Star Wars sequel trilogy.

This actually came up with a buddy of mine last night too.

Every time we tried to play the story backwards to a point to fix things, it required even more of a rewind. As much as I'd love to say "if they had just changed x to y... the movies could have worked", we just didn't see a good answer besides "they just shouldn't have been made". In retrospect, nothing about the stories seem salvageable. Total loss.

Though I hope to see more out of Ridley and Boyega. I liked them as actors, and feel bad their major world debuts were the sequels.

This actually came up with a buddy of mine last night too.

Every time we tried to play the story backwards to a point to fix things, it required even more of a rewind. As much as I'd love to say "if they had just changed x to y... the movies could have worked", we just didn't see a good answer besides "they just shouldn't have been made". In retrospect, nothing about the stories seem salvageable. Total loss.

Though I hope to see more out of Ridley and Boyega. I liked them as actors, and feel bad their major world debuts were the sequels.
100% agree

I bought Luke in Last Jedi cuz that’s life…even the best of us can spiral. And it’s interesting that he did. Luke was the only thing I liked about that movie.

I was even all in on the idea floating around that we were gonna see that Luke got sucked into the dark side from that moment he attacked Vader in Jedi… and in the force awakens he’d be a dark Jedi Rey had to bring back…

All that said I would have preferred a version where we saw them all together… and things weren’t terrible… I just get what they were going for and thought it interesting

The way they’re now leaning into boring Jedi drives me nuts. Filoni is just terrible… seems like a good fun guy, I just wish his shows felt that way!

Only Andor “understood the assignment”

My only main complaint with Sequel Luke is that he acted like a jerk who just didn't care, even when his family and friends were at risk. That's just not Luke Skywalker, no matter how jaded and depressed he might be. I think if they had had good writers, they could have done it in a way that would have made sense. I think they should have gotten rid of the "temple" attack back story and came up with another reason that Luke was disillusioned, like maybe the New Republic being complacent and not listening to his and Leia's warnings. I mean we all know they intentionally wanted to wipe the OG characters so the new ones would do everything that Luke was intended to do, but still.

This is a generational thing, and we've already seen how it plays out. "Old" Star Wars fans dislike the "New" Star Wars stuff, but the kids who grew up with it friggin' love it. It happened with the PT, it'll happen with the ST.

Now, I think there are things that you can point to with the PT that are materially different -- namely them being the artistic result of one man's (flawed) vision -- but the PT itself is...not good. It's gorgeous, but deeply, deeply flawed. I could go into detail, but we did that 20 years ago and then for 10 years more afterwards.

With the ST, I think it is, again, deeply flawed, albeit in different ways. There's one movie in there that I love (although, it too is flawed), and one movie that I thought was okish, and one movie that I think makes for a good rollercoaster ride but has a crap story. There are some fantastic actors in these films playing characters who could become interesting, but they were badly served by no real central vision for a story, other than "And then we make another Star Wars trilogy, and...uh....they rhyme or whatever."

Whereas the problem with the PT was that there were some good ideas but not enough people telling George "No, that's dumb and we aren't doing it," the ST's problems are much deeper and more inherent in the production structure. The lack of a plan, the intention to hand it off to different directors, each of whom would apparently have full control to do their own thing, it all led up to a trilogy that feels haphazard and unfocused and not really like a trilogy at all except for the fact that we declare it so. Narratively, it's a mess, and because unlike the PT, there's no big gap between the films for storytelling, it's really hard to retroactively rehabilitate it by doing something like Clone Wars but for the ST.

I've rewatched TFA a couple times. I've rewatched TLJ several. I've thus far literally only seen TROS once in the theater, and left it saying "That was great! I hated it!" And that about sums up my attitude towards the movie: great ride, crap story.

All that aside, I've thoroughly enjoyed pretty much everything else that's come out since. Mandalorian, Boba Fett, Obi-Wan, Andor, Solo, Rogue One, etc., etc. It's fun, and I think TV suits Star Wars better than film, honestly.

I remember reading a quote from Mark Hamill about a scene that should have been in The Force Awakens. I'm sure someone here can find the exact quote. But it involved Luke turning up disguised as a Stormtrooper. It was a small paragraph or so of the scene. It was cool and made me wish we got that movie. Basically all three of the Original Trilogy characters were together. Of course that never happened for some reason unknown to me in these Sequel movies.

I even thought originally from the teaser that Finn's character was one of Luke's undercover new Jedi students infiltrating the First Order. But that wasn't the case either. He was just a generic Stormtrooper...

I get how younger audiences grow up with the new movies / TV shows and might like them. But I also think that's the parents fault for not being at least perhaps more into or appreciating older movies. Universal Monsters, James Bond, Hitchcock, Star Trek, and even Original Trilogy is before my time. But I still recognize that they are far better than these new movies even though they don't look modern.

It's just crazy to me that someone might want to watch the Prequels or Sequels over the Original Trilogy. As I still can't believe that somehow they made 6 movies (5 of which I've seen, I'll get around to Rise of Skywalker one day), that I'll never watch in full ever again.

I remember reading a quote from Mark Hamill about a scene that should have been in The Force Awakens. I'm sure someone here can find the exact quote. But it involved Luke turning up disguised as a Stormtrooper. It was a small paragraph or so of the scene. It was cool and made me wish we got that movie. Basically all three of the Original Trilogy characters were together. Of course that never happened for some reason unknown to me in these Sequel movies.

I even thought originally from the teaser that Finn's character was one of Luke's undercover new Jedi students infiltrating the First Order. But that wasn't the case either. He was just a generic Stormtrooper...

I get how younger audiences grow up with the new movies / TV shows and might like them. But I also think that's the parents fault for not being at least perhaps more into or appreciating older movies. Universal Monsters, James Bond, Hitchcock, Star Trek, and even Original Trilogy is before my time. But I still recognize that they are far better than these new movies even though they don't look modern.

It's just crazy to me that someone might want to watch the Prequels or Sequels over the Original Trilogy. As I still can't believe that somehow they made 6 movies (5 of which I've seen, I'll get around to Rise of Skywalker one day), that I'll never watch in full ever again.
I dunno if you have kids, but it's pretty hard to "make" them watch a film, let alone appreciate it, if they don't want to. At least it's hard up until a certain age. You do your best to expose them to things, but they make their own decisions.

Good of you to assume this about people you’ve never met.
I never said that, Wakeem said that in post #27. You have mis-quoted me.

IMG_9381.jpeg
IMG_9382.jpeg

One other thing I'd point out on the differences between parenting today and parenting when I was a kid.

First, I remember when we got our first VCR. I grew up watching a copy of Star Wars that friends had recorded off of the PRISM network. I remember when the local video store (no longer open) opened, and our account was literally a 3 digit number because we were one of the first people to sign up.

Back then, Philadelphia literally did not have cable (look it up -- we didn't get cable in the city until about 1991 or so). We had 7 channels we could watch: the three VHF networks, the three UHF networks, and PBS. That was it. The internet was still a DARPA project, and it was only in my pre-teen years that my friends and I started using a 2400 baud modem to call BBS services.

Put simply, there were far, far fewer options available for entertainment. Parents had, I'd argue, somewhat more leverage to "make" their kids watch stuff because there just wasn't that much other stuff to watch.

Now? ******, now you have 47 different varieties of streaming services and kids flit from show to show and episode to episode at the touch of a screen. Left to her own devices, my kid will skim thru episodes to watch the parts she wants, then skip to another episode entirely, then skip to a different show or platform. She has endless choices, and there's always something new, and she discovers new things when the streaming platforms show her stuff. She started watching the new Carmen Sandiago cartoon ("new" in the sense of "Not the live-action show with Rockapella singing the theme song.") because the algorithm spit it out at her.

I've gotten her to watch older films and she's enjoyed them (we did a viewing of Bedknobs and Broomsticks recently, I've shown her the Rankin Bass Hobbit cartoon, and she just recently discovered the fun of MST3K spoofing various Christmas movies), but a B&W movie is gonna be a lift for her (she's not quite 8), and that's not just because there's no color. Older films are shot and paced very differently. You have far more static cameras, longer scenes, sometimes scenes with no background music, etc. It's often closer to watching a theater production.

We can lament how these kids today can't appreciate good art because of their digital hula hoops and such, but at the end of the day, they're gonna watch what they're gonna watch, and it's up to us just kinda guide them in the right direction. Certainly for my kid, laying down the law and saying "You WILL watch this, and you WILL like it!!" just doesn't work. She might physically sit in the room, but she'll do it under protest and not really pay attention. Much easier to get her to watch something when she buys into it and is at least willing to sit and watch.

This is a generational thing, and we've already seen how it plays out. "Old" Star Wars fans dislike the "New" Star Wars stuff, but the kids who grew up with it friggin' love it. It happened with the PT, it'll happen with the ST.

Now, I think there are things that you can point to with the PT that are materially different -- namely them being the artistic result of one man's (flawed) vision -- but the PT itself is...not good. It's gorgeous, but deeply, deeply flawed. I could go into detail, but we did that 20 years ago and then for 10 years more afterwards.
Personally I see things differently....I work with folks of all ages, people around my age naturally prefer the OT (50+), there were some in their late 20's early 30's who have a fondness for the PT, (& were really excited when Christopher Lloyd popped up in Mando, mentioning his support of Count Dooku), but they still prefer the OT.
My daughter is 16 & has moved away from SW, still is interested in Harry Potter, so yesterday she had a big room tidy, & she is giving her SW POP vinyl away to her classmate,...who was overjoyed,...Rey, Leia (TFA) & Chewie with a porg
My daughter told me that her mate's favourite films are, in order, the OT, PT, Mando & the Clone Wars cartoons
Mando being the only Disney thing she likes

She says, that now that the hype of the ST has died down, she can see that it was poor, & she has no attachment to it

The 20-30 aged folk that grew up with the PT still maintain that attachment,....my son (24) being evidence of that,....He now is collecting old LEGO Jedi Starfighter kits, Jango Slave One

I think things are a lot different with the Disney era

J

My kids are in their mid-20s and they like the OT and hate everything else. They have zero interest in watching anything that Disney makes, which to be honest, is ANYTHING that Disney makes, not just new SW stuff. I don't think they've even seen any of the sequels, and I don't blame them.

I don't think I used the word "make" when talking about kids watching old movies and shows. Saying make kind of feels like force.

Perhaps since I grew up going to plays and had theaters in my school that helped too. When I got Universal Monsters figures for the holidays, I didn't even know the characters were from the 30s. Just that they were cool monsters. I still have more in that series to watch like Bride of Frankenstein. I keep hearing that it's the best one.

I didn't know I was watching Batman TV re-runs when I was growing up till like the 2000s. So everyone is different and what they have access to. Perhaps, I just like finding shows no matter the age. I would get freaked out by black and white Twilight Zone re-runs. I still get chills from them. I watched one I haven't seen in a while called Twenty Two. It has Doctor Smith from the original Lost in Space TV show. As well as an actress from the Original Star Trek. The episode is still scary. Don't spoil it though if anyone hasn't seen it.

Also, I recently found a 50s Western TV show called Tales of Wells Fargo and it has one of the coolest characters ever. He's at times like a Western James Bond mixed with detective. I hope I'm not the only one here that's seen it. Since Star Wars is a Space Western, people here might like Tales of Wells Fargo too. It's a show worth owning to me.

They are blind to the fact that nothing will save this "New Jedi Order" trilogy because it's about Rey. On top of that they are having her do what Luke was intended to do. They could have Francis Ford Coppola or Steven Spielberg direct them and they'll bomb.

So is she saying Deborah Chow doesn't count because she only directed a streaming show? What about all the women creating/directing/producing Acolyte they don't count? Is she saying KK doesn't exist shaping all of star wars from the highest level? or is she trying to get fired from a film guaranteed to fail?

So is she saying Deborah Chow doesn't count because she only directed a streaming show? What about all the women creating/directing/producing Acolyte they don't count? Is she saying KK doesn't exist shaping all of star wars from the highest level? or is she trying to get fired from a film guaranteed to fail?

I don't think Star Wars would have been as magical without Marcia Lucas.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back