Fallout 3/New Vegas "Combat Shotgun" build (FINAL PIX P.4!)

Volpin

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
hey all! Been a while since I fired up a new thread, but now the the Dragon*Con prep insanity is over I can finally get back to posting and documenting the stuff I'm working on.

I got a commission a bit ago to build a Combat Shotgun from Fallout. So far I've been in planning stages, with a little bit of work, but I'll be updating this thread as things move forward. Started with some blueprints:

7983937440_d76dbb87d8_b.jpg

The design is lifted pretty heavily from a Russian WWII machine gun, the PPSH-41. Barrel heat sink, drum magazine, etc. This sort of explains why a magazine-fed 10ga shotgun would have a set of rifle sights on it, not to mention the auto/semi switch in front of the trigger. In the games, the gun is semi-auto only. Maybe that's the safety now? Who knows.

The PPSH-41. The barrel on this guy is about 6" shorter than the Combat Shotgun.

600912.jpg

The final piece will have a removable drum (I'll be building a spare magazine as well) along with a moving trigger and cocking lever. I still don't know how this thing is supposed to fire, with the drum so far forward and the casing eject way at the back. Whatever, videogame magic.

So far I've only got some small parts done. The rear sight was assembled from laminated acrylic laser cut parts. For durability, I'll be molding this little guy and pulling a copy in resin.

7983932265_44ba76f870_b.jpg

The magazine will be made from vacformed ABS plastic. I've got the bucks for the front and rear sections of the drum finished. The actual curved side will be one long vacformed part that will be curved and glued into the inside lip of the drum ends.

7983932129_45c04c98f8_b.jpg

Working on the stock. This is scaled to the exact size of a PPSH-41. Using red oak for durability.

7987154422_258e77837a_b.jpg

The barrel, heat sink and several other parts of this project are going to made out of aluminum stock. I actually bought a mini mill just for this project, but I've kind of always wanted one anyways, so it was a good excuse.

7983932007_85bf83ff94_c.jpg

Testing the mill out on some scrap pieces. I have a fair bit of experience with mills, though admittedly the last time I used one was nearly 8 years ago. Need a bit of practice before cranking on the final parts.

7987154138_f300bde06c_b.jpg

More to come soon!

Last edited:
Re: Fallout 3/New Vegas "Combat Shotgun" build

Awesome looking start. What was it that necessitated the mill? All the holes in the heat sink, or just the fact that a lot of this is aluminium as opposed to plastic?
Just that you've alway produced great results in the past without one.

I suppose it'll come in handy for the wooden grip as well.

Gonna watch this with interest.

I really wish I could do blueprints like that, it would be a nice way to improve my building process. Good luck with the build Harrison, Make that video game magic come to life !

can't wait to see the finished product. Will you be doing a heavy weathering on this?

A good start to what looks like it will be an awesome build. I'm a big Fallout fan, and your work is very inspiring.

On another note, how do you make the blueprints? Do you somehow import the models from the game into Autodesk Inventor and scale them?

Subbed.

Great stuff as usual. I would also like to know what you use for the blueprints.

A good start to what looks like it will be an awesome build. I'm a big Fallout fan, and your work is very inspiring.

On another note, how do you make the blueprints? Do you somehow import the models from the game into Autodesk Inventor and scale them?

Subbed.
I believe he draws them in Adobe Illustrator.

What was it that necessitated the mill? All the holes in the heat sink, or just the fact that a lot of this is aluminium as opposed to plastic?

The heat sink, mostly, and the fact that I've always wanted a mill! I could have done the vents with a dremel tool and a lot of patience, but I wanted a bit more precision.

Will you be doing a heavy weathering on this?

Oh, definitely. The full wasteland treatment.

how do you make the blueprints? Do you somehow import the models from the game into Autodesk Inventor and scale them?

My blueprints are little more than elaborate tracings, really. I just gather as much reference as possible and copy the design in Illustrator. I don't have any 3D modeling experience or knowledge, so I work with what my Graphic Design training taught me.

I spent way too much time with "the terrible shotgun" in fallout 3 so I'm really excited to see this finished. Looks awesome so far!

Nice!

Really though if you want the best one you need to go to Evergreen Mills and shoot that Raider loving trader (my excuse...), Smiling Jack, and get The Terrible Shotgun! :lol I think the models are exactly the same though.

I've always been impressed with the way Volpin lays out his process, step by step.

Keep at it, good sir! I'm always eager to see what you'll create next!

This is going to be another great build that will, unfortunately, make me realize (yet again) that I have nowhere near your talent!

I am currently taking a Modern Manufacturing class and got to play on a Bridgeport Vertical Mill for the first time! I REALLY want one now! Does anyone have a spare $5-6K that they're willing to donate?!

Please keep up the great work so that I may continue to have worthy goals to shoot stuff at!

Apart from this build being very promising, I wanted to say that making the outer-border thicker, like in in your blueprints, is very nice. I will try this for my next Mass effect 3- blueprint project!

Really though if you want the best one you need to go to Evergreen Mills and shoot that Raider loving trader (my excuse...), Smiling Jack, and get The Terrible Shotgun! :lol I think the models are exactly the same though.

Yep! My client actually requested the "Terrible Shotgun" but they're the same model, so the design is interchangeable. I guess I have an issue firing up a thread and telling people I'm making a "terrible shotgun" - conjured up images of hotglue and toilet paper tubes.

Apart from this build being very promising, I wanted to say that making the outer-border thicker, like in in your blueprints, is very nice. I will try this for my next Mass effect 3- blueprint project!

An old trick from my graphic design days - a professor of mine who taught a marker rendering class (yes, I went to school when that was a requirement!) showed us that a thicker border would add more weight and dimension to illustrations. Haven't been able to kick the habit since.

He's going to eat Hershey kisses, and wipe his fingers on it.

M&Ms work if you feel like mixing colors.

Really, I find that store bought brown acrylics work well. They have a sort of muddy "gray" feel to them, not too rich in color, so they look like "wasteland" dirt.

Okay, I promise I'm actually working on this thing!

I drove a wood chisel into my index finger yesterday, so there may be a bit of a delay in progress until that heals up a bit. Luckily, I have some to show.

After a LOT of shaping and grinding, the stock is mostly finished. I used a big nasty grinding drum on my air sander for the larger percentage of the work, and some bigger chunks were also removed with the earlier-mentioned chisel. This is red oak, so it's very dense but splinters easily. Should look pretty once it's stained though.

8006558104_f48a879cf4_b.jpg

8006554699_e29fb27271_b.jpg

Worked on milling the heat shield for the barrel. Got all the side holes done, but there will need to be a fair bit more mounting holes and small threaded parts for the sights and such added later on.

8006554421_c0bec68ba1_b.jpg

8006557820_c6e56a48c5_b.jpg

8009314327_ca04dfe4d3_b.jpg

I've got both of the magazines pulled and one trimmed up. Not glued or assembled yet because I'll be needing to add magnets to the inside to get it to lock in place later on. Also they need a bit more parts added onto them to make them look less... well, less vacformed.

Vac former bucks
8006557480_22544361d6_b.jpg

Pulled in 1/16" ABS
8006553849_e55797c8df_b.jpg

Center section clamped to some PVC and heated to keep cylindrical shape
8006553703_e7a56cc336_b.jpg

And assembled
8006557032_af5635826e_b.jpg

8006553379_3580b434f2_b.jpg

Lastly, got the receiver (is that the correct term?) for the drum magazine cut from some 1/8" acrylic. These parts will need a bit more layering, but the basic frame is finished at least.

8009314651_64ed4a95bf_b.jpg

8009322036_b79dae359f_b.jpg

More to come after my hand heals a bit!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back