"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

I don't think we have enough evidence to state that. While your idea is possible it could just as easily go the other way. The much more straightforward (and easier to explain to the audience) scenario is workaholic Ed doesn't have his career thrown off course by the divorce, and ends up as a much less relaxed Captain possibly on a different ship.

(Cleans throat, pulls out a megaphone)

CALLED IT! (J/K) XD

Seriously, my fan hypothesis batting average is four out of five (not literally speaking). I was right about Kelly not going on the date with Ed drastically affecting things (the last time I was close to predicting something on this show, it was when I predicted that Isaac would end up turning on his people to stay with Claire after they decided to refuse to join the Union. I was off for the fact I wasn't expecting the Kaylon to try and freakin' wipe out all lifeforms in the freakin' universe).

Last edited:
More "barely legally distinct from" Horner music in this one, STIII this time.
And again this week.
This is probably one of those cases where temp music is put in during the edit, and then the show runners object if the newly recorded music doesn't sound just like it.

I don't know too much about deep sea stuff, but do pressurization and decompression not exist in the future? How could they go that deep and come right back out like that?

I don't know too much about deep sea stuff, but do pressurization and decompression not exist in the future? How could they go that deep and come right back out like that?

I think that decompression wouldn't be too much of an issue given that they're inside the shuttle and the Orville an shielded from the pressure. However, pressurization would be something of an issue, mostly that the Orville shouldn't be able to sit that deep without shields or built to withstand such pressures without being crushed. The shuttle was barely able to make it that deep and would have been crushed like a beer can if it didn't get to the shuttle bay when it did. Although the Orville is much larger it's still not a submarine and unless Bortus was maintaining very high pressure atmosphere levels inside the Orville or flooded larger areas of it, then it too should have been suffering from the pressure levels associated with being miles deep underwater.

Kinda what he said.

If you can have inertial dampeners in space that let the ship do all that evasive maneuvering stuff having none of the crew strapped in and no one injured from being flung all over, being able to counter pressurize the shuttle or ship is a non-issue.

Yeah, probably over thinking it. I had just watched The Abyss before that episode, so it was in the back of my head.

You're maybe over thinking it just a little, but not much, it is a legitimate concerned, even if easily addressed. There's still the issue of how the Orville was able to withstand the crushing depths of the Marianas Trench unless they had their shields active all this time.

It depends on how strong the hull is. This is sci-fi. It can be anything they want it to be.

That is true. There are times the original Star Trek had things that happened that weren't based on actual science. This is even true with modern sci-if shows (a great example is the Atmosphere Drop scene from Season 3 of the reimagined Battlestar Galactica series. The science advisor told the producers of the show that such an actual drop would rip the Battlestar apart, but they decided to keep it in due to the fact it looked cool).

I can’t believe nobody else has pointed out just how much this last episode ripped off / parodied Star Wars. From the music having so many almost direct rips from the ESB sound track to the asteroid chase, homage to the ROTJ jabbas palace door scene, droid army, etc. it’s like they said “hey different time line, let’s make it less ST and more SW”. Just the music alone was so blatantly trying to be Star war much more than in any previous episode in my opinion.

Maybe because it's a play on the TNG episode involving an Enterprise B from the past interfering and altering the present Enterprise D, drastically changing the outcome of the present, turning it into a war zone until it GT sent back an d corrected the tumeline?

Last edited:
I can’t believe nobody else has pointed out just how much this last episode ripped off / parodied Star Wars. From the music having so many almost direct rips from the ESB sound track to the asteroid chase, homage to the ROTJ jabbas palace door scene, droid army, etc. it’s like they said “hey different time line, let’s make it less ST and more SW”. Just the music alone was so blatantly trying to be Star war much more than in any previous episode in my opinion.

You're not the only one. The music in the asteroid field even mimicked ESB. I got the jabba's palace door thing and the bunker reminded me of the Endor bunker as well. It was all over in that one.

Not that I minded one bit, either. It wasn't overt as SG1 using the same call signs in battle and literally ripping off the inside of the DS2, but the references were all over this one.

You're not the only one. The music in the asteroid field even mimicked ESB. I got the jabba's palace door thing and the bunker reminded me of the Endor bunker as well. It was all over in that one.

Not that I minded one bit, either. It wasn't overt as SG1 using the same call signs in battle and literally ripping off the inside of the DS2, but the references were all over this one.
Yeah, I noticed the asteroid field music mimicking "The Asteroid Field" theme from ESB. Some of the music on the planet with the hidden base (the planet that was very reminiscent of the fourth moon of Endor) seemed to reference both the RotJ Endor music prior to the reveal of the Ewoks as well as that used when Artoo and Threepio were wandering about Tatooine early in ANH (which itself referenced "The Rite of Spring"). Later, the score for the scenes where the Orville is being raised out of the Pacific and back into space seemed to strongly reference James Horner's "Stealing the Enterprise" score from Star Trek III.

Personally, I quite enjoy these little musical tips of the hat. I understand that the expression isn't always meant pejoratively, but it bothers me when what seems clearly meant as a loving homage is referred to as "ripping off" the earlier work. So, this isn't necessarily taking anyone in this thread to task, but it opened the door for me to have my quick say here ...

I've seen people blast John Williams for "ripping off" the aforementioned "The Rite of Spring" and "Mars, the Bringer of War" and numerous other older compositions that he seems to have referenced to various degrees in Star Wars and elsewhere, decrying him as nothing more than a particularly adept thieving hack. These people don't seem to understand that, for all his accolades and fame, Williams is essentially a hired hand on a film score, and he is often asked to write music that overtly references specific pre-existing compositions, or certain bits of them. He does so masterfully. His job, like that of everyone else who works on virtually any feature film, is to support the director's vision.

SSB

Last edited:
I was sorta hoping Fox would bail so someone who isn't Fox would pick it up. Fox and sci-fi do not mix. But still happy it'll be back!

Great news. Bring on the third! Watching The Orville just makes me happy, the way Trek used to do in the 80s-00s. It's without a doubt my favorite show right now. And I think the continual nods to classic Scifi are fun to discover.

Maybe if we're really lucky, Bortus will get to finish singing that song...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back