Y-Wing Building

Your doing a fine job Ron, i think it looks great, and lets face it, if you listened to much to nay sayers, you would get nothing done, so seeing this become a physical shape soon, is pretty exciting!

lee

I'm just saying that the Y was and always as been about the parts. Depth,width,length,height, all these factors become relevant with the parts in hand.
The cockpit firewall and the interior give away the size of it.

Whatever makes you happy man. I've never understood CG prototyping for this type of project.

Jamie there are many builds, and sub builds in studio scale that rely on parts dimensions, if EVERY one of these builds had vast areas un identified,and therefore the builder decided never to carry on, then the studio scale section of this board would be very dry indeed.

I think a good friend said it best a while back "how many builds here, are 100% authentic".....answer, none.

Even the new TIE by NiceN isnt 100%, quite a way from it, i think what Ron is doing,is putting his many years of research, into building a model he will cherish, not losing his mind worrying it may not be 100% accurate, and while i applaud the dedication you show Jamie, it doesnt really bring a completed model to any form of fruition does it?

That said, im sure your new Y kit will be pretty nice, but 100% accurate, hell no, as you would have completed your own scratchbuild if that was the case bud!

bests.....lee

One of the Y-wings in ESB was fan-made!
It was built right after the 1st film's release. The guy made it up from what pics & info he could acquire. (vaguely similar to Flint's CG build adventure)
AND - Most of the 'detail-bits' on the fan-build were - Not Accurate-Original "Found" model-parts.
Anyway, ...this Y-wing model was seen by SFX people & word of this unique model & it's exceptionally talented builder - got back to George. The guy ended-up getting Hired by Lucas & his Y-wing was used 'on-screen' in ESB! True-Story!
That same Y-wing was part of the very 1st SW model & costume tour. I'm not sure if this Y-wing is part of the any current tour or on-display at this time.

Thee Moral of this story is that there are 2 different screen-Accurate Y-wings & one of them was Fan-made by a guy - just like Flint!
I wish the very Best of Luck & Skill to You - Flint (aKa Ron(?)!!!

Last edited:
Yeah thats the Bill George Y, it is part of the tours now, and is currently on tour.
He was hired by ILM, and went on to work on ROTJ, building props such as the B wing and Tyderium, he had a hand on many of the models built for ROTJ as it goes.

His Y, was idealised, and is considered not a true Y wing, but for me, it was used for the movies, therefore, its got a lot of heritage, regardless of what others may say!

lee

I agree to dis-agree, it was on-screen depicting a Y-wing with George's full knowledge & blessing, e.g. though Different, it Is also an Official - Star Wars Y-wing!
I have a friends in SFX & it IS considered by most of them to be (in-fact) a "true SW Y-wing".
My telling of this true story was to encourage Flint, Not to start a debate. Carry on gentlemen...

Last edited:
:confused I was agreeing with you, im all for the BG Y wing, i even stated i consider it of a filming mini pedigree and WAS screen used, so what exactly are you disagreeing with, are you like.....mad?

lee

Even the new TIE by NiceN isnt 100%, quite a way from it,

I'd like you to back this one up Lee. How is it that every part is found, every dimension nailed and you don't think it's 100%? Please elaborate and do it in the Tie thread. I'll give you that the armature is slightly idealized to accommodate the casting.

Come on man pony up... Better yet I'd like to see you tackle such a build. Come on bright boy and your "quite away from it" garbage.

Y-parts (info)... Why under any circumstance would I ever give up what I know on the model? And on a board... :confused

I'd like you to back this one up Lee. How is it that every part is found, every dimension nailed and you don't think it's 100%? Please elaborate and do it in the Tie thread. I'll give you that the armature is slightly idealized to accommodate the casting.

Well I wanted to stay away from that but...

SWpropmaker said exactly the same thing about the SS ROTJ AT-ST... all parts found, dimensions dead on to the millimeter... we can see the result.

Please dont say your new TIE Fighter is 100% accurate and that you have all the parts... that's not true.
Some examples :

The upper hatch frame and plating are the wrong thickness.
The kitpart under the canopy between the 2 hetzer parts is obviously not found since it's scratchbuilt.
I dont want a fight and like I said on the TIE Fighter thread, John did an awesome job and Im very pleased with the result but please, dont say it's 100% accurate...

His Y, was idealised, and is considered not a true Y wing
I was agreeing with you & disagreeing with those who would even dare to consider it less than what it is. A True Y!
Mad? who, me? :eekSome call me mad as a hatter, but that's another tall tale...

I was agreeing with you & disagreeing with those who would even dare to consider it less than what it is. A True Y!
Mad? who, me? :eekSome call me mad as a hatter, but that's another tall tale...

Lee made the point that he considers it a 'real prop' while your following 'agree to disagree' comment appeared to be disputing him as if he'd said the opposite. That's all.

In general...the new TIE is awesome. Ron's Y will be awesome. Jamie's Y will be awesome. NOTHING is 100% unless it has the original studio asymmetries and wonkinesses. Who wants that? It's all good. Pax, fer Chrissake!

Come on man pony up... Better yet I'd like to see you tackle such a build. Come on bright boy and your "quite away from it" garbage.

Y-parts (info)... Why under any circumstance would I ever give up what I know on the model? And on a board... :confused

Back what up Jamie, youve lost me, are you at 100% now?, your a god :lol, i think you have been at the imported beer again?
Ill back it up, when your next batch of kits are out there, and the claims of 100% accuracy surface again, then we'll have a good chuckle at you, not with you!
Anyways, stop being a Captain Cntrl Key, i think others are allowed to build stuff, without your new sales pitch position taking precedent :lol

lee

...others are allowed to build stuff, without your new sales pitch position taking precedent.
I agree to agree!!! I have seen a Lot of props that claim to be 100% accurate, absolutely correct, holy grail, whatever... & while they are Beautiful & Excellent builds - you will typically find a few factual discrepancies & honest/simple mistakes. Such is Life...
When false claims of 'Supremacy' over all previous builds & other builders are made, you will typically find a pompous builder, who also happens to be a Seller:rolleyes! For me - It's very uncomfortable to read, when these boastful comments & false claims are insulting to everyone but that builder, his few friends & his fans (aKa Clients).

I'm finding it more & more difficult to appreciate Great Talent & Genuine Skill - when it is coupled with insufferable Arrogance & a vicious Ego.

And that's what I've got to say about that...
"Have a Better one!" - BladeRunner

Last edited:
Like I said Lee back ANY of YOUR claims up. Or do you need your buddies to come to your defence? You've been acting like a pent up school girl for awhile now. Get the **** over it. I say I don't see how solid dimensions can be made from CG and you get a burr up your backside, grow up.

Like I said Lee back ANY of YOUR claims up. Or do you need your buddies to come to your defence? You've been acting like a pent up school girl for awhile now. Get the **** over it. I say I don't see how solid dimensions can be made from CG and you get a burr up your backside, grow up.

For the fuselage I got the dimensions from looking at pictures of the originals and measuring the parts I have, THEN I put it into CAD. The head measurements are a combination of the Fine Molds Y and the reference shots I have. I also have all the parts that go on the back wall of the head section, so that also factors in. I don't have the cockpit parts, but I really don't see how that would nail down the dimensions any further. NO they are not "solid" measurements, but so what? I don't have access to any better reference. If I did, then I would do better.

As it is, it looks pretty good doesn't it? You can't tell it's wrong by looking at it. Your complaints are purely conceptual. And you won't help anyone out with any information, so what do you suggest, I give up and buy your kit because it has "solid" measurements? My CAD model is not a "prototype". The parts are getting printed on a 3D printer and will become the actual bases for the masters.

At any rate, Jamie, you never told me anything I didn't already know. So I am not sure what you wished to accomplish. You seem to have accomplished nothing but to tick people off. Why is it you seem to be so good at that? You never contribute to anyone's progress on this but your own, and then you come here to taunt people who are trying to learn more. I'll never know how you made the friends who helped YOU. This board is for discussion and collaboration - actual CONTRIBUTION. You do nothing but taunt. Mods, is a permaban too much to ask for?

What work I've done on MY Y wing suits me just fine. It looks good, and MY opinion is the only one that really matters - because it's MY project, not yours.

Ron,

Look man I could care less who buys what. I can't make that any clearer. I mentioned that a lot of footwork had been done already especially with the cockpit. Many dimension issues had been figured out due to recent reference and you might want to consider buying one to save yourself a headache. That's it, and that is all. I have no agenda in the realm of "kit producing". I've been asked by people to lay my cards out on the table with other like minded individuals to once and for all produce models in a way never before tried. It's been fun and continues to be so.

What I said here was I don't see how one can get accurate dimensions via CGI on this particular project without the parts in hand. Say what you will but it's been my experience that with SW models the parts make the build as it leaves no guess work.

If you want to take that as a taunt... OK whatever. :rolleyes You want to take everything I say and twist them to suit you, go ahead. Now you sound like Lee.

These threads haven't been collaborative in years. Discussion wise sure, but collaborative died a long time ago for many a reason. Basically the age old reason that people started expecting info to run freely into the hands of those never willing to pound the pavement for themselves.

Lee and Julian have had an agenda against Steve and anyone who works with him for the longest time. It's petty and pathetic. As far as I'm concerned they are permanently on my ignore list.

Regards,

Jamie

For the fuselage I got the dimensions from looking at pictures of the originals and measuring the parts I have, THEN I put it into CAD. The head measurements are a combination of the Fine Molds Y and the reference shots I have. I also have all the parts that go on the back wall of the head section, so that also factors in. I don't have the cockpit parts, but I really don't see how that would nail down the dimensions any further. NO they are not "solid" measurements, but so what? I don't have access to any better reference. If I did, then I would do better.

As it is, it looks pretty good doesn't it? You can't tell it's wrong by looking at it. Your complaints are purely conceptual. And you won't help anyone out with any information, so what do you suggest, I give up and buy your kit because it has "solid" measurements? My CAD model is not a "prototype". The parts are getting printed on a 3D printer and will become the actual bases for the masters.

At any rate, Jamie, you never told me anything I didn't already know. So I am not sure what you wished to accomplish. You seem to have accomplished nothing but to tick people off. Why is it you seem to be so good at that? You never contribute to anyone's progress on this but your own, and then you come here to taunt people who are trying to learn more. I'll never know how you made the friends who helped YOU. This board is for discussion and collaboration - actual CONTRIBUTION. You do nothing but taunt. Mods, is a permaban too much to ask for?

What work I've done on MY Y wing suits me just fine. It looks good, and MY opinion is the only one that really matters - because it's MY project, not yours.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back