TrooperTrent Holiday Special Lightsaber Series

The endcap fit mine—a flash with mid-tube “Graflex” stamping and no cardboard inner tube—just fine.

Yup the end cap fits the graflex 2773 perfectly, these graflites are cheaply constructed... they skimped on the construction...

I'll be adding weight to mine, too. No question.

I've got both a Graflex and Graflite, and the latter I seem to remember did have that cardboard tube, but it's long since gone, as are the innards because I used that as a custom long ago. So I've just got the empty shell.

The Graflex was untouched, and is what I'm using for the HS, I'm glad I had the foresight to keep this one waiting for it's proper role!

Perhaps Graf"LITE" isn't just a clever name? Maybe press photographers and the like complained about the weight to the folks at Graflex, so they did something about it! It had to be rough being a photographer back then, trying to keep such a heavy camera steady for who knows how long! That, or we're a bunch of pampered wussies, today!

The weight may actually have been a factor, but it still seems like they genuinely cheaped out. The flash tube just a one-piece aluminum tube, rather than the three-part, chrome-plated brass design of the original. There were some small chunks missing from the (now removed) endcap threading on mine, too. Threading the plastic endcap on and off shouldn't have made the metal so brittle. It’s just a cheap aluminum tube with the button and the electrical ports stuck at the top.

None of the artfulness or the quality of materials and appearance of the classic Graflex flashgun. Which seems utterly appropriate for the HOLIDAY SPECIAL! And I won’t be adding weight to mine, since it adds to the overall crappy effect, as it should be.

The weight may actually have been a factor, but it still seems like they genuinely cheaped out. The flash tube just a one-piece aluminum tube, rather than the three-part, chrome-plated brass design of the original. There were some small chunks missing from the (now removed) endcap threading on mine, too. Threading the plastic endcap on and off shouldn't have made the metal so brittle. It’s just a cheap aluminum tube with the button and the electrical ports stuck at the top.

None of the artfulness or the quality of materials and appearance of the classic Graflex flashgun. Which seems utterly appropriate for the HOLIDAY SPECIAL! And I won’t be adding weight to mine, since it adds to the overall crappy effect, as it should be.

Indeed, these are the “Dollar Store Graflex Flashes”.

My flash with “Graflite” stamping on the upper tube has the cardboard. My other flash—the one I converted into my HS, with “Graflex” stamping on the middle of the tube—does not. Unless I missed it! I’d have to remove the bulb assembly to check, and I’d rather not bother to do that until such time as Halliwax’s tongue research is complete.

So, was this already discussed, the placement of the GRAFLEX lettering? I feel like it was.

Mines a little higher up than Danny's in his video.

Or did you use Vader grips?

I'm not finished with my shroud, just had to see how it would look on there! Few tweaks to do on that, yet. Need to paint, too.

0410190007.jpg
0410190008.jpg

So, was this already discussed, the placement of the GRAFLEX lettering? I feel like it was.

Mines a little higher up than Danny's in his video.

Or did you use Vader grips?

I'm not finished with my shroud, just had to see how it would look on there! Few tweaks to do on that, yet. Need to paint, too.

View attachment 1008566 View attachment 1008567

The korbanth track I’m getting is from the graflex 2.0 kits. Every one I’ve gotten have all been the same size proving they are from graflex 2.0s

I did get one short one but that was because the pervious owner tried cutting it lol

I don’t see anything wrong with yours, these are fun saber projects, don’t stress it! ;)

This is one of the most enjoyable lightsaber builds, despite the misbegotten heritage of the prop to the overall saga.

But, imagine if this had been the hilt that they grabbed out of the “lightsaber storage locker”, at the last minute, to replace Luke’s Graflex lightsaber for ROTJ rather than the V2?

I suppose that Vader’s dialogue would have been changed substantially in the “ISYHCANL” scene...

“I see that you have constructed a new lightsaber...your skills are obviously not complete....you have much to learn, my son. I mean, really??”

Last edited:
This is one of the most enjoyable lightsaber builds, despite the misbegotten heritage of the prop to the overall saga.

But, imagine if this had been the hilt that they grabbed out of the “lightsaber storage locker”, at the last minute, to replace Luke’s Graflex lightsaber for ROTJ rather than the V2?

This makes me wonder whatever happened to it. We know it was used (at least) for that insert shot in ESB, and had lost part of its shroud, by that point.

After that, nothing. Lost? Stolen? Given away? Hiding in some corner of the LFL Archives?

Hahaha, y'all rag on this thing so much, honestly it's really grown on me!

After fabricating the shroud, I really started to appreciate this design for what it is. I think it's easily cooler looking than some of the prequel designs and some of the custom hilts I see.

Of course it's ugly compared to the OG 3-Cell, but it has its own charm. I think it's the shroud that really sells it. It's kinda beautiful, in a way, and was really fun to make!

Trent's templates helped immensely, I gotta say!

Maybe if the thing weren't what it is (a cheap stand-in for the "pretty" 3-cell), and wasn't related to the Holiday Special in any way, it would be more appreciated. I liken it to the Gary Kurtz Strobonar Vader.

(Hell, do y'all think Gary Kurtz could've been the one who threw this thing together?!)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back