Suggestion Tutorial Forum

Radom idea - why not tutorials!!

Hey all,

I may have mentioned this before, but I LOVE this site, I only wish I discovered it 10 years ago!!! (but that's another story!!)

Just a thought, this site does many wonderful things, but I know I would like clear instructions, WIP's etc, so I can try out stuff step by step.

What do y'all think??

Re: Radom idea - why not tutorials!!

There used to be a LOT more tutorials when the site started. I think that now that so much stuff is being produced as licensed props there aren't quite as many fan made projects. There were definitely more group builds and things like that earlier on.

Re: Radom idea - why not tutorials!!

And with the convenience of Youtube, people prefer to post video tutorials instead of text/pic tutorials.

I learn a lot more watching Youtube videos than reading posts from places like Instructables...

And some builders prefer to share their tricks and tips privately instead of posting it up for the world to see, for various reasons.

Yeah. I miss the heyday of written tutorials. It's hard for me to sit and watch a YouTube video, mainly because I can't understand what's being spoken. I also don't have the patience to sit through a whole video of any considerable length. I like to skim for information.

What'd be really nice is if more people took advantage of the sutitlong features available on YouTube, thereby enabling them to reach a greater audience.

hey guys noob here. i agree that a dedicated tutorials section for common projects and techniques would be awsome. i'm not a professional fx artist or expert crafstmen, but i love building things and making my own collectibles at a much cheaper cost than licensed. i do see the point though of the site being a show your work with plenty of informative posts, but i also see more of the buyers on this site becoming craftsmen themselves when they realize the cost differenc in building there own vs buying anothers work plus those who want to show their work still can all though this time they may not be bombarded as much by the same "howdya do that?" questions. i personally would be all over tutorials. sorry about the long post.

hey guys noob here. i agree that a dedicated tutorials section for common projects and techniques would be awsome. i'm not a professional fx artist or expert crafstmen, but i love building things and making my own collectibles at a much cheaper cost than licensed. i do see the point though of the site being a show your work with plenty of informative posts, but i also see more of the buyers on this site becoming craftsmen themselves when they realize the cost differenc in building there own vs buying anothers work plus those who want to show their work still can all though this time they may not be bombarded as much by the same "howdya do that?" questions. i personally would be all over tutorials. sorry about the long post.

My point exactly mate. I've certainly decided that all my projects will now become tutorials. I hope that will help others, I also hope to get pointers as to what I could have done differently/better

I used to love reading tutorial threads back in the day, but tutorial threads and WIP threads are darn near the exact same thing these days. Our internet speeds have made it possible to upload highly detailed photos in a snap. It kind of makes the long, drawn out "Step one, step two" text instructions useless. So much knowledge can be gleaned just from searching for whatever piece you want to make and looking at peoples build photos.

Judging by all of the "How do I make a _____?" and "What do I use for ____?" threads, something that would be infinitely more useful is a "Master Thread" for supplies, tools, terms, and techniques. So many people come here and ask basic questions regarding the hobby. If people took the time to familiarize themselves with those things, threads like that wouldn't exist. And since often times people don't want to take the initiative to do the Googling themselves, having links to all the info in one place would be useful.

I used to love reading tutorial threads back in the day, but tutorial threads and WIP threads are darn near the exact same thing these days.

That's what I was wondering about since people usually call my WIP pages tutorials even though they are not about "Do this and this to make that", but rather "I did this and this to make that", so maybe WIP pages would go under the same if there would ever be a tutorials forum, which I think is actually a pretty good idea :thumbsup

In the last few weeks I have only seen two dedicated tutorial threads and one "I need help with..." thread that turned into a collection of tutorials.

This is a bit thin to warrant a sub-forum. Once we have more of them it´s possible and of course reasonable to talk about a subforum again.

I´d rather like to see it done the same way we create the Movie and Entertainment forum, by creating the subforum and instantly have it filled with content that was collected from the off topic forum.

I started adding "Tutorial" to the title of a very few threads, so finding those will be easier in the future.

Michael
RPF staff

tutorail section??

how about a section on tutorials on basic prop stuff?

how to lay fiberglass
how to make armor parts out of eva foam.
how to do a layered paint job.
how to weather armor.
how to wire LED lights.
how to use a hot gluegun

and so on.

that way it would cut down on these types of threads in other sections and help new members find what need without posting a new thread.

believe it or not some people do not know how to do these things.
with all the new m,embers coming in this could be a cool section.

i would to see some how to threads on LED lights, basic z-brush and rhino tutorials.

thanks

PLease make a tutorial section. Everytime a I see a new thread asking how to build something that has literally been built hundred's of times I get the feeling some cool unique threads get left in the blackhole pages.

We are actually on the verge of testing out two new forum types, one being a tutorial forum. This was the reason behind our recent revamp of the index page. We are going to give it a go and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, we will just merge the forums back together.

We are actually on the verge of testing out two new forum types, one being a tutorial forum.

i think that would be an awesome idea.
I LOVE to create and try new things...I may find one day that I'm really good at one type of thing...but I don't know where to start with a new project as I have never tried it before.

I would like to know how to make a mould of a project I've created so that I can make more without having to start from scratch each time...I asked once and got told to youtube "something" but since I have NFI what I'm doing it makes it hard to just START...does that make sense?
:D

how about a toturial section?

i find myself going to google to search for tutorials, the problem is, you never know weather or not your really get good advice, i dont know these people, and allot of them are full of poodoo.

we have some very talented folks here that have put together some very nice videos, and we also have allot of people who could benefit from those and having easier access to them would be helpful.
i think having a tutorial section would be great, there would be threads on resin casting, fiberglassing, making molds, vacuforming and so on.

i see quite often the same questions get asked over and over and over, as for me, if i search for something and didnt word the search just right I'll never find the right subject, and i end up going to off topic asking for the info. it would be a great asset to this community to have much quicker access .......i think

Re: how about a toturial section?

i think a thread with links to all tutorials would be enough. Theres what, about 20 tutorials out there? after a while, there wont be a lot of contribution there, as you cant explain everything in every little detail

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back