[WIP] TASM Suit Pattern

How do you create the pattern so that you can add effects to it? You can't just add the effect to an empty layer, you need to have something in it, correct? I have a hexagon pattern, but if I use it on a layer of white, I cannot apply an effect to just the pattern itself. (To get the appearance of raised hexagons)

I do it like this, first I create my pattern in a new PS document, then I define it into a PS pattern, then I make a new layer and using the "Fill" function to fill the whole layer with the pattern. Then after that I just use the basic PS effects and by that I add some bevel & emboss, some shadow and it's all done!

Dude I love your pattern so far! You seem very good at this. I'd love to see your take on the black ASM suit from the videogame, only if you decide to do it.

Thanks! Well, I'm quite new to making suit patterns, this is actually my very first pattern ;)

I just want to point out that my main goal with this pattern is to make it as close to the original as possible, I want this pattern to be the most accurate one. So, that's why I'm still on the chest piece. Btw, when I'm done with the pattern I could really need som help to print and put the suit together. I've been looking around here in Sweden for a company that can print on lycra or spandex, but there are no such thing here. So, if someone could help me that would be awesome!

Last edited:
I just want to point out that my main goal with this pattern is to make it as close to the original as possible, I want this pattern to be the most accurate one. So, that's why I'm still on the chest piece. Btw, when I'm done with the pattern I could really need som help to print and put the suit together. I've been looking around here in Sweden for a company that can print on lycra or spandex, but there are no such thing here. So, if someone could help me that would be awesome!

Here in the England, the cheapest I was able to find were price between £150 - £230 depending on how much lycra I needed. So really it is quite an expensive procedure.

Oh and by the way. Your pattern is the best I've seen so far, keep up the good work :D

I guess it's time for a quick update! As you can see I'm still on the chest piece buuuuuuut I'm starting to get quite satisfied with it, so I can soon move on to the next part of the suit. Finally. Soooo, I made a few color changes again, I made the muscle shading darker and I added a texture.
1fxq40.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back