Y-Wing Building

Bringing this to the top! Would anybody happen to have saved any or all of the pics posted in this thread? I've read this several times but without most of those images, some of the info is lost. Any help with this is appreciated!

Joe

Bringing this to the top! Would anybody happen to have saved any or all of the pics posted in this thread? I've read this several times but without most of those images, some of the info is lost. Any help with this is appreciated!

Joe
I'm with joe here. Reading this thread for the umpteenth time is incredibly rewarding, but it would be even more rewarding with some of the missing photos to boot. Anyone?

It's two years since anyone posted on this thread. Is anyone still reading this? And if so, anyone willing to help a newbie figure out what goes where on the Y-Wing studio-scale kit bash. I have about 40 of the necessary 55 or so kits, but still find much of it very confusing in terms of whether to "just use the part" or "after heavily modifying the part, use it like so" and similar questions. Grateful for anyone willing to help.

It's two years since anyone posted on this thread. Is anyone still reading this? And if so, anyone willing to help a newbie figure out what goes where on the Y-Wing studio-scale kit bash. I have about 40 of the necessary 55 or so kits, but still find much of it very confusing in terms of whether to "just use the part" or "after heavily modifying the part, use it like so" and similar questions. Grateful for anyone willing to help.

I hate to be the one, but did you use the search? In fact if you scrolled down even a little bit you'd be surprised at what you might find.

It is nuce to get help, but honestly, start building a kit scan database, focus on one model, and later you'll start seeing parts that remind you of a certain kit. Knowing your vehicles also helps. I have found a few rare parts on my own by doing lots of research. It pays to put the work in. As a newbie, you should strive to make your mark by either showing progress or contributing. Once you offer something back to the hobby, people go out of their way to help. It's the name of the game and very rewarding in the end.

Here is a little something from starshipbuilder.com that I believe needs to be posted here.

The Rules of Studio Scale Modeling...

"No matter how enthusiastic you may be in the beginning, if you get into one of these projects you will eventually realize that it requires a tremendous investment in time, energy, and money. As a result, once some people get far along into a project they tend to become protective of their hard work and research. Yes, info is shared, but only among trusted associates. The idea of publicly posting information about rare kits, etc. is abhorrent to most involved in this hobby because it renders their hard work worthless.

If you are still serious about tackling a studio-scale modeling project, you might want to know what you're getting into before taking the plunge. Here is an overview of what you can expect:

-- Start by going through all the threads on this board and
--Everyone is responsible for their own research. No one will supply "all the reference" needed or a list of "all the kits" needed for any project so please do not post these kind of requests.

-- The only way you can find the right part is if you have good reference photos. Unfortunately these can be as hard to come by as kit lists! Many good pics have been published in vintage magazines but these can be expensive to collect. (I paid anywhere from $5 to $25 EACH, for example, for all the magazines I have in my collection.) Star Wars modelers have a real advantage here because most of the studio miniatures have been on public display and therefore more photos are available now than ever before.

-- Once you have some photos, you can start collecting kits, but you will find that the cost adds up fast. Since many of these kits are vintage and no longer available, this can get very expensive in a hurry.

-- Remember that just because a kit is listed on this or any other site does NOT mean it was actually used on a particular studio miniature. Many times people think they found the right kit when in fact they did not and, as a result, there is some erroneous info out there. Only by purchasing kits and searching through parts will you know for sure that you have the right ones.

The more prominent a certain kit becomes the harder it can be to find. This is why people are not willing to give away their hard-earned kit lists anymore.

Hopefully you can now begin to see why people aren't very forthcoming these days with either reference photos or kit lists. I hope that by posting this I haven't discouraged you, but I simply want to be realistic about what is involved."

Thanks Charles.

I think this is a good reminder :)

Having a textbook is having all the information needed to take said exam.:)
Dont think so, you have the keys to resolve problems (maths, philosophy and so on).
The true things when you're asking to think by yourself to find an answer, not something you've learnt without thinking.

Having a textbook is having all the information needed to take said exam.:)

Well said! The "exam" is not the parts map and other research information, it's the building of the model. If everyone that ever discovered something refused to share it we'd all still be building models out of plaster and wood. Actually we'd also be having to mine the gypsum and chop down the trees too. We should be doing everything we can to encourage people to join into this hobby, not saying "if you don't contribute you can't play".

Think of how much we've all benefited from people like Wasili posting photos of the Star Wars models on exhibit. Where would be be if he had said "I have all these great reference pictures but I'm not going to share them since it will make them worthless. Go take your own."

Well said! The "exam" is not the parts map and other research information, it's the building of the model. If everyone that ever discovered something refused to share it we'd all still be building models out of plaster and wood. Actually we'd also be having to mine the gypsum and chop down the trees too. We should be doing everything we can to encourage people to join into this hobby, not saying "if you don't contribute you can't play".

Think of how much we've all benefited from people like Wasili posting photos of the Star Wars models on exhibit. Where would be be if he had said "I have all these great reference pictures but I'm not going to share them since it will make them worthless. Go take your own."

Yeah these days are fantastic, you can even buy already made and painted models ! I've heard eFX is going to release its new fantastic Y-Wing very soon !

If I thought I thought what I think I thought I would have thought that thought,
If I would not have thought what I think I thought I would not have thought in the first place.

One thing I learned at work many years ago (retail)...
I can think anything I want. Just don't say what I thought.
Yup, lesson well learned as I was in the hot seat for doing just that to a customer. lol

Yeah these days are fantastic, you can even buy already made and painted models ! I've heard eFX is going to release its new fantastic Y-Wing very soon !

To me, the buying of the already made and painted models and or replicas is cheating. It is like, here is the answer to the questions.

Well said Dave. I think it's assumed by many that if you do not post often or if you are a new member that you have not done any research. I find that quite a few of the long time members here that are very protective of any information sure have a lot of old posts where they were asking a lot of the same question years ago. Everyone starts from somewhere.

To protect information on something you don't own or have not created yourself in the first place does not make a whole lot of sense. Unless someone figured out every part of every kit on there own without looking through old threads or asking someone, they have no room to talk. And to clarify, I don't feal this way about anyone involved in this current conversation on this thread.

To me, the buying of the already made and painted models and or replicas is cheating. It is like, here is the answer to the questions.
You understood my irony !! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Well said Dave. I think it's assumed by many that if you do not post often or if you are a new member that you have not done any research. I find that quite a few of the long time members here that are very protective of any information sure have a lot of old posts where they were asking a lot of the same question years ago. Everyone starts from somewhere.

To protect information on something you don't own or have not created yourself in the first place does not make a whole lot of sense. Unless someone figured out every part of every kit on there own without looking through old threads or asking someone, they have no room to talk.

Re-read the quote I made of Charles Adams, you'll understand why people are so "protective".

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back