet connection. Steam technically has an offline setting which you can activate to play your games installed on your PC offline. The problem with Steam is that the client itself is DRM so needs to confirm legitimacy with the servers every 30 days iirc. So you need to reconnect with Steam servers (online connection) every 30 days to keep playing your single player games. However, you can still play the games completely offline after that confirmation.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back