Suggestion Tutorial Forum

Re: Opinions on if having a seperate area for Tutorials

I think this has come up a bunch of times, but I don't think it ever came to be.

Mods?

Sean

Re: Opinions on us having a seperate area for Tutorials

Someone else said it should be brought up when I asked if he knew any tutorials for Predator Gauntlets, so I figure why not.

I recommend the League of Heroes, they have a nice tutorial section. Beyond that, there are tutorials sprinkled through the general prop forum and the costuming forum here.

Oh and if you need something specific, do a search first and then never hurts to ask.

I think its a great idea.

I recently had a hankering to try something new thats forum related, and spent a good part of the day going through the forum to try and find a place to start.

I dont think that post have to take the form of individual tutorials, but when someone shares something that qualifies, it can be linked through a forum that highlights the technique. Thats my take anyhow. Hope it helps.

Two sub-forums, one for material reviews, the other for tutorials.

Of course, this is the second suggestion I've made, though the first one about a forum dedicated to original props and costumes may have been too far out for its own validation. But the suggestion I'm about to make may be more useful for RPF members.

As you know, one of the things about making props is the constant trial and error on what materials to use. If you've noticed, I myself have asked questions about certain products in the actual prop replica portion of the forums. If others also do so, using the search engine would end up resulting in too many posts to look through just to find out about one product alone.

So, I suggest that one sub-forum be open under the main forum section which is to be dedicated strictly to the reviews of products for making props and/or makeup effects. For example, let's say a user wants to know about mold-making kit from a certain company or the best type of paint to get the best kind of look from a prop. If any users here have used the product, they can post a thorough review, explaining the pros and cons of the product and if it is worth the price. For example, which clay is the best for sculpting with the best detail and it not cause any problems when you create a mold.

Another sub-forum, which could come in just as handy, is a tutorials sub-forum on how to not just use materials, but methods of constructing props. This could be useful for people who are going into constructing physical props or creating makeup effects. Though some tutorials are available on YouTube, such as how to do a two-part mold, for example, there are a variety of others that do not have tutorials, such as alternate methods of making a life cast of someone's head to be able to make certain makeup effects or how to scratch build a studio grade stop-motion armature. And not only it cover the construction of props, costumes and models, but also ways on how to display them (again, the product review section could be useful here, as it could also cover the best display cases or materials to construct a study display case that won't cause damage to your props, costumes and models {be it screen-used props or replicas}). And not to mention, if someone finds a tutorial on how to construct an item that appears pretty high quality (like from Instructables or YouTube), they can post links to them, essentially becoming a resource of tutorials for constructing props and methods of how to do it.

I hope this suggestion is useful. Thank you for your time and you have a nice day. :)

Re: Two sub-forums, one for material reviews, the other for tutorials.

Hi,

this suggestion comes up from time to time.

Since a lot of members post their WIP´s with a lot of photos and background information, those threads, dealing with specific props, are of course tutorials in themselves. They are not labeled "Tutorial", but they contain a ton of information that rivals or even beats a lot of tuts out there.

Now, we have all those wonderful WIPs in the props section and in the costuming section, but how should we decide about putting them into the tut section or just leave them in their original sections?

In addition to that, if we start tut sections, we would have to subdivide them as well, for props, for costumes, for modeling etc. It seems like it makes more sense to keep showoff threads and WIP´s together, especially since WIP´s at one point become show-off threads. All of those threads are then nicely complimented by all those "does anyone know how..." or "where can I find information on..." threads.

As you might have noticed, people often don´t like too many sub-forums, although a paper prop sub forum now seems like the natural thing, as does the new movies and media forum, which we still have a discussion about going on.

So, at this point in time we are not planning another subforum as per your suggestions. But the Wiki will definitely take off sooner or later, and that might be a good place to work your suggestions in.

Michael
RPF staff

Tutorials section

I know the idea has been kicked around before, but how about a tutorials (or Techniques) section for members covering molding, painting techniques and so on.

Perhaps as a sub-forum to the General Modeling board, rather than clutter up the place with another full-blown section.

As more new members join up, I think it would be a good place for estabished members to pass on their skills and techniques.

I see lots of 'How do I' type threads on the board, this could be the home for those and then all the resources are in one place.

Re: Tutorials section

I have to agree over the years, I have seen the same "how to" post come and go in the forums, a 'how to' or tutorial forum would benefit in being able to keep those post to a minimum or at least provide a localized area for them...

Heck call it "The Builder Corner" or something where people could share experiences and make recommendations for certain products, techniques, and ways of doing things...

Some of the topics I can recall off the top of my head that would benefit from such a forum are listed below, these would differ from normal prop forum topics in that they would not be show of threads for a prop or item specific but rather threads devoted to the technique and products used to make the item in a certain way...

"How do I prep a resin part for paint"
"How do I fiberglass"
"How do I vacuum degas"
"How do I pressure cast"
"How do I cast clear parts"
"When should I use a tin cure, platinum cure or putty silicone"
"How to make a two, three or more part mold"
"How to mix and pour resin into a mold to get quality castings"
"What is a good clear casting resin"
"Recommendations for general purpose casting resins"
"Advice on using a lathe or milling machine"
"CNC router projects and assistance"
"How do I build a vacuum forming machine"
"How do I build a roto casting machine"
"What kind of glue works best on xxxxxx"
"How to weather or age an item"
"How to obtain a certain effect or look to the cast resin, like stone, marble, metal or wood"
"Recommend websites or stores to obtain common products"

One thing I would like to note a tutorial section should differ from the prop section in that it revolves solely around technique, product and application...

Example

"How to make a sink tube saber" would remain in the prop forum...

"How to cut a metal tube, finish the cut edges and solder/braze on other metal parts" would be in a tutorial section...

One thing I would like to note a tutorial section should differ from the prop section in that it revolves solely around technique, product and application...

Example

"How to make a sink tube saber" would remain in the prop forum...

"How to cut a metal tube, finish the cut edges and solder/braze on other metal parts" would be in a tutorial section...

That´s exactly what makes it a tough one.

The topic of tutorials isn´t a new one. But when did anyone actually post a tutorial on one specific technique?
It´s 99% the "how to make [insert specific prop]" instead of a post solely about a certain technique.

The techniques of making things is too closely connected to actual prop building. The majority of posts about building a prop include a huge amount of "how to" techniques.

And then there´s the challenge of "drawing the line". I can think of "a prop being used as an example for e.g. metal sink tube cutting", or "primary goal building a hardware saber, but still contains a huge chunk of information".

Look at the Pepakura thread, we have a dedicated thread on just the basic "how to´s", a collection of resources. The thread´s become huge, but it contains answers for most if not already almost all questions that people might have about pepakura.
People still will continue to post the most basic questions.

I personally can´t get enough of SS model building threads, especially the scratchbuilding threads. Tons of info, but always connected to a specific project.

Unless we have a slew of specific tutorials like the ones that you have in mind, there is not enough floating around that warrants adding a sub-forum.

So, I dare everyone to start collecting information and creating tutorials about building stuff ;). Maybe one day we have a large enough number to gather them all together and create a sub forum. Or someone takes the challenge of creating a huge thread with links to a lot of standard techniques and question, which could become a sticky just as the pepakura thread.

Michael

That´s exactly what makes it a tough one.

Nothing tough about it at all, quite a big distinction...

A thread saying go get this sink tube model, and this tube mode, this specific nut and bolt, this washer, this switch, and this windsheild wiper blade and this bend piece of sheet metal and assemble them to look like this is a "How to make a sink tube saber"

A thread stating slide a wood dowel inside the metal tubing so it doesn't crush while you secure it in a vise and use a hacksaw to cut it, use file and sand paper to clean the cut edge, additionally it can be buffed with wet sanding or a buffing wheel, to braze a component on that metal tube use silver solder and appropriate flux, heat evenly and allow the solder to wick into the seam is a "How to cut a metal tube, finish the cut edges and solder/braze on other metal parts"

Look at the Pepakura thread, we have a dedicated thread on just the basic "how to´s", a collection of resources. The thread´s become huge, but it contains answers for most if not already almost all questions that people might have about pepakura.
People still will continue to post the most basic questions.
Exactly the single thread gets huge and disorderly with the information lost in the shuffle so it's too time consuming and troublesome for people to read through dozens of pages to find the simple answer because it's not organized, or indexed...

But when did anyone actually post a tutorial on one specific technique?
It happens all the time, there have been multiple how to build a vacuum form machine, how to vacuum degas, how to pressure cast, how to setup an air compressor to paint with, how to make an LED light up, how can I cast a clear part, what silicone would be good for a newbie, what is a good general purpose casting resin type post over the years that had nothing to do with a specific prop but rather a technique or application...

One just for sculpting would be good too.

For sculpting threads could include, show or suggest what wire tools, stamps (and their creation) and what not work best, what types, density or brands of clay are recommended for certain types of work... Just in the last few weeks there have been threads asking what type of clay to use and how to sculpt over a plaster life cast, perfect examples of threads that would make tutorial topics... Pros and cons of traditional WED, oil based, wax based clays as well as new style modeling mediums like polymer clays would also make great tutorial topics...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back