Wright Flyer: Original Wing Fabric Artifact

Buy now for 175 USD
You don't have the permission to purchase
(This isn't a movie-related item, but I figured some people here would be interested. If I'm going against any policy, I'd be happy to remove this page.)

This listing is for a piece of linen fabric from the original Wright Flyer. This fabric was present at Kitty Hawk and accompanied the Wright brothers as they successfully made their first flight on December 17, 1903. The artifact measures approximately .5" across, and it's been attached to an 8x10" photo for display. This item also comes with a Certificate of Authenticity listing its provenance.

Following their historic first flight, the Wright brothers disassembled the aircraft and put it in storage, in order to begin work on more advanced models. For several years, the Wright Flyer was stored in crates at their bicycle shop in Dayton, Ohio. In 1913, the Miami River overflowed and Dayton was flooded under 10 feet of water for several weeks. When the floodwater receded, the aircraft was recovered and later restored. During this process, the linen fabric of the wings was completely replaced, as the original fabric had been heavily stained by mud and water. The original 1903 fabric was kept in storage.

After the death of the Wright Brothers, their estate was handled by their niece, Ivonette Wright Miller. The restored Wright Flyer was gifted to the Smithsonian, and Ivonette sent several large pieces of the original 1903 fabric to various museums and institutions. One of these pieces was sent to the Jarrett Museum of World War History. Jarrett later gifted a portion of this fabric to noted aviation collector Robert Boehme. After Boehme's death, his artifacts were sold to Ron Cole, the owner of an aviation museum and art gallery in Ohio. This fabric came from a larger piece purchased from Cole.

The photos included here show the original fabric sample, along with the individual pieces being removed from it. The stains on the fabric are remnants of the Dayton flood. The winner will receive an artifact similar to the ones shown in the photos.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thank you for viewing this listing!

1.jpg

"The winner will receive an artifact similar to the ones shown in the photos."
"Similar" ? So the item you are selling isn't actually shown in these photos?

Also, the "#9" specimen in the second post looks different in the first photo. The bottom right corner is not flattened/cut in the first photo.

Or am I missing something. Thanks.

I've got a few dozen of these for sale, and they all look very similar to one another. So instead of making individual listings dozens of times, I just decided to make one listing with 20 items for sale. But each COA will show that individual piece specifically being removed/mounted. And if someone wants to see which specific item they'd be getting, they can send a PM and I'd be happy to let them choose any one they like. But they're pretty much the same size/shape, so I didn't want to overly complicate the listing with dozens of essentially identical photos.

Also, I promise you that the #9 specimen is the same in both of those photos. They both have the flattened edge, and the same dirt pattern. One of the photos came out a little more clear than the other. But here are both of those previous photos, cropped and put together:

z.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back