Studio Scale TIE Fighter

Harbor Freight sells a large cutoff wheel pretty cheap that would prob. slice through the armature.

Nevermind, missed the part about it being build around the armature. There wouldn't be enough room.

Not sure if it was mentioned earlier in this thread (I've never read the entire thread) but this info about how the wings are layered is awesome! It's new to me. As with most of my projects here recently, I don't predict I'll have a finished SS TIE any time soon but I can go ahead and get all the basic shapes cut out now.

Anyone have a good dead-on side shot pic of the SS wing? Preferably the ANH version but ESB will do as well.

Joe

Just checked. Two different armatures. 13" and 14". So, I assume the longer is the Interceptor. Good data if anyone is concerned you can now confirm you have the right stuff.

I have TWO TIE kits - TWO... and both have 14" armatures. WTF, fellas?

So yeah, I need to send one back to Steve for a swap. This other one will obviously still be cut carefully as the ball is pretty much permanently on there.

6146057018_3e56232d1f_o.jpg

Dave - add me to the dreaded list - I will send this second armature back AFTER I get the correct one.

I called him and got voicemail.

I guess I'll call again today and get this other armature swapped out.

But please add me to his list. I want to keep this on the level and transparent, thanks.

I also have got to say, armature woes aside, this ball is pretty dang impressive. John C is really really good! This is going to look AMAZING when it's done.

6148685091_045e91195e_o.jpg

you are right about that cockpit!!!! That brings tears to my eyes!!!! I have compared it to the old style so many times (night and day) and can't find fault with it whatsoever. :)

Twice now, I have heard people tell me that Steve is saying the 14" armature is correct for the TIE, and that the SHORTER one is for the Interceptor.

Huh?

Ahhh using those thick stunt wings. Glad it works for you. But I'm shooting for accurate ANH wings, built with real Kool Shade, they need to be WAY thinner, and the armature is therefore WAY too long, especially at 14". I must be in the minority - it's making more sense now, after seeing your pic. The armatures were tailored to those stunt wings.

Real untouched ANH TIE wing is .25" at the leading edge, including the wing star strut thickness (see how thin it's supposed to be? But it's funny to see how one star is thicker than the other, heh)... even adding the "hub plate" thickness, you're still going to be way thinner:
IMG_1471.jpg

Yep,Steve told me The 14" was for the HERO TIE & the 13" was for the Interceptor.But the more I check it seems it has to be the 13" for the Hero.
I have Steve's Interceptor wings & even with the hub/strut a little farther out the 14" seems to long.So I agree the 13" could also be for the Interceptor.

Jason,I think you may have it right with the 14" being for the stunt/cast wings.I tried my cast wings from Steve & there a good fit.

I asked Steve to post here that the 14" is for the Hero.

Dave

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back