"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

I'm glad they renewed it, I was a little worried what with Fox's track record but I would rather it is on network TV than be on a streaming service that you have to pay extra for.

Same here, esp. given that Fox is now part of Disney they could have potentially moved it to streaming exclusively on Disney +. I doubt that it would have happened as it would have been something of an odd fit but it its theoretically possible.

Yeah, I noticed the asteroid field music mimicking "The Asteroid Field" theme from ESB. Some of the music on the planet with the hidden base (the planet that was very reminiscent of the fourth moon of Endor) seemed to reference both the RotJ Endor music prior to the reveal of the Ewoks as well as that used when Artoo and Threepio were wandering about Tatooine early in ANH (which itself referenced "The Rite of Spring"). Later, the score for the scenes where the Orville is being raised out of the Pacific and back into space seemed to strongly reference James Horner's "Stealing the Enterprise" score from Star Trek III.

Personally, I quite enjoy these little musical tips of the hat. I understand that the expression isn't always meant pejoratively, but it bothers me when what seems clearly meant as a loving homage is referred to as "ripping off" the earlier work. So, this isn't necessarily taking anyone in this thread to task, but it opened the door for me to have my quick say here ...

I've seen people blast John Williams for "ripping off" the aforementioned "The Rite of Spring" and "Mars, the Bringer of War" and numerous other older compositions that he seems to have referenced to various degrees in Star Wars and elsewhere, decrying him as nothing more than a particularly adept thieving hack. These people don't seem to understand that, for all his accolades and fame, Williams is essentially a hired hand on a film score, and he is often asked to write music that overtly references specific pre-existing compositions, or certain bits of them. He does so masterfully. His job, like that of everyone else who works on virtually any feature film, is to support the director's vision.

SSB
Yeah just to be clear, in no way was I intending the phrase "ripping off" to be negative in any way. I absolutely loved the homage and had a ton of fun picking out all of the beats and scenes that were clearly taken from other films intentionally. I took it as them having fun with it and did not mean that to sound like I thought they stole anything or that I didn't like it.

Yeah just to be clear, in no way was I intending the phrase "ripping off" to be negative in any way. I absolutely loved the homage and had a ton of fun picking out all of the beats and scenes that were clearly taken from other films intentionally. I took it as them having fun with it and did not mean that to sound like I thought they stole anything or that I didn't like it.
Sorry -- I meant to go back and clarify that I didn't mean you necessarily actually thought there was anything untoward going on. It just made me think of how I have seen people make such accusations, and also in turn those who sneer at the work of John Williams, James Horner and other composers for the similarities to older compositions (often used as temp tracks before the final scores were composed), as if the only acceptable thing for a good composer to do is to craft an entirely original symphony, which is not the job of a film composer. And composers have been alluding to and even quoting the composers who came before them since time immemorial. I bet any thorough count (if such were even possible) of the number of times "Dies Irae" alone has been quoted in other symphonic works as well as in film scores would boggle the mind.

SSB

In college we studied Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet. The next year Star Wars was released (the original).
John Williams followed the structure concepts of R&J in the soundtrack- each character had a theme, certain scenes had the themes combined according to how the interaction, etc...
You can close your eyes and by listening 'see' the entire play with just the music- Star Wars is like that.
It was not a copy and did not share much musically, but the pattern is unmistakable.

Last edited:
Talking of composers who ape other composers style... One modern composer I happen to rather like is Michael Giacchino whom I feel is a lot like a modern day John Williams... He certainly ly uses a lot of the same cues...

And I was saying long before he was a big time Hollywood composer and working with JJ... Back when he was a game music and library music composer in the late 90s early 00s.... His MOHAA score was amazing... Had the epic heroic and somber feel of a ww2 film a long with a 1940s aesthetic... But that also borrowed some cues of John Williams which is when I started making that destination of him being a modern day Williams. (I realise Williams isn't dead just he doesn't do as much as he used to...)

So much so when JJ announced force awakens I fully suspected Michael to score it.

Stage 9 was pretty interesting in VR. This looks like a major increase in quality. Hopefully Fox/Seth just supports them fully instead of shutting them down.

Seth already Tweeted his support of the project.

B9AB09A8-C495-40C5-A80D-F1339668BC33.png

I like the idea they are getting off of FOX but this will be the end for me as I don't subscribe to hulu or any other streaming services. I guess I can always buy the season on DVD/Blueray if they release them.

I don't have Hulu either, but, Disney is going to have a package deal for Disney, Hulu, and ESPN. I could care less about the ESPN bit, but, the pricing i heard originally was around 12 bucks for the 3 of them IIRC - cheaper than netflix.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back