Y-Wing Building

I promise I do understand the quote and where your coming from. I reapect that and can only hope to be that kbowledgable some day. The point I was trying to make is that everyone has to start from somewhere.

I promise I do understand the quote and where your coming from. I reapect that and can only hope to be that kbowledgable some day. The point I was trying to make is that everyone has to start from somewhere.

Im not contesting the fact we all came with barely no knowledge. And this was not aimed at you guys since you're working on your partmaps (and Ive been happy to help so far) buy at the guy asking for a partmap.

It is great that most here in the forums are willing to share the knowledge that they have gained over the years to everyone that wants to know and learn.

We all have to start someplace, The y-wing project is my first attempt on a level that I have never attempted before. I do expect it to take time, many things to learn and obstacles to overcome.

As fun and rewarding as it may be, I do not plan on spending my lifetime researching this one subject (sounds harsh but not intended).
I know that I will not live forever. I want to enjoy this hobby and many other aspects of life before I die. The assistance from others on this subject will greatly reduce the research time. Allowing not just myself but others to enjoy the building of this replica, other kits, and others aspects of life.

If anyone has any information, I ask that you please share.

A HUGE thank you to those who are sharing, pointing in the right direction and helping in any way that they can.

So, now you guys are actually challenging Julien on his contribution to this hobby?

http://www.therpf.com/search.php?do=finduser&userid=3740&starteronly=1&contenttype=vBForum_Thread

You have a lot of reading to do, best to get started now...

And maybe the many mistakes I made and that are documented in these threads may be of some help.
Like starting an Y-Wing without having most of the parts in hands... Not just a few, it will save time and money ! (Same applies to my Falcon, TIE and AT-AT, I will never be satisfied anyway ! :D).

And maybe the many mistakes I made and that are documented in these threads may be of some help.
Like starting an Y-Wing without having most of the parts in hands....

This is more than a little timely, Julien.

Just today I learned that someone has recently boasted of selling more than forty Y-Wing kits, all of which are of admitedly questionable accuracy structurally and shape-wise, and that some folks who already have theirs are finding that many of the original kit parts that ILM used on the original Y-Wing miniatures just won't fit when applied to this new Y-Wing kit. It's like we've gone back in time to 2004.

Is it just me, or does forty inaccurate Y-Wings kind of sound like an awful lot of inaccurate Y-Wings? Must really suck for those guys...

This is more than a little timely, Julien.

Just today I learned that someone has recently boasted of selling more than forty Y-Wing kits, all of which are of admitedly questionable accuracy structurally and shape-wise, and that some folks who already have theirs are finding that many of the original kit parts that ILM used on the original Y-Wing miniatures just won't fit when applied to this new Y-Wing kit. It's like we've gone back in time to 2004.

Is it just me, or does forty inaccurate Y-Wings kind of sound like an awful lot of inaccurate Y-Wings? Must really suck for those guys...

Who is this "someone"?

R/ Robert

I believe he's referring to DaveG and the Green Leader Project. If you're not aware, it's not a kit the files were made available for printing and an armature was posted also. He offered a run on certain items "not an entire kit". In fact here is a comment from his Google Drive.

COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS AND REVISIONS

I look forward to hearing comments and suggestions on how to improve the accuracy and usability of these parts. Likewise, in the spirit of Open-Source, I encourage others to add to, revise and improve these files and make them available for others to use and build upon as well.

Updated files can be sent to me for posting at:

Pretty nice of him actually.

I have great news! With all this Y Wing talk you guys must have got the folks motivated at EFX! The Gold Leader Y Wing Patterns and Paint masters are in route to China for production! Finally! To be released this Summer! Been watching the thread good work everybody! However for those not inclined to buy $2500 worth of kits then scratch build the beast your prayers will be answered in July 2016!! Feel free to pm me questions about the release and Gold Leader Y kits. Again great work!

Steve

I believe he's referring to DaveG and the Green Leader Project. If you're not aware, it's not a kit the files were made available for printing and an armature was posted also. He offered a run on certain items "not an entire kit". In fact here is a comment from his Google Drive.

COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS AND REVISIONS

I look forward to hearing comments and suggestions on how to improve the accuracy and usability of these parts. Likewise, in the spirit of Open-Source, I encourage others to add to, revise and improve these files and make them available for others to use and build upon as well.

Updated files can be sent to me for posting at:

Pretty nice of him actually.

I'm aware of DaveG's postings but as his efforts don't constitute a kit, perhaps "-... . .- --.." (Beaz) has someone else in mind...

R/ Robert

Wow, that quote from my site must be 15 years old or more at this point, LOL. Fast forward to the present and some things have certainly changed. Still, newcomers to the hobby might find the perspective put forth in that quote to be irritating. And yet, it was 100% true and honest based on my experience at the time.

One point I think many did not (and, perhaps, still do not) understand is the fact that, back in the day, the only way to find that mystery greeblie on your favorite starship was to buy a bunch of old kits and go through them piece by piece. If you were lucky, you might have at least some idea of what you were after (i.e. "it looks like a part from a tank"). Modelers experienced in certain genres could recognize certain details as being from a particular type of tank, truck, car engine, etc. But, we still had to take a chance buying what might have been a very expensive kit(s) in the hope we might find the part(s) we were after. If not, that money was wasted and it was time to try again (and again, and again, and again). I remember one fellow telling me he'd spent over $400 trying to find just one part. That adds up real fast and many of us ended up spending many thousands of dollars collecting kits trying to find the right details.

That was *before* people starting posting and sharing kit lists online. Back then, if you were looking for an old kit you might have to bid against someone who collected old race cars, or old tanks, or whatever. Once studio-scale modelers joined the search, the competition for rare kits increased and the prices started going up quite a bit. This is the main reason IMO some people got protective of kit info.

Today things are changing in that we now have "libraries" of kit scans available. This makes it less risky financially to locate mystery parts because you don't have to take a chance buying these kits thanks to the generosity of those who bothered to purchase and scan them and then post the scans online. Eventually, all these parts may get "digitized" and it won't matter anymore because you will be able to print what you can't buy. Until that happens, however, it can still be hard to find rare kits and it can be very expensive to acquire them when you do find them.

The bottom line is it still takes a LOT of work (and sometimes a good bit of money) to make an accurate replica. It's not just finding the parts, it's also finding a way to get the shape and proportions just right. I liken this to an artist creating a "portrait" of their subject. Unlike a pencil drawing, however, getting a good likeness of something in 3D can be very difficult. It will be up to those doing this hard work to decide what it's worth to them and whether they want to release that hard work to the rest of the world.

Things have changed a lot over the years, and it's probably easier now for new people to get started in studio-scale modeling. The information out there now is far greater than what was available back in the day. You'll still need to do your homework, but if you dig deep enough you'll find lots of "Cliff's Notes" and other types of "cheat sheets" available to help get you going.

I'm aware of DaveG's postings but as his efforts don't constitute a kit, perhaps "-... . .- --.." (Beaz) has someone else in mind...

R/ Robert

I realize that parts of this replica have been released as 3D files which folks are encouraged to download and print for themselves, but there is also his first parts run in the Project Runs forum, the first of several we are led to believe, which makes this a "kit" under any definition of that word.

To be released this Summer!

I'm sure Steve will forgive the rest of us for being more than a little skeptical on any actual eFX release of a Y-Wing replica. Might actually happen, might not, just as it has not, time and time, and time, and time, and time again.

And for the truly skeptical, there's always the possibility that this is just so much FUD. That's "Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt" for all of the kids out there who are too young to remember when Microsoft was the evil empire...

I'll add that after my eFX X-Wing came in too big and my eFX TIE has a ball that's too small, I won't be purchasing an eFX Y-Wing even if they do get around to selling one.

I think it's safe to say EFX isn't producing these products for modelers like us as we represent just a tiny fraction of all the people out there who would want such replicas. That's not to say the people making the patterns for EFX don't care about accuracy. Getting a good likeness AND getting the dims just right -- all without access to the original studio miniatures -- is unbelievably hard as many of you reading this know first hand. Sometimes your first try looks good but it just isn't quite right and you have to do it again (and again) before it really starts to get close.

If they did have access to the original models, I would of course expect things to be pretty accurate. Even then, however, it's still up to the company to decide how to manufacture something and they might choose to cut corners or make certain changes. Who knows what the thinking is behind such decisions. Considering the fickleness of the market, the complexity of the subject matter, and the costs involved, I'm amazed they even try to manufacture studio-scale replicas at all.

That's whats great about this site! Folks that can build... will. Those that cant will have an opportunity to own a studio scale replica at a fraction of what it costs to scratch build one. I cant speak to EFX past but I can say the Y Wing that will be released will be screen accurate. Wish I could elaborate but its all I can speak to at the moment. There are bigger driving forces involved now and I'm sure it will be done in the time I spoke of. Anyhow I understand the skepticism... but i hope it is delivered as described.. and those that want it will have an opportunity. Regard to accuracy of previously released MR/EFX studio scale items... its what it is.. costs..manufacturing and every other excuse could be sighted.. as an artist we can only send forward what we have at that very moment... all are sold out and fetch a pretty penny on Ebay still to this day.. the collectible market is not for the die hard studio scale accuracy market for sure. The peer review here on the Y is cool to see folks excited and working together... is refreshing.. I think there is indeed room for all both camps... Stay calm and Kitbash on!

I'll add that after my eFX X-Wing came in too big and my eFX TIE has a ball that's too small, I won't be purchasing an eFX Y-Wing even if they do get around to selling one.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back