Fallout 3/New Vegas "Combat Shotgun" build (FINAL PIX P.4!)

Re: Fallout 3/New Vegas "Combat Shotgun" build

Back to the Shotgun:

This is the interior of one of the magazines, which will never see the light of day again now that they're all sealed up. The acrylic cross brace makes sure the front and back plates don't buckle, and the styrene ring keeps the outer piece of ABS aligned with the lip on the front and rear caps.

8078761991_a9fa3de7dc_c.jpg

This is the big brick of a ceramic magnet that sits inside the drum magazine. It's epoxied onto a piece of ABS pipe.

8073782766_e5c1cfc4cd_b.jpg

This plunks into the magazine into a set of circular cutouts. There was a lot of sanding that took place after welding these pieces of ABS together, but I was a little eager to get things under paint and I didn't get a shot of it.

8073790001_73e3594f9a_b.jpg

8073782406_fb42ebd234_b.jpg

There's a flat sheet on the front of both magazines with a rounded shape at the top which fits into a U-shaped slot in the magazine receiver. While the magnets keep the magazine pulled up next to the heat shield, these pieces slot together to make sure nothing moves side-to-side.

The little wing nut on the front of the magazine was made from a mill centering tool and some pieces of acrylic I super glued together, then molded. It has a threaded rod inserted in it so it can be screwed into place.

8078650562_bd5c47656a_b.jpg

8078650448_e771b745f5_b.jpg

Last couple of holes drilled and tapped for the rear sight and... rail, I guess? Not really sure what that thing is in the back.

8078650350_b06a2de489_b.jpg

Everything blown apart and primed in flat black. Painting parts tomorrow!

8078650226_72e8470c02_b.jpg

8078650632_3e179762af_b.jpg

Lookin' sweet, as usual. Nothing to see here! :)

Amazing work, can't wait to see the final product!

More work. Should be done by Monday!

Base coated all the parts in Testors gunmetal after a pass with black primer.

8084811599_464ac963a0_b.jpg

The aluminum bits were easy to weather and highlight, just passed a sanding sponge across the edges.

8084811351_c1b093cd66_b.jpg

For the plastic bits, I used Testors metallic aluminum brush paint for a few dry brushed accents. Clear coating dulled these slightly so I'll go back over them in a few places to bring them out more.

8084809138_be7897d0e4_b.jpg

8084808748_8fb3567e25_b.jpg

My client wanted his company logo "carved" into the butt plate as though someone had done it by hand roughly in the post-apocalyptic world. The first pass (shown screwed to the stock) worked great! Unfortunately I carved the damned thing in upside down. Hence the second butt plate with carving, sitting in front of it.

8084810993_209cc61f5c_b.jpg

Assembly tomorrow after clear coat dries!

This is insane!!! Can't wait to see it all together. Do you have a costume to go with it?

This is insane!!! Can't wait to see it all together. Do you have a costume to go with it?

It's headed to a fan film shoot, so I'm guessing they will!

Parts all ready to go....

8087528079_d9e450e8f2_b.jpg

....and assembled! Holding this thing feels SO COOL. A little grit and grime in the seams, and we'll be 100% finished.

8087527620_290b274077_b.jpg

I've just been walking around the house with this. Feels so good to have it all in one piece.

8088232118_fc184570e9_b.jpg

8088231711_ccfde73436_b.jpg

Love the detail and look of the gun. That would be cool if they made a real life version.

This is just fantastically amazing, just like everything else you make! Season 1 was great, and with folks like you working on it season 2 is promising to be just mind bogglingly awesome!

Wow...speechless. Looks as if you pulled it right out from the game. Amazing job!

Will the short film be available for anyone to view?

The things some people can make. o_o

When you have it on your back, does the magazine move from its own weight pressing against your back?

Thanks for all the compliments everyone!

Will the short film be available for anyone to view?

Yep! They're shooting first week in November, and the series will air on YouTube (I think on Machinima's channel, though not certain)

When you have it on your back, does the magazine move from its own weight pressing against your back?

Nope, the little registration tab I put at the front of the magazine and the **** on the magazine holder keeps everything locked in tight. Between that and the magnets, there's zero wiggle on the magazine. Even on your back it stays put.

I added a couple riveted D-rings to the magazines so the spare can be clipped to a belt for some added cool factor while shooting. I need to figure out a way to keep these from rattling though, since it reverberates in the empty magazine and sounds crummy...

8101793913_91a85fb0cc_b.jpg

Heading out to take some nice photos on Saturday, should be a fun time!

*bows down* We are not worthy!!

:D This is fantastic. Your work is amazing and every time I see more of it, it helps me stay motivated to work on my own stuff.

First shot from the photoshoot is done! More to come...

8119290293_d2c5b0b14d_b.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back