"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

Just watched the last episode. And I'm now worried. Remember a few episodes ago with Gordon and the simulation of the woman on the phone? Remember what Kelly said? Without Ed, there'd be no Orville. The same is true without Kelly. Think about it: Ed only got command because Kelly put a word in for him, mostly out of regret for cheating on him. If she's never has a relationship with Ed, then that means Ed doesn't get a command, Gordon still stays on suspension, Finn never transfer to the Orville, Bortus never finds out Klyden was once female and willing goes along with the gender reassignment of their kid, all the female Moclans end up being converted, LaMarr is still playing dumb (or worse, lobotomized), a whole lot of people are dead (the scientists from the first episode, the two colonies Ed and Company saved from the Krill), and the two worse possible scenarios: Pria (remember her?) successfully steals the Orville and it's not there to stop the Kaylon (and since Isaac doesn't meet Finn, that means there's no one stopping the Kaylon from wiping out all living things, and without Kelly and Gordon to get the Krill involved, they sit it out until the Kaylon wipe them out). This is the worst Butterfly Effect scenario ever seen in any form of fiction...
And all because Kelly wouldn't go on a second date with Ed. What a b****!!!

:p

In the first episode, the Admiral said that he always thought that Ed would have command of a major starship until his breakdown. So if he never dated Kelly again, married then had his breakdown, Ed might have gotten command of a Capital starship.

David.

But, you forget one thing: Ed had been working hard before he found out about Kelly's infidelity. He literally tells her after she meets with him in his office onboard the Orville in the first episode, "I was doing it for us!" That means with Kelly not there, Ed doesn't end up working hard. Not working hard means not being noticed. Not being noticed means no command of the Orville. Plus, at the end of the episode, it was clear the Admiral gave Ed the command because it was a favor from Kelly. And considering how he reacted to finding out his wife had been cheating on him, there's a good chance he's gonna go into a slump similar to the one he did, and him possibly being at a lower rank at that time, it's gonna hurt his chances at becoming a commander even more.

That means with Kelly not there, Ed doesn't end up working hard

I don't think we have enough evidence to state that. While your idea is possible it could just as easily go the other way. The much more straightforward (and easier to explain to the audience) scenario is workaholic Ed doesn't have his career thrown off course by the divorce, and ends up as a much less relaxed Captain possibly on a different ship.

I don't like the way this is turning around like now it is Ed's fault she cheated. If it had been him cheating on her it would have never been presented like this.

Well, it doesn't present it fully like that as we saw in Season 1's Cupid's Arrow. However, he does acknowledge his part of why the marriage failed.

I think the only time travel episode I really liked was Star Trek TOS's "Yesterday is Tomorrow" when they go back to 1966/67. It was the first time Trek used it and it was a novel idea that then got way overused by every science fiction show/movie that came along.

I've been trying to think of what I would tell myself of seven years ago. Sadly, I can't really think of anything. Seven years ago my wife had already died, I had the same job, same car, same house, same friends, same dog. Can't really think of anything that has changed for me in the last seven years. That's depressing.

I've been trying to think of what I would tell myself of seven years ago. Sadly, I can't really think of anything. Seven years ago my wife had already died, I had the same job, same car, same house, same friends, same dog. Can't really think of anything that has changed for me in the last seven years. That's depressing.
Same thing here- seven years ago I had just met the woman I would marry and everything else was just details.
If I could pick a time it would be when I was in college in '77- more for reassurances since even the bad times I was going through contributed to making what I am today.

I like the idea of Mercer continuing his career and getting a larger capital ship- I can also see it being destroyed during the Kaylon battle

Well, Kelly agreed to a second date (again), so everything's back to normal. Actually it would have been more interesting if time had been less linear, creating an alternate timeline/reality which they could revisit in the future (of the show).

Twinkies rule!!!!

I loved the finale and was also glad to see a surprise return for this episode. I thought they did a great job and didn't pull some mumbo jumbo to make everything the way it should be. What they came up with was well thought out and didn't require a red whatever to do something unbelievable. I was also glad to see that they didn't pull a Star Trek and make us wait until next season for the conclusion, I was getting worried as we got closer to the end of the episode.

Has anyone heard for sure that they are renewed for next season? This is FOX afterall who has a history of canceling good shows.

So guys I have Tuesday and Wednesday off of work, so normally I watch as soon as I get home on my Monday, which is truly Thursday. Anyway, this week I had Thursday off of work also, and thought Friday was Thursday.

I see there’s posts and thinking it’s before the show airs I come in to read the posts before realizing it was Friday, and obviously spoiled a bit of the episode for myself, then a couple posts on Facebook finished the spoilers.

With that said, I was still really impressed by the episode. The story was tightly woven with last week’s episode, the time travel element works with the way they’re telling their story, and the episode had a lot of “weight” to it. I really, really enjoyed it.

If it’s the last episode, then they went out with a bang. I read an article that mentioned TV writers have become masters of doing season finales that can also serve as series finales if need be, and I felt like this episode was exactly that.

One thing of note...why in ALL science fiction do ultra intelligent robots manage to have the worst aim possible? I feel that a hyper intelligent inorganic lifeform world hit just about everything it shoots at...what with its processing and sensors being able to tell it exactly where to point in order to score a hit. I guess it would kind of kill the storytelling, but I’ve just always wondered that.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back